Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Kindle Protection Plan

Best Buy, is offering a protection plan on all Kindles for $20 a year that protects against any and all problems including natural wear and tear on the unit including free battery replacements when its needed. They offer the same plan on all other readers as well. What is your opinion, would you buy a protection plan on a kindle?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given how good Amazon's customer service is, no, I personally wouldn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I got Squaretrade for about $25 with coupon for my K3 for two years. It includes damages from dropping and such but given how good Kindle C.S. is it's really optional about getting a protection plan. Squaretrade always has coupons going. I just googled to find mine.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any more oppinions?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I always buy my stuff with my credit card, because it doubles the warranty (up to a year) for free.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard

Anyone else? Please give me a simple thumbs up or down, I see that one person got his extended waranty for $25 and another charges on his/her credit card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11949865511933397169thumbs_up_nathan_eady_01_svg_med.png
Views:	290
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	74524   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThumbsDown.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	74525  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Thumbs DOWN!!!!

I've had bad experience buying best buys protection plans. I did once years ago for a car CD player (when they weren't so cheap). It crapped out in 2.5 years. So I went to BB to get a replacement and they gave me the line of we no longer carry that brand. They would do nothing. Since then I've sworn off of them. In fact, I try to buy things from anybody but them.

I doubt you'd have the problem with Kindle being no longer sold, but at 20 bucks, you are paying almost 20% of the cost for insurance!?? Since my bad experience, I've always self insured. Take the 20 dollars, buy a nice drop proof case. In fact, go to Target, skip BB altogether. Order direct from Amazon, anything else!!!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Best Buy, is offering a protection plan on all Kindles for $20 a year that protects against any and all problems including natural wear and tear on the unit including free battery replacements when its needed. They offer the same plan on all other readers as well. What is your opinion, would you buy a protection plan on a kindle?
Waste of money. Buy a decent case, and in the very unlikely event that there is an issue, Amazon CS will make it right, IME.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
No, I wouldn't.

Extended warranties aren't worth it; the stores always make it as difficult as possible to redeem in the event you need to. Manufacturer warranties (or supplier-based-ones, like you'd get if you bought from Amazon) are much better.
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't understand why you are constantly obsessed with all things kindle when you have made it pretty clear you never plan on owning one
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Nope - if Amazon won't cover a replacement a new one is cheap enough to save for
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
whiskeyguy
whiskeyguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
I purchased a Squaretrade warranty for about $25 for two years... includes drops and other damage. I take my Kindle camping a lot, so dropping it is not that unlikely.
whiskeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #13
hp7marleyfan
hp7marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I definitely personally wouldn't... had too many bad experiences with them.
hp7marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote