Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Trial by Franz Kafka 15 20.27%
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky 8 10.81%
Persuasion by Jane Austen 4 5.41%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 8 10.81%
The Picture (or Portrait) of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 12 16.22%
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne 11 14.86%
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edward Abbott 6 8.11%
Orlando by Virginia Woolf 6 8.11%
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo 4 5.41%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ah well, so be it. An interesting book, certainly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #47
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ah well, so be it. An interesting book, certainly.
This is why I love the Book Club. This is likely something I would never have read on my own. I hope I like it!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Not my first choice, but hey, what the hell.
Actually, I was going to nominate Dante's Inferno, seeing you want to read about hell. But, I decided not to.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, I was going to nominate Dante's Inferno, seeing you want to read about hell. But, I decided not to.

BOb
Too late. Nominations are closed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #50
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb

That's on my Reader, and I started to read it. That lasted about five minutes.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Too late. Nominations are closed.
Grumble, grumble...
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #52
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, kafka is one of my favourite authors, and i haven't read the trial in years. perhaps i'll join you this month.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 PM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Has anyone seen Breon Mitchell's translation of The Trial in ebook form?
http://www.amazon.com/Trial-Franz-Ka...7043756&sr=1-2

I know the David Wyllie translation has the advantage of being PD, but I've been told that the Mitchell translation is many times better and that some things don't come through in the Wyllie translation.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #54
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'll be reading 'The Trial' this month... Looking forward to it..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #55
melbournian
Colonial chapette
melbournian began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Excellent! I've never read Kafka and my boyfriend has and said he enjoyed....hmm can't remember what it was that he read now...but I'm looking forward to it anyway! My eReader was shipped from the US on Friday so I should have it this week, and The Trial will be the first book that I read on it
melbournian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #56
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournian View Post
Excellent! I've never read Kafka and my boyfriend has and said he enjoyed....hmm can't remember what it was that he read now...but I'm looking forward to it anyway! My eReader was shipped from the US on Friday so I should have it this week, and The Trial will be the first book that I read on it

Congrats! What did you buy/order? Kindle I'm guessing?

Kafka has a few well know stories -- The Metamorphosis in particular. In the Penal Colony is the one that always sticks in my mind (in fact I can't get rid of it and wish I could)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Has anyone seen Breon Mitchell's translation of The Trial in ebook form?
http://www.amazon.com/Trial-Franz-Ka...7043756&sr=1-2

I know the David Wyllie translation has the advantage of being PD, but I've been told that the Mitchell translation is many times better and that some things don't come through in the Wyllie translation.
The David Wyllie translation is most certainly not in the public domain; it is a copyrighted work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #58
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The David Wyllie translation is most certainly not in the public domain; it is a copyrighted work.
What's this then:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7849

Edit: Oops, you're right. My bad. Sorry.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #59
melbournian
Colonial chapette
melbournian began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Congrats! What did you buy/order? Kindle I'm guessing?

Kafka has a few well know stories -- The Metamorphosis in particular. In the Penal Colony is the one that always sticks in my mind (in fact I can't get rid of it and wish I could)
no, funnily enough I've ordered an astak ez reader pocket pro (I can't remember which of those letters was meant to be capitalized, so I've decided not to capitalize at all). I wouldn't mind a Kindle but it was beyond my budget.
melbournian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournian View Post
no, funnily enough I've ordered an astak ez reader pocket pro (I can't remember which of those letters was meant to be capitalized, so I've decided not to capitalize at all). I wouldn't mind a Kindle but it was beyond my budget.
Ah, thanks. The Pocket Pro is a fine ebook reader.