Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
anix
anix began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Manual copy through USB card reader

Since I am running 64-bit OSes (I dual-boot Linux and windows Vista), I can't use my PRS-500 unless someone comes out with a working driver (and that doesn't look like it will happen soon). My desperate idea for a workaround is to get a USB card reader and just copy the relevant files to the SD card. My questions:
1. Will Calibre detect the card through the USB reader in the normal way, that is, will it show up in the main interface, or will I have to manually drag & drop files as if it were a hard drive?
2. Is there a way to transfer metadata such as tags and collections without having to connect the PRS-500 itself?
Thanks
anix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. You can use the save to disk function
2. No
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Has anyone tried VMware (say) running 32-bit Linux, e.g. from Chrysaor.info? Essentially, this would be a Calibre "virtual appliance" on top on one of your 64-bit OSes. I don't know if the USB support is good enough in VMware to make this work, but it might be worth trying.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anix View Post
My desperate idea for a workaround is to get a USB card reader and just copy the relevant files to the SD card. My questions:
2. Is there a way to transfer metadata such as tags and collections without having to connect the PRS-500 itself?
2. No
Is this also the case with the PRS-505? It looks like all that calibre does is copy the files and create an xml file, or am I missing something? Does it actually need to talk to the reader itself?
It would be handy (and probably faster ... I haven't got round to benchmarking it yet) to be able to write to an SD/MS card directly, and have the tags & metadata.

Iain
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Alf
Alf began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick
Your best bet is virtualizing, and you are probably having more problems with other programs, not only Calibre, so it would really pay off.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 500 doesn't support colelctions for books on the SD card. THe 505 will work just fine with calibre in a 64 bit OS
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by anix
Since I am running 64-bit OSes (I dual-boot Linux and windows Vista), I can't use my PRS-500 unless someone comes out with a working driver (and that doesn't look like it will happen soon).
Drivers in Calibre aren't the typical driver you're thinking of, like a driver for a graphics card. A driver in Calibre does not interface with the OS's kernel. All device drivers Calibre uses will work on any supported OS 32 or 64 bit. They are really just a way to tell Calibre how to write the files to the device. The Cybook and Kindle Drivers for instance were developed on a 64 bit Linux install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_benson
It looks like all that calibre does is copy the files and create an xml file, or am I missing something?
Essentially that's what it does in the case of the PRS devices.

Quote:
Does it actually need to talk to the reader itself?
Nope. However, it does need to know how to put the files on the card. Calibre currently supports the PRS line, the Cybook Gen 3 and the Kindle. Only the 505 and the 700 share the same book and meta data file layout. The 500 is similar. The Cybook and Kindle are different. Calibre at least needs to know what kind of device it is dealing with so it can properly add the books for the device so the device will be able to read them.

Quote:
It would be handy (and probably faster ... I haven't got round to benchmarking it yet) to be able to write to an SD/MS card directly, and have the tags & metadata.
This would be a nice feature. It hasn't been implemented because Calibre would have to know what kind of device the card is intended for so it can write to it in the proper manner. This is not a simple task. It is however something I've been thinking about implementing at some point in the future.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Drivers in Calibre aren't the typical driver you're thinking of, like a driver for a graphics card. A driver in Calibre does not interface with the OS's kernel. All device drivers Calibre uses will work on any supported OS 32 or 64 bit. They are really just a way to tell Calibre how to write the files to the device. The Cybook and Kindle Drivers for instance were developed on a 64 bit Linux install.
That's true of all the drivers except the PRS 500 driver. The PRS 500 isn't a mass storage device, so calibre does need to interface with the USB subsystem to communicate with the device.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You could use WinUSB on x64.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah but since I dont have an x64 machine and since the PRS500 is the only device silly enough to not use the Mass storage drivers...