Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #1201
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Calendar

My cat doesn’t care
it’s the last day
of the year

She just wants
her food
wants outside

Time is subjective
Mayans irrelevant
Sunshine and a nap

Kenny A. Chaffin – 12/31/12
I like your style.
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #1202
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echase View Post
I like your style.
Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #1203
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
Lost

Oh how I miss the good old days
When people were nice and tender-hearted
When I had trees to climbs and birds to raise
And green fields where I would rest on with my buddies, feeling contented

But now I feel lost and deeply wretched
Craving for love and companionship and warmth
For out there people themselves are struggling in their tiring orbit
Or perhaps with this disgrace I must come to terms

I would turn to angels then
‘Cause by hearsay they’re pure and benevolent
Yet where they are and how to find them are beyond my ken
I’m crushed, impoverished, and disheartened…

(English is not my mother tongue and I don't know the rules of English verse.)
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #1204
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like it!
I think you've captured the emotion!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #1205
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
Thank you, Kenny!
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #1206
RonPrice
Mr RonPrice
RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I have 2 ebooks on the internet
Just Dropping In

I'll post a piece I wrote yesterday before I leave this iste.-Ron
---------------------------
ABBA, ME, and WILLIAM JAMES

Part 1:

ABBA: Bang a Boomerang1 tells the inside story of Australia's colossal 70s crush on the Swedish supergroup ABBA and their music. It’s the story of how this unequalled and enduring fan-worship changed them, Australia, and Australians, forever. My wife and two step-daughters loved ABBA. From 1972 to 1982, when they were a phenomenon in Australia, I was busy: (i) with my teaching career working 60+ hours a week, (ii) with my work as a Baha’i in Whyalla, Gawler, Launceston, Melbourne, Ballarat, Smithton, Zeehan, and Katherine, (iii) going through a divorce, remarrying, and raising a family of 3 children, as well as (iv) dealing with episodes of bipolar 1 disorder.

ABC's innovative music program Countdown and its host Molly Meldrum were instrumental in bringing ABBA to a burgeoning mid-70s television audience. It was due to Countdown that Mamma Mia was released as a single, first in Australia and then the world. With this, the ABBA phenomenon was born.

Part 2:

This TV doco, ABBA: Bang a Boomerang, digs deep into the heartfelt memories of Australians with its cardboard cartons of memorabilia, its face-to-face encounters, its local pop-icon recounts, its lavish personal and public ABBA museums and Australia's rich media archives. It relives a moment of collective national 'craziness' when Australia literally went ABBA mad. The result of that experience is a warm, bright, captivating engagement with ABBA's time Downunder. The open-hearted embrace of all things ABBA would eventually, in part at least, define Australia.

One in three Australian households owned an ABBA record, from the then Prime Minister, Malcolm Fraser, to eight year olds around the nation. One of those 8 year-olds, Angela, lived in my home in 1978. That 8-year old girl now has a successful public relations career and is 42 years old. In 1979 my first and only son was born with ABBA somewhere out on the periphery. Australians, like Angela, were hooked even if some didn't want to admit it back then. It would appear, at least this is the view presented in this video, that the crush was for keeps.-Ron Price with thanks to ABC1 TV, 30/1/’13, 8:30-9:30 p.m.

When you are up to your eye-balls
in life’s trilogy of responsibilities:
job, community, and family, those
things in the electronic-media are at
best peripheral to the mainstream of
your life. After 80 to 90 hours in an
immersion in those life-demands all
you can do is try to get the sleep you
need to do it all again tomorrow, and
tomorrow. ABBA were, for me, like
a shooting star in some galaxy which
repeated itself off-and-on for 10 years
in my life while I was as busy as that
proverbial beaver just surviving and
making as much out of my life as I
possibly could with William James’s
booming-buzzing confusion of it all.1

1 William James(1842-1901), an American philosopher and psychologist who had trained as a physician, was the first educator to offer a psychology course in the United States. In his Principles of Psychology (1890) he refers to this booming and buzzing confusion in the following passage:

[Promotional link deleted & edited for length - MODERAT0R]

Ron Price
1 February 2013

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2015 at 09:36 AM.
RonPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #1207
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Salt Shaker

The eggs lay dreaming
Stretched out on the pan
The heat of romance
The kiss of butter sweet
Lies
I held it before my eyes
The glass
The soul shaped salt shaker
It looked just like me
Empty
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #1208
kennyc

Whispers

The smoke lies heavy in the air
as though all my neighbors
are stoking their fireplaces
yet it’s the middle of Summer.

It burns my eyes, irritates my throat as I walk
yet for me it is merely an inconvenience.
The trees along the canal are whispering,
‘My brothers are dying.’

Kenny A. Chaffin – 6/14/13

Last edited by kennyc; 06-14-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #1209
kennyc

Reaching for Orion

Orion has always been my guiding light
I yearn to reach, to touch to follow

Yet when I do the stars shift and change
as I leave the Earth, Polaris
is no longer the North Star

and the closer I get to Orion
the further away I become

Kenny A. Chaffin – 6/19/13
Old 06-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #1210
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I like that, Kenny. And for some reason I can't explain, for years I've felt strangely drawn to Orion. Perhaps that's because the three bright stars of Orion's belt make it one of the few constellations that are still plainly visible in Tidewater's increasingly light-polluted sky.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #1211
kennyc

Thanks Tom!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #1212
kennyc

An Even Trade

Death it seems is an even trade
for the privilege to be born
into this life, this incredible life
in this wondrous universe

To have the honor of looking up
at the billions of night sky stars
as though they were twinkling just for me
and perhaps, perhaps they are

They say we are made of star stuff
and to star stuff one day I’ll return
to be flung again by supernova
into vast and empty space

Given time I’ll once more become
alive and gazing out
staring up at billions of stars
knees weak and struck with awe

Kenny A. Chaffin – 8/9/13
Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #1213
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I do like that. Eternal recurrence in a limitless universe is not so far fetched.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #1214
kennyc

Thanks Tom. Kind of atheist reincarnation.

Here's one more:

Nixon on Walden Pond

Forever and inextricably linked
by Gregorian fate

Henry David resigned to Walden Pond
in order to get away

Richard Nixon also resigned
in hopes of getting away

Henry communed with nature,
Nixon commuted by Ford

On the Ninth of August
both were released

Kenny A. Chaffin – 8/9/13

Hopefully I haven't drifted too far into religion or politics.

Last edited by kennyc; 08-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #1215
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Thanks Tom. Kind of atheist reincarnation.
Another way reincarnation is making a comeback.

Quote:
Here's one more:...
I like "An Even Trade" better. Less thinking required.

Tags
poetry, squirrelku