Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Techonology is the best overall?
Reflective LCD 21 26.92%
E-Ink 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #46
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Update:

Of the 5 (total 22) more voting against the reflective LCD none even own it.
They're not voting against reflective LCD they're voting for what they know and like. Nothing confusing about that.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #47
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
They're not voting against reflective LCD they're voting for what they know and like. Nothing confusing about that.
Are they really voting for what they know? All but one do not list that they own the LCD. The devices that use it are on display in very few places, at least here in the US. So unless they've bought it then either sold it or returned it they probably have not seen one. Furthermore none of these people offered an explanation as to why they thought e-ink was better which casts more doubt on whether they have never actually seen the LCD or whether they understood what the question was. If those who voted against reflective LCD have not used one then the poll results are invalid.

Last edited by akira28; 04-11-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #48
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
That was the point -- nobody voted against anything. People voted FOR something. And yes, the big one came up, battery life. That alone is the deciding factor for most people and the reason why they never even considered the Jetbook, or similar devices. No need to see the device, everybody knows how much battery life you are getting. So it is simply a question of good enough screen and vastly superior battery life. And unless you own 2 devices, who knows which screen type is really better.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-11-2010 at 07:37 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #49
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That was the point -- nobody voted against anything. People voted FOR something. And yes, the big one came up, battery life. That alone is the deciding factor for most people and the reason why they never even considered the Jetbook, or similar devices. No need to see the device, everybody knows how much battery life you are getting. So it is simply a question of good enough screen and vastly superior battery life. And unless you own 2 devices, who knows which screen type is really better.
The question is asking what is best overall screen technology not what the best battery life is. To be able to compare two things and deliver a valid result you must have experienced both.

Incidently the Jetbook Lite with its replaceable AA batteries crushes every battery stat on any reader that can't do the same.

Last edited by akira28; 04-11-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #50
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Ok on the topic of LCD vs E-ink I ask the question of durability. Which screen is theoretically the strongest? Are the LCD ereader screens durable like laptop screens? I notice my 14" laptop has some flex without damaging the screen at all, so in theory the 5" JB should (other than direct impact puncture) be indestructible. How do the e-ink screens measure up? I have read a few posts of the 9.7" screens crack from general use because of slight flex when holding the reader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #51
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Ok on the topic of LCD vs E-ink I ask the question of durability. Which screen is theoretically the strongest? Are the LCD ereader screens durable like laptop screens? I notice my 14" laptop has some flex without damaging the screen at all, so in theory the 5" JB should (other than direct impact puncture) be indestructible. How do the e-ink screens measure up? I have read a few posts of the 9.7" screens crack from general use because of slight flex when holding the reader.
My Jetbook is not flexible under normal force.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #52
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousoxide View Post
What, if any, is the difference between reflective LCD techs like Pixel-Q and old techs that were implemented in things like GBA and the like? Other than there being a backlight of course.
It seems that the LCD display has been deliberately optimized for clarity, speed, and battery life. (I am unfamiliar with the technology used in the other devices you mentioned.) From the MR wiki:

Introduction

TMD has developed a TFT LCD that ensures high-contrast images by incorporating a high-resolution VGA display, with 16-level grayscale, and advanced optical performance. The newly developed TFT LCD adopts a new, highly efficient reflective surface and internal reflection technology to maximize such optical performance, providing clear and crisp images, and is able to display small, well-defined characters easily. In addition, the new product has completely eliminated the need for a backlight thanks to the highly reflective optical performance, and thus enables a low power system design, one of the essential requirements for electronic dictionaries and ensures longer battery-powered operation. Furthermore, the new product provides faster display image rewriting compared to other reflective type display technologies, thus enabling displays which are more easily legible even during fast scrolling of texts or during video clips in electronic dictionaries or books.

Specifications

Display size: 5.01-inch
Resolution: 640 x 480 (160 ppi)
Display mode: Monochrome reflective display / Internal reflective display
Contrast ratio: 12:1 (no backlight)
Response time: 20 ms
Levels of gray: 16
Power consumption: 4mW (2-level grayscale), 20 mW (16-level grayscale)
Compared to the usual E Ink display, this panel has a higher contrast ratio (12:1 vs. 8:1) and also relatively low power consumption (20 mW vs. 1mW (E Ink standby) and 750 mW (E Ink active update)). Screen refresh is a lot faster (20 ms vs. 0.5-1s).
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #53
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I am not voting because I don't like either very much right now. EPD is too slow, and the reflective LCD is low in resolution and more limited in viewing angle. Neither has amazing contrast, and neither are featured in a device I want.

Improve EPD to solve speed (100-200ms total refresh) and improve contrast a little, and I'll see no need for the LCD. PVI is supposedly working on that, though only demos have been shown.

Until those newest monochrome EPDs are put on 200+ppi TFTs and integrated into real products though, my personal preference sways just ever-so-slightly to the LCD for its speed.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 04-11-2010 at 10:39 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #54
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I think something wrong with your unit...
jetBook vs Kindle screen:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=98
The problem is how I like to read. If I read in very bright indirect light the Jetbook contrast is a little better than the Kindle but I find the metallic reflections distracting and fatiguing. Plus, in order to evenly illuminate the screen I either need to have the light source directly over my shoulder or angle the screen. The eInk screens are not as sensitive to lighting angles.

At my preferred light level and lighting angle, the Jetbook has poorer contrast than my Kindle.

Like I've stated before, my eyesight is poor and my eyes are quite sensitive. My personal preference is for eInk. It's not scientific but it's what works for me.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 04-11-2010 at 11:19 AM.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #55
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That was the point -- nobody voted against anything.
It's not a poll, Hans, it's a way to berate eInk users for not picking the "superior screen".
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #56
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Aaaaahh, the war has started!

This has been hashed and rehashed many times before. Why not just say, in a nutshell, the screens are very similar and the advantages are:

LCD: No flash.
e-ink: Longer battery.

Buy whichever device is in your price range and has the features you want.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #57
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
In my personal opinion these two display technologies are roughly comparable; neither is perfect and each has advantages the other lacks. E-Ink provides better battery life and wider viewing angles, reflective LCD provides a faster refresh and somewhat better contrast (though its contrast advantage can be offset by the limitations in viewing angle).

The end result is that different people will have valid reasons for preferring either.

However, there is one point that a poll like this is missing: People don't simply read ebooks from bare screens floating in mid-air, they read ebooks from screens that are built in to devices.

Currently, as a class, reflective LCD devices are most often aimed at the lower end of the market. The higher end devices rely primarily on E-Ink. This means that unless you are someone to whom the advantages of reflective LCD make a big difference, E-Ink will often be a better choice because it is more likely to come in a better device.

Either screen will work - the real question everyone needs to ask is which device best fits their individual needs at a price point they are willing or able to pay. The answer to this question is not going to be the same for everyone.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #58
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
It's not a poll, Hans, it's a way to berate eInk users for not picking the "superior screen".
DawnFalcon,

No has been berated anyone here. Questions were raised as to why the polls were getting swamped from people who appeared to be unfamiliar with reflective LCD. The people who voted for one or the other without experience of both technologies, as the pollster requested, are not the victims. The victims are the people who want an informed discussion but who will miss out from this being turning into a popularity contest.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #59
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Thank you for illustrating why my point was 100% accurate. You know fullwell that reflective LCD devices are few and not massive sellers compared to eInk ones.

Anyway, as I indicated earlier, for me the defining issue is device software. And that comes down to the best ePub renderer.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #60
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The poll itself was poorly worded. It should have been worded as "Which SCREEN technology is the best overall?". That would have eliminated the digressions about battery usage and software features.

There also should have been other answer options, such as "No answer - I've only used an e-ink screen" and "No answer - I've only used an LCD screen", and "Both are about the same" and "I don't know".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote