Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
The Secret History is twenty years old.
Sorry, I missed the new part.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
Eastlondonboy
Banned
Eastlondonboy doesn't litterEastlondonboy doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I loved Homer and Langley by Doctorow, but not sure if you consider that literary fiction or not. Also Last Night on Twisted River by John Irving.

And one of the best things I've read - The Road by Cormac McCarthy - some might call that SF though.
OK, I'll check that out. I've read Doctorow before, his seminal work, which I can't remember the name of...is it Ragtime? It was great anway.

I found the opening pages of Cormac McCarthy's Road too excruciatingly depressing, although I am a fan of the film version.

John Irving isn't an author I'm familiar with. I'll check him out.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Eastlondonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Sorry, I missed the new part.
Lots of books on there, an interesting blog.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Yes.

Why would I joke? Here is a review: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/bo...ew/Kois-t.html

The book was also in the Booker this year.
OK, thanks. Although the boarding school in the British Isles isn't selling me on location!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Google for the "orange prize" and read the winners.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #21
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Google for the "orange prize" and read the winners.
Thanks for the recommendation, Dixie Gal. Babylon is somewhere that interests me. Will look into it.

Oops, I actually thought it was a historical book about Babylon lol
Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #22
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Their winners are controversial to me as an American. But it is thoughtful controversary and seeing a different world view. 2009's (or2008?) was the story of a Hiroshima survivor who had a burning hatred for Americans. If I remember right, she falls In love with an American. Something along those lines.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastlondonboy View Post
Lots of books on there, an interesting blog.
Thanks. I'm starting it back up in the new year. I had a really high goal of books to read this year and didn't have time to work on it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #24
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I'm just reading "C" by Tom McCarthy - also shortlisted for the Booker Prize. It's full of interesting literary devices and by no means a conventional narrative.
I would say "A Death in The Family" by James Agee is the best thing I have read this year.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #25
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I'm just reading "C" by Tom McCarthy - also shortlisted for the Booker Prize. It's full of interesting literary devices and by no means a conventional narrative.
I would say "A Death in The Family" by James Agee is the best thing I have read this year.
Thanks. I read an excerpt of C, and thought it was interesting, but wasn't convinced enought to buy.
I'll check out James Agee for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Thanks. I read an excerpt of C, and thought it was interesting, but wasn't convinced enought to buy.
I'll check out James Agee for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
Well since we are talking about NEW books, that particular one "A Death in the Family" is a half-century old.

It's available on-line at google books (not downloadable though):
http://books.google.com/books?id=Rin...page&q&f=false

Last edited by kennyc; 11-29-2010 at 02:48 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #27
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well since we are talking about NEW books, that particular one "A Death in the Family" is a half-century old.

It's available on-line at google books (not downloadable though):
http://books.google.com/books?id=Rin...page&q&f=false
Is this available on Kindle? I never heard of this author. I always thought William Faulkner was the main man in the south - ignorance of American literature, I suppose!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Is this available on Kindle? I never heard of this author. I always thought William Faulkner was the main man in the south - ignorance of American literature, I suppose!
Yep. Just click that link and the the Amazon link on the left.

There are a number of "Southern "gothic" writers
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #29
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson. Not new but newly translated into English. It is a Dutch novel about hiding Jews during WWII.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson. Not new but newly translated into English. It is a Dutch novel about hiding Jews during WWII.
GReat, thank you. I'm discovering so many new authors here!