Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Swallowing my pride

Recently I posted a thread being so proud that I managed to use the mobi2mobi tools to sort books by author. Okay, I did that once......with leeps help.
Now, while I"ve gotten the hang of the command prompt, I'm obviously not using the proper command. I have managed to change the titles correctly, but the authors are not showing up, and the books are sorting themselves to the last page again.
Here is what I'm typing, how am I doing it wrong?

mobi2mobi "Mortal Coils.azw.prc" --outfile "Mortal Coils.azw.prc." author "Aldous Huxley"

The response is the long 'detail' but it does show 'author unknown'.

The book is showing up in my folder as "Mortal Coils".azw. It doesn't list the author, and I notice the others, which sort properly, do. 'sigh. I know i"m just not seeing something somewhere. Thanks.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Are you using author or --author?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Also, I'm not sure what happens when the input and output file are identical, which they seem to be here. Try making them different.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Are you using author or --author?
I was using 'author'.....(running to try --author........
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

SUCCESS! Adding the "--" before author was the key. I knew it was just a simple thing. I thank you!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
SUCCESS! Adding the "--" before author was the key. I knew it was just a simple thing. I thank you!
The main problem most people have with "command lines" is that you must get the syntax exactly right. There is no forgiveness.

However, if you keep that in mind and know the available variants, it can be very flexible in getting things done.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
EXACTLY!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
The main problem most people have with "command lines" is that you must get the syntax exactly right. There is no forgiveness.

However, if you keep that in mind and know the available variants, it can be very flexible in getting things done.
Yes, I remembered that from the 'olden days'..... I knew it was just a matter of making the little man inside understand what I wanted. I do dearly love command prompt!

Someone suggest a good book or site where I can learn more?

Gotta get ready to go to work now, but tonight? Oh.....tonight its all about whipping those nasty books into shape, and where they belong.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Yes, I remembered that from the 'olden days'..... I knew it was just a matter of making the little man inside understand what I wanted. I do dearly love command prompt!

Someone suggest a good book or site where I can learn more?

Gotta get ready to go to work now, but tonight? Oh.....tonight its all about whipping those nasty books into shape, and where they belong.
DG please not the Riding crop again...
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
DG please not the Riding crop again...
OH, yeah! And there will be a smile on my furry cat face the entire time!
Yee-ha!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Yes, I remembered that from the 'olden days'..... I knew it was just a matter of making the little man inside understand what I wanted.
The problem with the little man is that he does exactly what you tell him and not what you want him to...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The problem with the little man is that he does exactly what you tell him and not what you want him to...
Yes.....exactly. I"m on a roll here....two books done. Life is good.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Yes.....exactly. I"m on a roll here....two books done. Life is good.
Dont you have to go to work??? Or are you gonna take a sick day just to monkey with the little man in the box???

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Dont you have to go to work??? Or are you gonna take a sick day just to monkey with the little man in the box???

JJ
It isn't really work.....I walk two doors down and watch my granddaughter while mama goes into her classroom to prepare for the new school term. Once school starts, we'll all be there..me just to be a volunteer. But she does nap still in the afternoon.....so that might give me some more time to monkey around with the little man.....He will NOT know what hit him......and don't tell him I"m coming...shhhhh.........