Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How much should I pay for eBooks?

I am happy to pay for eBooks. After all, the author has put as much effort into writing my e-copy as the dead tree copy. Same for the editors and publishers.
However, my e-copy doesn't get printed and isn't subject to the same freight and distribution. There are costs associated with setting up and maintaining the e-book distribution method, but surely by pricing e-books more competitively, sellers will quickly achieve economies of scale by selling higher quantities.

So, what is a fair and reasonable difference to pay between dead tree books and e-books? 10%? 25%?
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
To be honest, as consumers we don't get to decide what we pay for ebooks, so the real question is how much are you willing to spend? I've noticed most new books are between $10 and $15 in eBook format. This is more than a paperback book usually but less than a hardcover. So if you're willing to wait a year for the book to go into paperback, it's less expensive to get the paper version than the eBook. But it's about half the cost of a brand new hardcover, so there's that.

You would think publishers would factor in the cost of printing and distribution and remove that from the cost of the eBook, but they don't really. Same reason an album in iTunes cost $9.99 and a new CD at Best Buy costs $9.99: customers are willing to pay it.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I, too, find the pricing models maddening. Consider Ken Follet's Fall of Giants. It is $2 cheaper in hardcover from one online bookstore than the e-editions. Sites include messages that the ebook price was set by the publisher. Maddening.

My personal opinion is that ebooks should be 50% of a paperback. With no physical printing costs, no storage costs, no shipping costs, no middlemen costs, and no risk of excess copies, this seems reasonable. However, Apple apparently takes a 30% cut of every book sold on their bookstore. If other retailers have similar cuts, it isn't hard to see why ebooks are so expensive. It is these obnoxious markups by the e-tailers that ends up getting us.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I pay no more than $6 for leisure-reading ebooks; I've paid up to $30 for reference works. (I'm also in the "won't touch DRM" crowd, so that limits my purchasing interests. I don't care what bestsellers cost; I won't be buying them.)

It's not that $6 is a hard-and-fast rule; it's that I'm pretty sure I can find something I'd enjoy reading just as much for that price or less. I haven't run out of books I'm interested in at Baen, and the constant string of new Smashwords books keeps me supplied with even cheaper entertainment.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
To be honest, as consumers we don't get to decide what we pay for ebooks, so the real question is how much are you willing to spend? I've noticed most new books are between $10 and $15 in eBook format. This is more than a paperback book usually but less than a hardcover. So if you're willing to wait a year for the book to go into paperback, it's less expensive to get the paper version than the eBook. But it's about half the cost of a brand new hardcover, so there's that.

You would think publishers would factor in the cost of printing and distribution and remove that from the cost of the eBook, but they don't really. Same reason an album in iTunes cost $9.99 and a new CD at Best Buy costs $9.99: customers are willing to pay it.
Yeah, that just about sums it up: You should pay whatever you're comfortable paying. I very rarely buy e-books that are over $10. I don't currently have any authors that I have to have as soon as they come out. But if you're a huge fan of some author, and you have to have whatever e-book they put out the moment it's available, it's gonna cost you more than if you'd waited. No way around that.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As the wife of a writer, I think they should cost as much as the traffic will allow.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
I personally agree with bhartman & elfwreck- I won't pay over $10.00. I can always find interesting books for under that (quite a bit under). I also am using the library more and more.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I read somewhere that authors who sell their ebooks for 99 cents without the help of one of those big publishers actually make MORE money per book.

Didn't Radiohead release an album for FREE with the option to donate money to the band? Didn't they make a shitload of money off that?
Perhaps writers should try the same scheme.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
As the wife of a writer, I think they should cost as much as the traffic will allow.
They should be priced reasonable and not some silly price like $14.99. For a new eBook that has a hardcover version, I'm all in favor of $10 and when it's in paperback (any format paperback), then $6 for non-MMPB and $5 for MMPB will do fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i do love the 99 cent offerings that are available out there, and the discounted ones under $5. sometimes though a book is a must have and you have no problem shelling out $10-$15 (i bought 2 right away that were $9.99 each - day of receiving kobo) especially if you would have bought the hardcover regardless, that's pretty much an instant savings of $20 usually.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
How much you 'should'pay and how much you want to pay are two different questions. You 'should' pay whatever the asking price is minus whatever promo codes apply although you may clearly 'want' to pay less
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Wait until they have a promotion going, that gives you a free E-book if you purchase more than 25-30 dollars, and then get a package of books as the free one. $80 dollar package means you paid $25 for $105 dollars worth of product.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
I read somewhere that authors who sell their ebooks for 99 cents without the help of one of those big publishers actually make MORE money per book.
True, but a smaller slice of a bigger pie is better than a bigger slice of a smaller pie. Big publishers offer many services (marketing, editing, book design) that are costly to assemble by oneself. And the reality is that many writers aren't good at the business side of things. Every minute spent on technical details is a lost minute of writing.

I don't mind it that Kobo, Amazon, or Apple get a slice of the purchase price. I just think their slice is too high, and ultimately makes ebooks less economical that they should be.

My favorite eBook purchase was the ESV Study Bible for the Kindle. $10, when the cheapest print copy is $30, and it is a whole lot lighter and easier to carry in ebook form. Priced right, it was a no-brainer. But if it had been $25, I would have given serious thought to the dead tree version...
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
When I purchase from the large publishers, I assume I am getting a product that has been properly proofed and edited. I tell myself I'm paying more for quality-control, and I'm OK with that. Too often, I find that less-expensive ebooks have too many spelling and grammar errors for my liking.

So, part of the reason I'm willing to pay more is because I assume I'm getting a product that has been thoroughly tested (editing and proof-reading).
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
I can believe that. I've bought a couple of 99 cent books that I wouldn't have bought if they had been more expensive. They turned out to be crap, so those authors won't be making any more money from me, but at least they got a couple of $$. An I don't get too upset to find out that 99 cent book wasn't even worth that much. For crying out loud, it's about the price of a candy bar, and a lot less unhealthy.

I have bought one book at around $10 because it was a book I really, really wanted. In general I'd say that probably a few $$ more than I want to spend on fiction eBooks.

(I borrow loads from libraries, so I actually buy very few books)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote