Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Chapter jump tag?

I'm converting some books to Kindle format. There is a feature that I've seen in some books I'm reading that I would like to implement.

The feature is using the left/right arrows to page through chapters. I'm thinking that there is a type of <a name=""> anchor used to set this up, but I don't know the particulars.

I'd also like to know the tag for allowing users to jump to the Beginning (where content starts before the TOC) and the Cover. I can't seem to get that to work.

Thanks loads,
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
There is no chapter jump tag. What you want is the NCX, and your HTML source marked up to provide regular links to point the <navPoint>s at.

Instructions for this and also the proper tags and syntax to put in the OPF for making the TOC/Beginning accessible via the menu button and having the cover show up properly can be found in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines (PDF) which you can download from their website.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Wasn't half as simple as I had imagined. I got it working, after much reading, rereading, trying, retrying, etc. Learning how to edit the .opf file directly is a plus.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote