Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: How many hours can your iPad do? (multiple choices)
< 5 hours, it get's drained pretty fast 1 2.00%
5 hours to 7 hours, a bit less than expected 4 8.00%
7 hours to 9 hours, a bit below my expectations 6 12.00%
ca. 10 hours, exactly what's in the technical description 10 20.00%
> 10 hours, I'm very positively surprised 20 40.00%
It depends extremely on my usage, whether I'm watching movies, playing games or read 6 12.00%
It gets drained quickly, whatever I do 2 4.00%
In general, I'm okay with the battery duration. It's about what I'd expect on similar units. 5 10.00%
In general, I find it troublesome. I think about backup batteries or other alternatives - I have to do something. 0 0%
In general, I'm absolutely fine. Battery does long enough for commuting and "surviving" any average day. 15 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2010, 05:44 AM   #16
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Full charge last night and 2 hours use has brought me to 75% that was at full brightness with wifi on 30 mins streaming video with abc player, 30 mins downloading apps, 30 minsgaming, 30 mins on Internet .

So 8 hours, if I dropped brightness I revoke I would easily get more. Very happy

Ok so now at 50% again similar constant use

Last edited by stustaff; 05-30-2010 at 07:33 AM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
Lalaboobaby
Lalaboobaby began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Take into consideration that during the work week I'm not on my iPad all day but pretty so during weekends. Then I get through the whole day and some on one charge. I'm happy with the battery life.
Lalaboobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #18
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I checked the "5 hours drains pretty fast" based on my first day's usage - I am guessing it will improve after a recharge or two.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I checked the "5 hours drains pretty fast" based on my first day's usage - I am guessing it will improve after a recharge or two.
That's what I'm hoping for as well. I'm charging for the 3rd time right now.
I didn't really track the time. But my feeling is, I'm in the range of 5 hours as well. One reason may be the early stage of the charging cycles. Another reason obviously is my heavy usage of WiFi. So far, I don't see myself coming even close to 10 hours...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One way to help keep the battery going strong is the get the Battery Doctor Pro app. I know on screen it's formatted for the iPod Touch/iPhone, but it works well with the iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Just like DixieGal, I find that when I'm using the iPad for reading and have the WiFi turned off, I get great battery life. I can go multiple days without having to recharge the battery. As soon as I turn the WiFi on I can see the battery draining much quicker. When I'm at home I do most of my "work" on my iMac and use the iPad for reading (and perhaps solitaire and chess). When traveling the iPad helps me to stay in touch but I do have to recharge the battery more often.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
This poll would be fine, except you added opinion on the end. i would pick 7-9 hours, except its not a bit below my expectations, its about right for my expectations, since I have the 3G version and I am jailbroken

Last edited by volwrath; 05-31-2010 at 01:26 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
To let you guys know, I decided to test the battery on this weeks long car trip. I read the users guide tips for extending the charge. Then charged it up to 100%. Toggled off wifi and notifications. I read for 10 hrs and it only went down to 40%.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Definitely longer than 10 hours. I watched 5 hours of netflix and the battery was only down 30%. I go days between charges. My nook drains faster.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always switch on "Airplane Mode" in "Settings" when I'm not doing any on-line stuff. Greatly extends the battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #26
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I've yet to run out of power....have gone from 7am to 12am with plenty of use on a weekend day. Most of the time I'm in 50% brightness. Have not had to resort to turning off wifi or anything.

I'm SHOCKED that some are only getting 5 to 7 hours.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #27
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Lee
Me too. I am always connected. I turn off wifi on my ipod, but never on my ipad. Maybe there was a bad batch of batteries.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Has anyone followed Apple's Battery Guide and done a complete charge/discharge to zero?
Took me all Memorial Day weekend.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #29
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yes. but over a 2 day period. didn't track total usage. actually i pretty much always drain it down until it shuts off before i charge it up.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #30
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I was getting about that level in my worst-case scenario, which was streaming video over wifi, with full brightness and using Bluetooth headphones.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, ipad