Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Notification not working

Though I have subscribed to a number of threads recently I am not getting notifications for them when new posts are made.

I've checked my profile and the email address is correct and the thrreads are in my subscription list.

I've also checked my ISPs spam folder and the one on my P.C.

Notifications used to work and as far as I can see everything is in place but no emails. The last notification I received was on 19 July 2016.

Anyone else having problems or is it just me.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Though I have subscribed to a number of threads recently I am not getting notifications for them when new posts are made.

I've checked my profile and the email address is correct and the thrreads are in my subscription list.

I've also checked my ISPs spam folder and the one on my P.C.

Notifications used to work and as far as I can see everything is in place but no emails. The last notification I received was on 19 July 2016.

Anyone else having problems or is it just me.

BobC
I received a bunch of email notifications this morning, so they are definitely working correctly. I'm sorry I can't help more than that, but at least you know that notification emails ARE going out for other people. On another note, maybe this should be moved to the feedback forum?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moved to feedback forum

I don't know of any problems with the notifications system.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It could be your ISP has blocked MobileRead's domain. I get tons of notifications...way too many. I use outlook.com You can try switching to gmail or outlook and see if you still have issues.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:29 AM   #5
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It could be your ISP has blocked MobileRead's domain. I get tons of notifications...way too many. I use outlook.com You can try switching to gmail or outlook and see if you still have issues.
I have already changed the email address MR sends notifications to to one under my own control and was just waiting for a thread update that would trigger one. Yours got through so I must assume that there is some chicanery going on at my original ISP.

Perhaps the problem started with the "Network Maintenance" on 20 July. If that altered the IP address the MR Mail server used then that could be the reason. Neither the IP address nor the Domain used by the mail server are listed in the Spamhaus database so why my ISP should be dumping mail from them is a mystery.

Thanks for the reply which has helped me narrow down what is going on.

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 07-30-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #6
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
<snip> On another note, maybe this should be moved to the feedback forum?

Shari
I must admit I didn't think I'd posted it in the right forum but I'd missed the "Miscellaneous" group until after I had posted, then it was too late.

Thanks for getting it shifted to a more sensible place.

BobC
Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 AM   #7
BobC
Guru

A development

It looks like the problem was caused by something in the way MR sends/sent mail.

Today I received two notifications sent to my old email address. One was a notification triggered by shalym's post on 29/7/2016. It was sent to the email address which was current at that time but not the one current today.

Examining the SMTP headers for the email and comparing them with later notifications it appears that the "delayed" ones came via a8-192.smtp-out.amazonses.com (54.240.8.192) whereas the ones sent to my "new" email address come via postfach.slogh.com ([138.201.180.57]:56154). The only timestamps in the "delayed" header are for 1 August 2016.

So it seems MR initiated the emails on 28 and 29 July (based on the content of the emails and a reference to the actual threads) but these replies then "got stuck" in the email transport system at amazonses.com finally making it out today.

This looks like a similar problem to that reported in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269877 back in January.

BobC
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hi,

We recently switched servers for outgoing emails. Because the new server's IP address has no history of sending bulk emails (= "neutral"), some ISPs (like Yahoo and BT) initially deferred our mails. As a temporary workaround (until the new IP is widely accepted) we use Amazon SES to deliver mails to said ISPs.

Cheers,
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
BobC
Guru

Alex,

Thanks for the explanation - is there any indication of how long before you can switch back to using the slogh.com mailservers for BT/Yahoo destinations as when you do I'll revert to using my main email address for the notifications.

BobC
Old 08-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bob, you should be able to revert now. Until we know for certain that mails sent from our mail server isn't deferred by BT/Yahoo, we will use Amazon SES for these ISPs which should send mails without delay.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:38 AM   #11
BobC
Guru

Alex,

I've reverted my subscribed address but don't have a lot of faith in that all is fixed.

When I changed the address (at around 09:15 BST) I was told that I would get a confirmation email. It hadn't arrived by 09:30 so I requested another which arrived almost immediately.

AmazoneSES is either introducing a delay of about 15 minutes (assuming the confirmation was the response to the original change) or is losing some emails.

I'll have to see what happens now.

Bob
Old 08-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Hi Bob,

That's strange. According to the log flies, notifications to your email were sent without delay through Amazon SES. Could you check in your spam folder if anything landed in there?

Alex
Old 08-04-2016, 04:04 AM   #13
BobC
Guru

Alex,

I have double checked my spam bins (one on my client and one on the ISP) and nothing there.

I quite understand that MR may be handing off the notifications correctly to Amazon SES and bearing in mind that I did get a couple of notifications at one point sent to an address that hadn't been current with MR for about three days its clear that at least in those cases it was Amazon SES that was introducing a delay, I think therefor that the issue is with Amazon.

Notifications do seem to be arriving now (I actually got two for your reply to this thread - I think this happens when a post gets edited, though I don't think yours had been).

Whether its worth while you spending any more time on this only you can judge - my concern was based initially on the non-receipt of the first confirmation message and was all the evidence I had of a problem at that time. The bit you control is functioning o.k. and perhaps we have too high an expectation of assured delivery of Internet Email bearing in mind the way the whole thing hangs together :-)

Bob
----------------
Later info :

I am subscribed to the thread 'Endnotes by chapter or at end of book?' in the Ebook Format/Epub forum. Looking at the index (i.e. without opening the thread itself) I see that Doitsu posted an update at 07:28 this morning. I haven't had a notification through for that yet, so the "delayed/lost" issue seems more prevalent than I previously thought.

Last edited by BobC; 08-04-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: later information