Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2023, 11:47 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't normally show page numbers either — but my Glowlight 3, without the update, so I still have hyphenation and better selection of font sizes — doesn't allow me to remove page numbers.
I will say I haven't noticed super wide spaces between words. Removing hyphenation didn't damage layout as much as I feared. Though I still don't understand why they did it. I would like to see it return.

Quote:
As for Kindles... I hardly ever read anything on them anymore. The wide margins and poor typography bother me.
Man, you've got it right on the wide margins. I heard how Kindles had much better layout since KFX came along. Since I bought so many Kindle books, I haven't sideloaded anything and am reading books as Amazon wants me to: WiFi onbooks purchased and downloaded from Amazon in their KFX format and... it doesn't look good. The space between the sentences is too wide and so are the margins.

It's... fine. But out of Kobo (patched, admittedly) kepub, Nook ePub and Kindle KFX... Kindle is definitely in third place.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:02 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Since I bought so many Kindle books, I haven't sideloaded anything and am reading books as Amazon wants me to: WiFi onbooks purchased and downloaded from Amazon in their KFX format and... it doesn't look good. The space between the sentences is too wide and so are the margins.

It's... fine. But out of Kobo (patched, admittedly) kepub, Nook ePub and Kindle KFX... Kindle is definitely in third place.
Yeah. I read on Kindles for many years, but never direct downloads and never KFX. For one thing, I'm very fussy about font sizes and had to use the font_ramp hack on my Kindles to get the font size more or less right. Font_ramp doesn't work with KFX.

Since buying my first Kobo, I started to prefer narrow margins (not quite edge-to-edge, though). So I had to edit all my Kindle books to insert negative margins in them. Again, that meant no direct downloads.

I don't actually remember when I last read a direct download. 10 years ago, I guess. I don't download directly to my Kobos either.

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-18-2023 at 12:05 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2023, 05:15 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Without kerning and ligatures, kepub IS faster.
Not by much. And without kerning, ligatures, and hyphenation, it's not nearly as nice to read as ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:27 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Man, you've got it right on the wide margins. I heard how Kindles had much better layout since KFX came along.
Overall, KFX is worse. You are forced to have a wide line-height and for any KFX downloaded from Amazon, you cannot fix the L/R margin. So that's too wide.

Amazon's layout is rather poor.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Overall, KFX is worse. You are forced to have a wide line-height and for any KFX downloaded from Amazon, you cannot fix the L/R margin. So that's too wide.

Amazon's layout is rather poor.
From my very limited experience so far, I agree with you.
Advert
Old 03-18-2023, 06:19 PM   #36
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I can't imagine why Amazon has such huge margins. On the Scribe, the text of Amazon books is like a stream running down the middle of a wide valley. This can be fixed with Calibre, but you have to have a book without DRM (there's a thread about how to do this). I've started to get all my books from Kobo -- if only they would release the Elipsa with 300 dpi.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:35 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

With KF8 and ChareInk6SP, you can reduce the line height because the font has the metadata to render with a smaller line height. This works well.

But, KFX ignore the metadata and sticks with the default too wide line-height. And because you cannot remove the DRM of KFX (downloaded from Amazon), you cannot add negative margins to the CSS.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:11 PM   #38
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
RMSDK (epub) typography is much better than Access (kepub). I have tried everything to make kepub look as good as epub, but i get uneven letter and word spacing no matter what i try, so i prefer to read epubs.

I still miss some kepub features, like rapid page turning or image zooming, and hope Kobo updates RMDSK to new version, like Pocketbook did.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:35 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
RMSDK (epub) typography is much better than Access (kepub). I have tried everything to make kepub look as good as epub, but i get uneven letter and word spacing no matter what i try, so i prefer to read epubs.

I still miss some kepub features, like rapid page turning or image zooming, and hope Kobo updates RMDSK to new version, like Pocketbook did.
If Kobo updated RMSDK to the current version, they'd not have any need for KePub.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Kobo updated RMSDK to the current version, they'd not have any need for KePub.
Is there any reader that uses the latest RMSDK?

Oh, I saw your question in the Nook forum about which version Nook is using, but wasn't sure how to check.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:08 PM   #41
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Is there any reader that uses the latest RMSDK
Almost all Pocketbooks released in the last 5 years, at least the ones that still receive updates.

Last edited by Krios; 03-20-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Almost all Pocketbooks released in the last 5 years, at least the ones that still receive updates.
Do they have the same features as kepub on Kobo? Primarily, the option to use dynamic page numbering (one screen=one page)?
Old 03-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #43
Krios
Zealot

Quote:
Do they have the same features as kepub on Kobo? Primarily, the option to use dynamic page numbering (one screen=one page)?
You have "built-in" page numbering setting, which is on by default (1024 characters = 1 page), if you turn it off you get dynamic page numbering (one screen=one page).

Pocketbook have a lot of same features as kepub reader on Kobo, like rapid page turning, image zooming, importing calibre metadata (series, tags), etc., only thing lacking are Margin and Line Spacing settings, there are only 3 presets.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:59 PM   #44
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
You have "built-in" page numbering setting, which is on by default (1024 characters = 1 page), if you turn it off you get dynamic page numbering (one screen=one page).

Pocketbook have a lot of same features as kepub reader on Kobo, like rapid page turning, image zooming, importing calibre metadata (series, tags), etc., only thing lacking are Margin and Line Spacing settings, there are only 3 presets.
And they have no way to add weight to a font. Which is the main reason I've never bought a Pocketbook.

Yes, I know I can install KOReader. I don't want to.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:04 PM   #45
Krios
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And they have no way to add weight to a font. Which is the main reason I've never bought a Pocketbook.

Yes, I know I can install KOReader. I don't want to.
Yeah, i forgot about that, but default weight is similar to what i use on Kobo, so i don't mind it.