Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Question Running calibre on 2nd computer - does it cause conflicts?

I have calibre and all my ebooks on my desktop computer

Just installed it on my laptop too, just to play about with it without messing up my main pc's calibre

It found my calibre library automatically
But only 35 books and I have 2000!

Clicked on Restore Library but no change
Have I messed up?

Is there anyway that will cause problems on my main calibre library on my desktop pc?
May seem a stupid question but wondered if they link in any way

Last edited by book64; 05-05-2013 at 07:02 AM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
I have calibre and all my ebooks on my desktop computer

Just installed it on my laptop too, just to play about with it without messing up my main pc's calibre

It found my calibre library automatically
But only 35 books and I have 2000!

Clicked on Restore Library but no change
Tried to tell calibre to move books to a diierent folder
But now I have none!
Have I messed up?

Is there anyway that will cause problems on my main calibre library on my desktop pc?
May seem a stupid question but wondered if they link in any way
Have I messed up?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
Main question is, are your two calibre installations (PC & laptop) pointing at the same library? I.e. does your laptop calibre look at the library you originally created on your PC?

It is certainly possible to do this, but you must be careful to never have both calibre's running at the same time. If you can avoid that, there is no problem to having calibre installed in both places. That's actually my set up.

Also, some more details about what you have done, especially on the laptop, would be helpful for people here to help you out.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
book64
Love reading

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by loximuthal View Post
Main question is, are your two calibre installations (PC & laptop) pointing at the same library? I.e. does your laptop calibre look at the library you originally created on your PC?

It is certainly possible to do this, but you must be careful to never have both calibre's running at the same time. If you can avoid that, there is no problem to having calibre installed in both places. That's actually my set up.

Also, some more details about what you have done, especially on the laptop, would be helpful for people here to help you out.
Are both calibres linked in some way then to cause problems?

OK what I did I followed calibre website instructions... Copied my desktop PCs calibre folder to documents on the laptop. I then installed calibre.
Opened it thinking it would ask where the calibre books folder was
Instead it opened with 35 books in it. I have 2,000.
Clicked on restore library. No change.
Opened calibre again. I now have no books in it at all. Pointed it to the calibre books folder
But it just said that is already the calibre folder
So stuck now

Also it does not show my plug ins and colums
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Also it does not show my plug ins and colums
some of those settings are in a different APPDATA folder which you also have to copy go to - preferences - miscellaneous - open configuration directory. plug ins will copy OK if all file paths are identical, otherwise you have to re-install them, I believe.

as to main issue. Have you actually confirmed that there are ~2000 books on your laptop - e.g. by examining laptop folder properties, and that you copied EVERYTHING including the all important metadata.db ( which may be a hidden file).

IF it were me I'd just start over & keep a careful record of the entire process, buy if you can already see all the books on the laptop form windows explorer then try moving them to some temp location & using calbre ADD BOOKS function to rebuild the laptop library
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
book64
Love reading

Did open the preferences misc config folder before I started. But not sure what I am supposed to copy and where to.
Yes there are 2000 books on the laptop..
I copied the whole calibre folder.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did open the preferences misc config folder before I started. But not sure what I am supposed to copy and where to.
Yes there are 2000 books on the laptop..
I copied the whole calibre folder.
copy the entire preferences folder to the the same location on laptop.

can you see metadata.db in same folder as the 2000 books on laptop ? that is calibre's library database file - if that did not copy or has been overwritten then that is why the laptop library appears empty
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
copy the entire preferences folder to the the same location on laptop.

can you see metadata.db in same folder as the 2000 books on laptop ? that is calibre's library database file - if that did not copy or has been overwritten then that is why the laptop library appears empty

Copy the whole preferences folder .. or just its contents and delete whats in it now if there?
Yes can see metadata.db
Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

I am puzzled then - your laptop calibre should be reading metadata.db & seeing the 2000 books.

i'd do everything again from scratch & see what happens - you want to clone both the library folder & the preferences folder from desktop to laptop.

suggest 1. remove calibre from laptop
2, copy those 2 folders - i'd use the excellent & free freefilesync utility - google it
3. install calibre to laptop - it should then find everything
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Copy the whole preferences folder .. or just its contents and delete whats in it now if there?
Yes can see metadata.db
I would do the entire contents, deleting is optional, No overwrite is NOT optional Usually, there will be a 1 to 1, but if you had different devices configured before, a merge will keep some of the configurations.

On the Library Issue: Check the Ownership and Write permissions on the files.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I am puzzled then - your laptop calibre should be reading metadata.db & seeing the 2000 books.

i'd do everything again from scratch & see what happens - you want to clone both the library folder & the preferences folder from desktop to laptop.

suggest 1. remove calibre from laptop
2, copy those 2 folders - i'd use the excellent & free freefilesync utility - google it
3. install calibre to laptop - it should then find everything
Thanks Will try that then and see what happens. But won't calibre remember its been installed already and found not many files?

Last edited by book64; 05-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

On the Library Issue: Check the Ownership and Write permissions on the files.
??? Don't understand
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
??? Don't understand
If you don't own or have Full group rights to a file or folder, you can't see (or modify) it. This is an OS feature.

If you restored from a CD, the files/folders may now be READ ONLY. You need to fix that with properties settings

Completely restoring THE ENTIRE Library folder, then having Calibre Switch to the restored Library Location (it doen not need to be the same as the old) is all that is normally needed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
book64
Love reading

Is there a shortcut to AppData I can type in the search box on vista?

As cant seem to find it
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
try typing %APPDATA% in Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote