Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The basic Kindle is about the cheapest, as well as being one of the best.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #62
DeeEs
DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad/iPhone
I was thinking more of something like the textr Beagle.
An argument where many print book reader would give it a try, too.
DeeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not actually a book reader at all - it's a digital photo frame, to which page images are sent from a mobile phone app.

But yes - it's certainly cheap, if price really is your primary consideration .
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #64
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not actually a book reader at all - it's a digital photo frame, to which page images are sent from a mobile phone app.

But yes - it's certainly cheap, if price really is your primary consideration .
Yeah, that thing looks awful, the worst of all possible solutions.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #65
DeeEs
DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DeeEs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exactly like my mp3-player that I use when I go to the pool not the best, but does what it's supposed to.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #66
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEs View Post
Exactly like my mp3-player that I use when I go to the pool not the best, but does what it's supposed to.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #67
DeeEs

Heyyyy
Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The textr device may find a market among those who perhaps only read a book when they go away on holiday, but I can't see it being successful among regular readers. Any idea how it's doing in Germany? I believe yours is the only country where it's been released so far.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #69
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEs View Post
Heyyyy
Just Kidding, I know where you are coming from.

I did look into that device recently and couldn't for the life of me figure out what good it was. If I have to have my phone or laptop to use it then I can just read on them in most situations. Of course bright sunlight can be an issue with lcd screens.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #70
DeeEs

Actually it is not released yet. But I can imagine, that the concept works. Of course, it is thought as a second reader next to a real one.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #71
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The textr device may find a market among those who perhaps only read a book when they go away on holiday, but I can't see it being successful among regular readers.
It could be useful for classrooms. Since most high schools students are mandated to read at least one public domain book per year (curse Shakespeare), schools could easily recoup the cost of the device over the span of a year.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #72
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
What I really want is an app that does a better job of allowing me to organize books, keeps track of which books I've read and which ones I haven't.
Like many people I'm using Goodreads to keep track of all that. Having entered all the books I've read, and which ones I liked best it gives me good recommendations for other books I might like. And this is working great! My reading volume has gone waaayy up in the past few weeks since I started using Goodreads. True, it's not integrated with an e-reader itself, but I don't mind going back and forth. Another feature I like is that having identified a book I'd like to read, it helps me to find it - including from my Public Library which I've added to the list of sources!

As for the OP's original question, I like the swiss army knife approach of the tablets - give me email, and android's app store, I want it all! If I'm going to have these nice big 7-inch screens they might as well earn their keep. After all, isn't that how Smartphones evolved? Starting off originally as a dedicated phone you carried in your pocket, other functions were added to replace other devices; mp3 players, cameras, etc ...
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #73
kennyc

I don't understand why some people make a big deal out of tracking every book they read, I figure either it made an impression on you or it didn't. A few in the former everything else in the later...
Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #74
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm all for less features on my reader to keep me happy. My Sony 350s are perfect for me. I don't need or even want internet, I prefer to side-load my books and keep everything in one place in a Calibre library. I also added a "Read" column in Calibre where I keep track of the books I've read without having to go to another website. I have games installed with PRS+ but I don't play them at all.

If I want to listen to an audio book (can't remember the last time I did that though) or listen to music, I have a tiny Sansa Clip mp3 player that's much smaller and lighter than carrying an ereader around for that. And I'm no longer obsessed keeping every single book on my reader at all times, I only keep about 100 on now.

I don't want to read on a phone or on a bigger tablet, I only want to read on e-ink since I read outdoors a lot and back lit screens are just garbage for reading in the sun.

It's "KISS" for me as far as my ereader goes.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #75
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't understand why some people make a big deal out of tracking every book they read, I figure either it made an impression on you or it didn't. A few in the former everything else in the later...
Well, you're quite right. In terms of feeding the GoodReads algorithm for recommendations all they really need are the books I Liked, obviously, although I suppose it could help if they also knew the ones I'd already read, and the ones I Didn't like (for whatever reason).

But, I must say that it was kind of fun, as a one-time exercise to reflect back on everything I've read over my lifetime. As a memory test, if nothing else!

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote