Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Anyone taking their eReader to the beach?

Summer holidays are here, so my annual hunt to find a good book to read on the beach is underway. However, I think it would be a bit high risk to take my eReader, so I will revert to paper.

Am I being too careful?
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I would, but I haven't been to the beach since I got a reader. Funny, I live in Hawaii ... lotsa sun and lotsa sand, and I rarely (hardly ever) go to the beach. And it’s ALWAYS summer here! Well ... sometimes it's almost summer.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yup. It has been to the beach in the US, New zealand, and Austalia. It is going to the river again in a few days.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Well..........

Rather depends on the sort of high jinks you get up to on the beach !

But minimum is a "ziplock" sealable-type clear plastic bag, for waterproofing protection from you or others returning from swim and shaking dripping follicles & limbs in all directions.
Oh, readers don't function too well underwater, don't try !

If it's a pebble beach, more care needed - padded cover/bubblewrap packet, that sort of stuff. Bit dicey, really. Drop it once and that might be that........

I've successfully used one on a hot sandy beach scenario, but frankly, the precautions needed to feel "safe", and the stress involved (!), plus the worry someone might nick it while you're cavorting in the briney, made me decide paper probably easier all round !

I'd say keep it for the hotel/villa/caravan/campervan/ tent...sleeping bag ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
While I haven't taken my Kindle to the beach, I have taken it to a club and laid out by the pool. I just cover it with a towel when I'm in the water.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.

Get a good Dry Bag from a marine supply store or big box sporting good.
Or order one from amazon.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I'm taking mine with me to the hotel pool when I go aboard. Bit concerned as to what to do with it whilst swimming, hopefully me and the OH will not be in the pool at the same time. Otherwise will have to leave it in my bag and just keep an eye on it from the pool. The resort should be quite quiet so hopefully no issues, it's insured in any case.

I'll be using a waterproof case from Amazon.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't take my ereader into the great outdoors; but I do take my audiobook player everywhere I go. It's tiny size makes it easy to protect from the elements without having to buy accessories.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Beach and camping.

But, in my handy dandy Trendy Digital waterproof case.
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I'm taking mine with me to the hotel pool when I go aboard. Bit concerned as to what to do with it whilst swimming, hopefully me and the OH will not be in the pool at the same time. Otherwise will have to leave it in my bag and just keep an eye on it from the pool. The resort should be quite quiet so hopefully no issues, it's insured in any case.

I'll be using a waterproof case from Amazon.
This made me wonder. How many of you who take your ereaders to beaches, pools, etc. set a password on it if possible to protect against someone buying on your account if the device is stolen. I have a kindle and it is possible to set a password. I haven't done it yet, but I haven't taken it in a public setting yet either.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I take mine every year (in addition to reading I use it to store reference photos of the things which I'm building out sand sculptures of) --- I just put it in a Zip-loc™ style plastic bag.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I take my ereader into the bath all the time. I just use a ziplock bag in case I accidentally drop it.

Last time I was at the beach I opted for a bargain bin paperback because I didn't want my ereader stolen while I was frolicking in the water
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If memory servers me properly most computer hardware are heat sensitive meaning that they need to be kept cool, although winter times are really no big deal for them. Exposure to the heat of the summer is not a good idea.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
whitedirewolf
E-ink Lover
whitedirewolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
If memory servers me properly most computer hardware are heat sensitive meaning that they need to be kept cool, although winter times are really no big deal for them. Exposure to the heat of the summer is not a good idea.
Well, both yes and no. As far as I know, an eReader should not be used in cold conditions, especially not below sub-zero temperatures. I've seen a fair amount of Kindle users reporting their Kindle as dead after having used them in cold conditions.

I don't know how other eReaders perform in various temperatures, but I believe that all devices with e-ink screen has this limitation, as it has something to do with the technology behind an e-ink screen. However, I'm not a hundred percent sure

Last edited by whitedirewolf; 07-26-2011 at 01:03 PM.
whitedirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here's a beach-proof case for the K3:

KlearKase for Kindle 3

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote