Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #91
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Nope. Terrible idea. I hate the thought of spam in any of my ebooks.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #92
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I get to read online comics for free because they have ads. I wouldn't have a problem with this happening with books.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #93
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I can only pray ads in books never take off. Magazines and newspapers these days are 90 percent ads. Even the articles that are in them are mostly regurgitated. No one is paying for new material, but all the money is ad-based.

I think in the long run book quality would suffer. If publishers are focused on making money on ads, they would care a lot less about the content--and not be willing to pay much for that content because it would then be a direct EXPENSE against the ad revenue (see magazine example I mentioned.) More and more books would probably be work for hire (at low pay) rather than creative and growing stories.

I was hesitant to buy the Kindle with ads because I didn't want to appear to support ads. I probably made a mistake by buying it for several reasons.

There will always be good books, but I do believe it is important for consumers to speak with their wallets--pay for the books you love because I don't think I want someone whose focus is ads to be making decisions on how long a book is or what is in it.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #94
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
"Jack Reacher tore himself away from Keryl Raist's latest novel[link] and smoothly drew his Glock from its holster."

Probably something that fit a little better, but yes.

If I was writing chic lit, I might mention Libertine Cosmetics in a scene where a character is getting ready for a date.

Plus, you might also toss a link to Glock in there, too.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #95
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
Probably something that fit a little better, but yes.

If I was writing chic lit, I might mention Libertine Cosmetics in a scene where a character is getting ready for a date.

Plus, you might also toss a link to Glock in there, too.
And the fact that Glocks don't jam.

Got Glock?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #96
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I can only pray ads in books never take off. Magazines and newspapers these days are 90 percent ads. Even the articles that are in them are mostly regurgitated. No one is paying for new material, but all the money is ad-based.

I think in the long run book quality would suffer. If publishers are focused on making money on ads, they would care a lot less about the content--and not be willing to pay much for that content because it would then be a direct EXPENSE against the ad revenue (see magazine example I mentioned.) More and more books would probably be work for hire (at low pay) rather than creative and growing stories.

I was hesitant to buy the Kindle with ads because I didn't want to appear to support ads. I probably made a mistake by buying it for several reasons.

There will always be good books, but I do believe it is important for consumers to speak with their wallets--pay for the books you love because I don't think I want someone whose focus is ads to be making decisions on how long a book is or what is in it.
This is another area where having the author control the content would be a good thing. Your book could be ad free. Mine could have links to the songs listed in it. Someone else could have every third word linked with huge glowing neon flashing ads every five hundred words. To each his or her own.

As long as you control your content, you can get exactly what you like.

As long as you're upfront about what's in it, the readers can chose as they so desire.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #97
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
This is another area where having the author control the content would be a good thing. Your book could be ad free. Mine could have links to the songs listed in it. Someone else could have every third word linked with huge glowing neon flashing ads every five hundred words. To each his or her own.

As long as you control your content, you can get exactly what you like.

As long as you're upfront about what's in it, the readers can chose as they so desire.
I'm simply not as enamored as you are. Authors often don't make enough money to survive, which means if ads become at all common or acceptable, they will become more common until they will be very difficult to avoid.

Some product mentions are already done in magazines and some YA books (there was a big hoopla about it last year when people found out that some makeup company paid to be mentioned in a popular YA book.) Probably happens more than we realize it NOW and this is before linking, flashing lights and whatnot.

All that said, I believe Sedona drives a Mercedes in Book one. Huntington drives ... I can't remember. He drove a Lexus in one of the books. If either car company would like to contact me to test for a few months/years EITHER vehicle, just let me know. I will be happy to test them out and, if deserving, put in any pertinent details in future books should my characters continue to drive them. Please include nifty gadgets because I like gadgets and they would be very likely to get some page time if I think they are way cool.

If there is any company out there that has a robo-maid, I'd really like to test that too...
Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #98
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
I would accept advertisements if they were placed on pages kept separate from the actual content in the back of the e-book.

I will never ever accept advertisements which compete with actual content. And I would never accept distracting, immersion destroying advertisements in the middle of the book either. I would stop reading first, like I virtually stopped watching commercial tv. I consider that filth unwatchable. Books with advertisements next to the text I would consider unreadable garbage. I do not read garbage. I throw it away.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #99
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Not only no, but Hell NO! Advertising and promoting has infected just about every type of content on the planet and I do NOT want it invading my enjoyment of reading.

It's a miserable, dreadful idea.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #100
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
And the fact that Glocks don't jam.

Got Glock?
I have had a Glock jam on me before.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #101
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Imagine this:

To be or not to be, that is the question, Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles... and while you ponder such question, don't forget to refresh yourself with a delicious Coca-Cola because nothing beats the delicious, refreshing taste of ...

Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #102
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
There is no way I'd be reading a book with advertisements peppered through it. I don't even understand how internet advertising works. I never click on anything, or even read the ads. If there is something flashing, or any type of animation, I find it so distracting that I scroll away from it. If I came across a flashing ad in an ebook, I think that would be the end of ebooks for me.

Product placement is a different issue. Authors presently use brand names to make their books seem more realistic. They don't get paid for it, and I'd hate to see a situation where they do. Having said that, there is one novel (Gone, a YA novel) that I think was sponsored by McDonald's. It was so over-the-top it was absurd.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #103
Keryl Raist
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I'm simply not as enamored as you are. Authors often don't make enough money to survive, which means if ads become at all common or acceptable, they will become more common until they will be very difficult to avoid.

Some product mentions are already done in magazines and some YA books (there was a big hoopla about it last year when people found out that some makeup company paid to be mentioned in a popular YA book.) Probably happens more than we realize it NOW and this is before linking, flashing lights and whatnot.

All that said, I believe Sedona drives a Mercedes in Book one. Huntington drives ... I can't remember. He drove a Lexus in one of the books. If either car company would like to contact me to test for a few months/years EITHER vehicle, just let me know. I will be happy to test them out and, if deserving, put in any pertinent details in future books should my characters continue to drive them. Please include nifty gadgets because I like gadgets and they would be very likely to get some page time if I think they are way cool.

If there is any company out there that has a robo-maid, I'd really like to test that too...
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't mind if the Toyota guys wanted to give me a car to test out as well...

I'd rather see authors find ways to make enough money writing to support themselves than have extra jobs, and if ads allow that, all the better.

But I'm a pretty laid-back, hard to bother type. I'm not going to put down a story I like because there's ads in it. I didn't stop watching TV because of the ads, I left because the content got so lame. I don't skip magazines because of the ads either, though once again, I will skip them for lame content.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #104
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
There is no way I'd be reading a book with advertisements peppered through it. I don't even understand how internet advertising works. I never click on anything, or even read the ads. If there is something flashing, or any type of animation, I find it so distracting that I scroll away from it. If I came across a flashing ad in an ebook, I think that would be the end of ebooks for me.

Product placement is a different issue. Authors presently use brand names to make their books seem more realistic. They don't get paid for it, and I'd hate to see a situation where they do. Having said that, there is one novel (Gone, a YA novel) that I think was sponsored by McDonald's. It was so over-the-top it was absurd.
Oh the irony. Your signature is an ad...

And yes, some authors have been paid to mention certain products in their books or so I have read on galleycat (a publishing rag). There was similar discussion about product "placement" and whether it should be allowed. I'd actually prefer non-obvious product placement to an ad, but I'd also prefer no ads. I think it does interfere with the reading experience and can cause those who produce the product to spend more time on obtaining Ad revenue than a quality product.

I used to do reviews for a large review site (I was unpaid as were all the reviewers.) When they started making money off of movie trailers and ads, the book reviews and forums were pushed to the background and eventually the forum was closed. The book reviews continued in the background, but there were less and less discussions--pretty soon the entire site because a bunch of "ads." The more ad opportunities that came in, the further other stuff was pushed away.

Lately, I hear they are trying to go back to their "base." I'm guessing that's partly because if all you have is ads, you end up with no audience. And if you have no audience and no discussion, the ad people don't want to waste time buying ad space on your site.

I can see the same thing happening to an author. We want to write a good book, but maybe the last book didn't sell so well. We're in the hole, we need money, the next book has to do well. We want to buy that extra cool artwork and to get that artwork, well, we're going to have to put in extra ads to pay for it. Sure I think the book/prose is AWESOME, but I've got to spend a few days working in these extra ads. Maybe I can also pick up a few product placement ads. Gotta work those in and so now, instead of a great action scene, I work in a clever little Dr. Pepper can that gets run over by my character's waaaay cool Can-am Spyder--all before my character shoots the guy chasing her.

Getting the ads in the first place is going to take a few weeks of networking because I'm no Janet Evanovich. These people aren't going to come to me. I'll have to go looking. That's a few more weeks where instead of working prose, I'm working ads...

The same focus could easily happen a big publisher. Instead of the editor and author going over last minute changes to improve storyline, well, they gotta change the protag's favorite drink from Gin and tonic to MinuteMaid Orange Juice. And you gotta make your hard core PI, who now drinks screwdrivers, specify that he buys Minutemaid...I dunno. Maybe it's me but it might be hard to keep the tough guy in character as he's discussing Minute maid orange juice...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #105
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If I want to see ads, then I can watch commercial TV or read a magazine.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote