Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
jetreader
Banned
jetreader doesn't litterjetreader doesn't litter

Device: jetbook
perfect screen size

I appreciate Mac design very much, probably it's the best on the planet Earth, but - why do you need 10" screen bookreader for 800 bucks?!
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...-computer.html
If you say that 10" is the best size to download newspapers and\or magazines, why not to go for 12" computer? Even better! I understand - tastes differ. But for me 5" jetBook screen is the perfect for the real pocket size device. Not too big, not too small. How can you beat it?
What do you think?
jetreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The "perfect" screen size depends on what content you are reading. The perfect size for a reader that is being used for paperback type material is different from the perfect size for a reader that is being used for newspapers/textbooks, etc.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetreader View Post
I appreciate Mac design very much, probably it's the best on the planet Earth, but - why do you need 10" screen bookreader for 800 bucks?!
If you say that 10" is the best size to download newspapers and\or magazines, why not to go for 12" computer? Even better! I understand - tastes differ. But for me 5" jetBook screen is the perfect for the real pocket size device. Not too big, not too small. How can you beat it?
What do you think?
i agree that everyone has their personal preferences alongside purchasing products. but if your going for something portable (which an eBook reader should be) then the more 'pocketable' it is, the better, so you can take it with you everywhere.

10" is just way too big of a size for a reader and you definitely wont be able to fit that anywhere if your on the go.

5" is half that size but honestly its not until you've actually played around with it that you get the feeling of how useful the device is in reading books.

it sounds small but it really isn't. the display is, for lack of any better words, 'perfect.'

and with the different font sizes it's easy to manipulate the text to however small or large you want it.

that was my point of sale for the jetBook, its ability to stay portable and give me an awesome reading experience when im on the subway or flying from coast to coast.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
jetreader
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The "perfect" screen size depends on what content you are reading. The perfect size for a reader that is being used for paperback type material is different from the perfect size for a reader that is being used for newspapers/textbooks, etc.
Well, today's nespapers and magazines formatting their content to make it easy for you to download it into anything. If you need to see newspaper design as a whole thing, and you like to see 6 or 8 columns in front of you instead of one, then 10" will help. But it's kind of outdated, no?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
800$ is way too much for this device :|
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Well, today's nespapers and magazines formatting their content to make it easy for you to download it into anything. If you need to see newspaper design as a whole thing, and you like to see 6 or 8 columns in front of you instead of one, then 10" will help. But it's kind of outdated, no?
That's true. It has more to do with the formatting of the content than anything else.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
jetreader
Banned

look at what competition did to iPod-like mp3 players - how many of them do we have now - hundreds? And for how much? Price rules. Who can beat $200 jetBook? I don't really know how much you're ready to pay for the stylish gadget. And I can't agree more - $800 is way too much. Of course Chateau Petrus for $1500 is a fabulous wine but most of us drink nice californians for $25 a bottle and pretty happy with it. Warning: don't even try caifirnian wines for under $15.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Right now, Plastic Logic hasn't announced a price. I doubt it will cost $800 though.

That size reader is useful for technical documents, manuals and textbooks. As with any dedicated e-book reader, the advantages include light weight, low power, long battery life, crisp text and a screen more suitable for long reading sessions.

Or to put it another way, $500 - $800 may get you a nice netbook, but it won't get you an 18 ounce, 1/3" thick netbook with a battery life measured in days and an e-Ink or comparable screen.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have a Kindle 1 and a Kindle DX. I really like the bigger screen, so the Kindle DX has become my primary reader. The smaller sized screens don't handle a lot of types of texts very well (e.g. poetry, textbook material, etc.). However, I still prefer the larger DX screen for even novel type books because of fewer page turns.

So then, why not a 12" screen. I have a feeling I'd probably find it too big, but of course I'd have to see one to make that judgement definitively. Personally, I want the smallest sized screen that will comfortably display an 8 /12 x 11 sized page and the Kindle DX hits that sweet spot for me. (This is not to imply that I believe the Kindle DX is perfect - far from it.)

With all of that said, I still prefer the Kindle 1 for travelling and would probably prefer the thinner Kindle 2 for travelling if I had one. When travelling and reading novels, I'd want the smaller screen.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
What do you think?
Speaking as someone who has a 10" screen, I have to say that anything smaller is too cramped for full size PDFs. And I also deeply enjoy MobiPocket Reader's 2 column mode. It's much like having a hardback open in front of me, only without the need to turn the pages or prop it up. I have a gallery of screenshots over here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The exepcted price of the Apple tablet is ridiculous, though.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
... I really like the bigger screen, so the Kindle DX has become my primary reader. The smaller sized screens don't handle a lot of types of texts very well (e.g. poetry, textbook material, etc.). However, I still prefer the larger DX screen for even novel type books because of fewer page turns....
+1

Larger screen are more immersive, for me. A 12" would be close to the size of a real hardcover page, and if it handles PDFs well, it would be my perfect size. Yep, for novels too.

I actually am looking forward to getting rid of my 6" device, as soon as I see what larger screens appear within the next couple of months.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I think the most ideal reader would have a 10-12" screen that folds up. Thus you get the best of both worlds (eg. size and portability). Unfortunately with PL PV declaring bankruptcy, this device seems further off than ever.

In the near term I would like to replace my broken Sony reader with one of the 8-10" devices... when I can afford to. For what I need it for the size is more of a priority than sheer portability. And a tablet is at least more portable than a laptop or netbook.

Last edited by Dylrob; 07-27-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I think the most ideal reader would have a 10-12" screen that folds up. Thus you get the best of both worlds (eg. size and portability). Unfortunately with PL declaring bankruptcy, this device seems further off than ever.

In the near term I would like to replace my broken Sony reader with one of the 8-10" devices... when I can afford to. For what I need it for the size is more of a priority than sheer portability. And a tablet is at least more portable than a laptop or netbook.
That is what I am dreaming of! A 12" that you can fold into a 3" and put into your pocket. There are folding prototypes, but my guess is it will take years. So for the moment 2 readers would be ideal, the 6" for novels, and a 10-12" for newspapers, PDF files, etc. Well, when that Plastic Logic reader comes out I will break down and get one, score one for the inner geek! For browsing the web a 3.5-5" screen actually works quite well (which is what most phones have now), so I would never consider a tablet unless it had a screen that was really easy on the eyes to make it suitable for reading, too.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-27-2009 at 09:40 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
So, I don't think the Mac tablet is necessarily a book reader. First, it is a multi-function device. I think that the meaning of Jobs famous statement about their being no market for book readers is that the market for dedicated ebook readers (in his opinion) is too small.

Look at the success of the Apple app store, and the books on the Iphone/Itouch. I think they see this as a multi-use device. One of the uses is as a book reader, but this isn't necessarily the use that drives the 10 inch screen.

The biggest book related app for this would be for reading and annotating pdf's and doc's. Teachers could grade papers and send them back to students where they could view them on their screens. Researchers could read and mark up pdf's. I personally don't count this as a book reading app. For pure book reading 5" is great for me.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perfect screen size