Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
"Oh, wow. These books are free? Sweet! This one costs about $12 on Amazon. Oh, just need to put in my...credit...card number? Ah, no worries. *click-clack-click-clack* sweet! Free book!"
I dunno about anyone else, but my scammer-sense tingles any time I'm asked for a CC number if something's free.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #17
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalva View Post
In case anyone is still interested in [deleted], it might be useful to know that someone on the site or connected with it is using other people's names to upload eBooks to the site. At least, they did so with mine (apparently lifting it wholesale from Amazon reviews), and I don't see whom to contact to change this.
We may not know who they are, but we have one of their sockpuppets here... maybe stevenreed034 can help you with this.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-06-2012 at 03:55 AM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Whenever I see something that seems too good to be true I figure it probably is. And like someone else said if it's free then why does it need a cc#? I mean there are other sites that offer free ebooks and you don't require a cc# to purchase the free books from those sites (like Ellora's Cave for example).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
We may not know who they are, but we have one of their sockpuppets here... maybe stevenreed034 can help you with this.
Did they start spamming onread or something? Last night they were merely posting idiotic posts about kindles.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Did they start spamming onread or something? Last night they were merely posting idiotic posts about kindles.
This character appeared out of nowhere, made some unintelligible posts, gave a couple of "yays" to some pirate sites and was quickly "disappeared" by the mods (I assume). I thought about ratting him out but he became an unperson before I had to bother. The mods are wise.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
This character appeared out of nowhere, made some unintelligible posts, gave a couple of "yays" to some pirate sites and was quickly "disappeared" by the mods (I assume). I thought about ratting him out but he became an unperson before I had to bother. The mods are wise.
I must have gone to bed before he posted about the pirate sites.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #22
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I must have gone to bed before he posted about the pirate sites.
Probably...it was 12:30 or 1:00 AM Eastern time. There was no trace of him by this morning. He "was" post number 17 on this thread.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #23
Hellmark
Wizard

Yeah, I went to bed a little after 1am eastern. He'd only had 3 posts at that time, and they were inane posts about kindles.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #24
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah, I went to bed a little after 1am eastern. He'd only had 3 posts at that time, and they were inane posts about kindles.
Inane posts...they were a bit like words in a blender. Made no sense to me.

It must have been a little later when he did the pirate site "yay" posts.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
Hellmark
Wizard

The one sorta made sense, although the info was way out of date.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #26
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
He posted to this thread, saying, in broken English, that it was a good and safe site.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #27
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
He posted to this thread, saying, in broken English, that it was a good and safe site.
Yes, that was it exactly...post #17. I assume the mods nuked it and your post slid forward to become #17. Using Dr. Brown's whisper from Back to the Future, "Erased from existence..."
Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #28
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Good thing, too.

Any site that is asking for your credit card details for a "free" book that they cannot have the rights to in the form of an executable just can't be legitimate.

They failed the basic test: they had Harry Potter.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Less "wise" than having the same nose for ordure as you, but with access to the necessary buttons for disposing of its source.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #30
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
You have to ask yourself, "Why would someone put time and money into creating a website and stealing content just to give me free books?" What a saint that person must be...well, except for the stealing content part.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote