Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2023, 05:15 PM   #31261
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Next, The Year When Stardust Fell by Raymond F. Jones.
Old school (1950s) apocalypse story that's a cross between Father Knows Best and Leave It to Beaver. It's underlining message eerily holds up well. Nice read. Rated C [3 stars].

Next TBD
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:19 PM   #31262
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Reading another Hitchcock anthology, Tales to Take Your Breath Away. Sadly, many of the stories are in later anthologies that I've already read, so I'm doing a lot of skipping.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:05 PM   #31263
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished Ivory by Mike Resnick. Excellent book, glad I followed a Mobileread recommendation. Scifi

Now on to The Adventures of Langdon St Ives by James Blaylock. Bought for my sister back in 2011 and finally getting to it myself. Steampunk Fantasy.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:50 AM   #31264
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Time Traveller's Almanac. A massive (1200+ pages) collection of time traveller stories.
And an excellent collection it is too. But it reminds me again that I prefer novels to short stories.

Next up: Some non-fiction. Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes by Rob Wilkins. The Official Biography.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:58 AM   #31265
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:

<SNIP>

Next up: The Time Traveller's Almanac. A massive (1200+ pages) collection of time traveller stories.
I listened to an audiobook of this ages ago and remember liking it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #31266
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr. It seems an oddly put together book, with several threads from different timelines told in relatively short snippets. But I found each story thread almost instantly fascinating and I loved the characters, they seemed to spring to life in just a few lines. It took me a long time to read, mostly because of life, but also because the short scenes feel quite dense and full of impact. Loved it. 5/5.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:16 AM   #31267
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Currently reading Miss Buncle's Book , my seventh D.E Stevenson and shaping up as one of my favourites. A great mood-lifter
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:50 AM   #31268
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Some non-fiction. Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes by Rob Wilkins. The Official Biography.
Wonderful. Best book I've read for months.

Next up: No idea.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:50 AM   #31269
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Currently reading Miss Buncle's Book , my seventh D.E Stevenson and shaping up as one of my favourites. A great mood-lifter
I have mixed feelings about D.E. Stevenson, or to put it more accurately, I find her books to be all over the place. Some, like Buncle, are charming, and some are so appallingly classist/racist/imperialist as to be unendurable. To be clear, I'm not bothered by books that are of their time in terms of casual or throwaway comments, but some Stevenson books have those issues as their raison d'être.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #31270
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have mixed feelings about D.E. Stevenson, or to put it more accurately, I find her books to be all over the place. Some, like Buncle, are charming, and some are so appallingly classist/racist/imperialist as to be unendurable. To be clear, I'm not bothered by books that are of their time in terms of casual or throwaway comments, but some Stevenson books have those issues as their raison d'être.
Oh, I could not agree more! "all over the place" is a perfect description.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:33 PM   #31271
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: No idea.
Bought today: Run Rose Run by Dolly Parton and James Patterson.

Light fun so far.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:07 PM   #31272
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I FINALLY finished Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain.

I'm still working my way through War and Peace at my chapter-a-day pace.

I'm listening to To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini. I got it on a whim because the narrator is one of my favorite voice actors of all time. I'm not sure its terribly good, but it is a pleasant listen and it was a library loan.

As soon as I finished Mann, I got through half of Connie Willis' book of short stories Fire Watch in one sitting.

When I finish Willis, I'll be starting a Robert Jackson Bennett's Locklands series to fill my personal challenge of reading at least 10 books selected by my wife this year. We got the last of the three paperbacks yesterday, so I can read it all in one go and get 3 more books out of the total. I think I've already read 2 that she picked.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:36 PM   #31273
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just finished Trust, by Domenico Starnone, a wonderfully discerning novel about tangled relationships and frustrated dreams. By the way, he MAY be the husband of one of the most celebrated writers alive today: Elena Ferrante.

I hope she soon wins the Nobel Prize in Literature, but after Joyce Carol Oates. (Well, I can dream.)

OK, so now I started another novel by Domenico Starnone: First Execution.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-22-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #31274
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Conan the Triumphant by Robert Jordan. Good pulpy stuff...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:15 AM   #31275
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Bought today: Run Rose Run by Dolly Parton and James Patterson.

Light fun so far.
A bit of grim background, but overall light and fluffy. There's some songs featuring in the story, with full lyrics given at the end. I suspect that a CD of them available somewhere.

Next up: The Best of Jerry Pournelle. Another recent purchase.