Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Not necessarily. Cyberpunk is based on a particular set of dystopic SF settings combined with highly-advanced technology--a fairly fantastic scenario, when you think about it--and as much of it is based on so-far-unproven medical concepts (brain-computer interfaces and implants, cloning, genetic manipulation, cybernetic body parts, etc), it is really no more "hard" than any other form of SF.
I've never been entirely surely of the value of "taxonomy" of this form because for me personally, it tells me next to nothing about whether I'll actually enjoy the book.

For example, I like C.J. Cherryh's SF books very much indeed, and I don't think there would be any argument that books like "Downbelow Station" are "Hard SF". On the other hand, "Cyberpunk" as written by authors like William Gibson does nothing for me at all - I just don't enjoy him as an author, full stop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #62
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think part of the problem with any such categorization, is that we often tend to want it to be exclusive... this book is Hard Science Fiction period. In many cases, the book can fit in many categories. Its been a while since I read Downbelow Station, but to me it can fit into a few different categories. It could be, by some measures hard scifi, by other measures, it could be a war story, by others... well you get my point.

To a certain extent, it is often easier to point to books that are clearly not hard science fiction than it is to books that clearly are!

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #63
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
But I don't consider a book to be cyberpunk unless it has plausibility! As opposed to, say, steampunk. Gibson was mindblowing because he gave us a taste of the leading edge of reality. Was Stephenson's Snow Crash too unbelievable to be both cyberpunk and hard SF? It certainly had whimsy. Steve, how do you define "hard SF?"
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #64
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Linked from Gary Gibson's blog (whose Stealing Light has also been mentioned above):
Star Dragon by Mike Brotherton (a real astrophysist, can't get much harder than that, eh?)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #65
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
But I don't consider a book to be cyberpunk unless it has plausibility! As opposed to, say, steampunk. Gibson was mindblowing because he gave us a taste of the leading edge of reality. Was Stephenson's Snow Crash too unbelievable to be both cyberpunk and hard SF? It certainly had whimsy. Steve, how do you define "hard SF?"
Ummm.. cyberpunk novels often have the veneer of plausibility, but I find that is often only skin deep. The works of Gibson are classic examples of this.. particularly when you start learning more about computers.

Snow Crash is a great book, though I think it is more properly called post-cyberpunk since it actually sends up several cyberpunk tropes.

I wouldn't consider Snow Crash to be hard scifi though.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Steve, how do you define "hard SF?"
My definition is here.

Like so many other branches of SF, cyberpunk can be hard or soft. I tend to consider most of the "immersive VR" elements common to cyberpunk as soft, since the ability to "jack into" the human brain is still largely unproven and not understood (I think many people assume the human brain's inner workings are just a lucky code-breaking away from complete understanding, but I've always disagreed with that assessment).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #67
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
My definition is here.

Like so many other branches of SF, cyberpunk can be hard or soft. I tend to consider most of the "immersive VR" elements common to cyberpunk as soft, since the ability to "jack into" the human brain is still largely unproven and not understood (I think many people assume the human brain's inner workings are just a lucky code-breaking away from complete understanding, but I've always disagreed with that assessment).
Neural networks are waaaaaay more complex than binary code. However, there are some startlin advances being made in interactive technology, mostly on the motor command front, so there may be a future of "wired" humans. Just not like they are in cyberpunk. Of course, this thread may be one that people laugh at in ten years as we are all jacked into the Lounge and are neglecting our body funtions "just one more minute" to hang with one antoher.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #68
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
A quick recommendation

A quick recommendation - I haven't really been following this thread, but I'm in the middle of reading The Hard SF Renaissance anthology I recently purchased from Fictionwise, and it's an excellent primer to a very wide variety of sf over the past couple of decades that's also very much not in the Baen style of things.

I'd been balking from buying it at Fictionwise because it was just really expensive, but with the current 40% micropay offer it suddenly looked very worthwhile, and I picked another couple of books up along with it.

I'd go for that if anything while the sale is on. Plus, it's huge - on my Sony Reader with fairly narrow page margins, it comes to nearly three and a half thousand pages of text.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never been entirely surely of the value of "taxonomy" of this form because for me personally, it tells me next to nothing about whether I'll actually enjoy the book.

For example, I like C.J. Cherryh's SF books very much indeed, and I don't think there would be any argument that books like "Downbelow Station" are "Hard SF". On the other hand, "Cyberpunk" as written by authors like William Gibson does nothing for me at all - I just don't enjoy him as an author, full stop.
I would not call Downbellow station hard sf. For me it is more space opera. I find hard sf a useful concept since you know what kind of book to expect when it is hard sf. See wikipedia which says for example:
Quote:
Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific or technical detail, or on scientific accuracy, or on both.

The heart of the "hard SF" designation is the relationship of the science content and attitude to the rest of the narrative, and (for some readers, at least) the "hardness" or rigor of the science itself.[7] One requirement for hard SF is procedural or intentional: a story should be trying to be accurate and rigorous in its use of the scientific knowledge of its time, and later discoveries do not necessarily invalidate the label.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #70
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
My definition is here.

These stories my interest you:

2001, Scientists place eel brain into small robot, brain is able to use light sensors and wheels to move around

2002, camera with implant for the blind

2008, thought controled games?

Once you can control the senses (input and output), you can "jack in".
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Once you can control the senses (input and output), you can "jack in".
I'm more or less familiar with these examples, and a few besides. However, they are a looooong way from the immersive reality common to cyberpunk, such as clear images, sounds and other senses projected directly into the brain, or complex communications between brains and computers. These realities are to cyberpunk what morse code is to a motion picture, or what a walking man is to an F-15 fighter. They are a lot a lot a LOT further out than most people understand.

Which is not to say they are impossible... just that they're a much longer long-shot than most people expect.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 AM   #72
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
At present I am reading Time's Eye by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter and really enjoying it. Its the type of SF I like. I hate the bug-eyed alien space battle type of SF but enjoy the more scientific realistic type SF.
Does Time's Eye classify as hard SF.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #73
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Does Time's Eye classify as hard SF.
If it's from Clarke and Baxter (or, for that matter, anything by Clarke, with the exception of many of his short stories), I'd say it qualifies as Hard SF without even having to read it. Clarke is one of the most thorough and consistent hard SF writers that has ever been published, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm personally not fond of the Clarke-Baxter collaborations, myself, but they are based on Clarke's concepts and meticulous research.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #74
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hmm, the obelisk(s) in some of Clarke's most famous novels conflict with your definition of hard SF and nearly push those novels into fantasy. But I'm okay with FTL drives and such in my "hard" label, more along the lines of that Wiki link, rigor of the science as presented.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #75
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm, the obelisk(s) in some of Clarke's most famous novels conflict with your definition of hard SF and nearly push those novels into fantasy.
It can seem like that on the surface. However, his thinking on elements like these reflects his famous theorem, "Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic." This does not mean it is magic... just that the observer cannot, in his experience, tell the difference.

The fact that these are alien technologies, which do things we cannot understand, is as understandable as the idea that a car dropped into the Jurassic age would confound a Gallimimus. (Feel free to debate the Hard-SF likelihood of advanced aliens, however.) The concept of technology too advanced for us to understand is not the same as fantasy, or utilizing "magic," and can still be Hard-SF.