Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 02-28-2023, 09:03 AM   #61
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
The Chrome link is: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lngjbkcjponfha

However, I haven't tried this. Does the resulting zip file contain mp3s? I also don't understand why the libby.txt file is necessary when downloads via the OverDrive desktop app don't have such a file.
The text file would just give some helpful metadata for use with a particular player app. Not strictly needed at all.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:39 PM   #62
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Thanks. This is all a bit above my head tech-wise, but still intriguing
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:59 AM   #63
Cowgirl509
Cowgirl509 began at the beginning.

Device: Mp3 Player
can I get that file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
I've got something called an ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi Which says it's from overdrive. But it's from 2013, and runs on my Win7. just under 5mb. Dunno whether that will actually find the right files now.
Do you still have that file, I realize next month they are getting rid of the mp3 from the Library System, but I can get a few audio books this month to listen to on my MP3 player
Cowgirl509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:14 AM   #64
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl509 View Post
Do you still have that file, I realize next month they are getting rid of the mp3 from the Library System, but I can get a few audio books this month to listen to on my MP3 player
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...29#post4262329
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #65
Cowgirl509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I've noticed for the past few weeks that when I borrow library audiobooks, while the site does give me the option to use Overdrive on my PC (Windows 7), the download is only the odm file; I then have to open my Overdrive and drag the odm file to it to start the download.

(Similar thing is happening lately when I borrow e-books; the download is only the acsm file and I have to open ADE and drag the acsm file to it.)

I don't want to use the Libby app. I download files to my PC and then listen to them on a dedicated mp3 player. I don't know if Libby will allow that.
I can't find your post to my question a few days ago, but i was able to get that Overdrive file again, so I can atleast grab a few Audio books for my Mp3, until they kill the MP3 downloads next month.. Thank You
Old 03-02-2023, 11:15 AM   #66
Cowgirl509

Found it, Thank You, I will check this out next month when they kill the MP3 downloads in Overdrive. (Found the Overdrive file on my portable HD) whew..
Old 03-03-2023, 09:21 AM   #67
Riter
Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, pc
UPDATE: The most recent Overdrive for Desktop app was published in 2016. I was using a relic from backup files from a couple of computers ago and the link to update led only to the Libby apps. Overdrive support did come through with a link to the 2016 version and it works. Should you need it, try https://static.od-cdn.com/ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi.

It still won't hurt to urge them to continue to support this app!

We need to bombard Overdrive with howls of anguish. I always transfer my files to a tiny MP3 player with wired earbuds that don't need to be charged. Here are reasons to include in your support pleas:

* My phone is too heavy and I seldom have pockets. That's awkward when I'm out of range for Bluetooth buds

* I can't afford Bluetooth buds that last more than a few weeks and stay charged more than a couple of hours.

* I don't want the distraction of a smartphone always available while I'm listening.

* Bluetooth buds are too easily lost.

I think I also added a few points about visually impaired people and convalescents who listen to books for days at a time and ... get creative! The response confirmed that Libby does not currently support transfer technology, but perhaps it can be added in future versions. Yell people, yell! Also let your libraries know how frantic you are, including the same points. They'll tell you they're powerless, but they can convey user dissatisfaction to Overdrive. Also remind them that if you can't transfer, you'll quit downloading and that impacts their funding.

The link to start a support ticket with Overdrive: https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/72229...a-Support-Form

Last edited by Riter; 03-10-2023 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Update
Riter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:38 PM   #68
Riter
Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hellfire and damnation. Overdrive for Windows Desktop just died! They've totally pulled the plug and I have two new titles waiting for transfer. I'm an eBook junkie. How will I get my fix? Please scream to Libby support, Overdrive support and your local libraries! The only thing that will get their attention is the drop in downloads from libraries, so I suppose that will eventually come through. AARGH!
Old 03-06-2023, 02:08 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riter View Post
Hellfire and damnation. Overdrive for Windows Desktop just died! They've totally pulled the plug and I have two new titles waiting for transfer. I'm an eBook junkie. How will I get my fix? Please scream to Libby support, Overdrive support and your local libraries! The only thing that will get their attention is the drop in downloads from libraries, so I suppose that will eventually come through. AARGH!
Sorry, but that's not correct. I just tested downloading two audiobooks and they downloaded no problem. So for now, Overdrive for Windows still works with audiobooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:53 PM   #70
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
According to the Libby FAQ, only the OverDrive apps for iOS, Android, and Windows 8/10 are being sunset at the end of April. "The legacy OverDrive for Windows and OverDrive for Mac desktop software that allows users to download audiobooks and transfer them to dedicated MP3 players will not be sunset at the end of April. While we no longer support new downloads of this software, users who already have it installed can continue to use it by downloading audiobooks from your library’s .overdrive.com website." [emphasis added]
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:24 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
According to the Libby FAQ, only the OverDrive apps for iOS, Android, and Windows 8/10 are being sunset at the end of April. "The legacy OverDrive for Windows and OverDrive for Mac desktop software that allows users to download audiobooks and transfer them to dedicated MP3 players will not be sunset at the end of April. While we no longer support new downloads of this software, users who already have it installed can continue to use it by downloading audiobooks from your library’s .overdrive.com website." [emphasis added]
That is awesome news! Thank you for finding it and sharing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #72
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
UPDATE: The most recent Overdrive for Desktop app was published in 2016. I was using a relic from backup files from a couple of computers ago and the link to update led only to the Libby apps. Overdrive support did come through with a link to the 2016 version and it works. Should you need it, try https://static.od-cdn.com/ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi.
Works well. thank you
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:36 PM   #73
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Could re-installation and turning off automatic update help? The link you provided gives me a working version as of now.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:26 PM   #74
me10lee83
me10lee83 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I found this, Overdrive Media Console, today and was able to install it. However I can't find a way to download an audio book from my library. I go to the library overdrive site, but it just either directs me to Libby or plays it in the browser (which of course is the same interface is Libby)

Here's the link if anyone wants it. And if anyone knows how you can still download the mp3, let me know https://overdrive-media-console.soft...d/#downloading
me10lee83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #75
Riter

As you can see from the screenshot below, in the Download box, below the red "Listen now in browser" button, you see blue letters with "Get the Libby app ..." Below that in smaller black letters you see "Do you have the OverDrive App?" Click that little arrow (or the text itself), and you can download the book. That option also works on a couple of other library sites I know of.

If that doesn't work, there may be another factor. When you search for a topic, the Audiobooks filter gives you the option to choose between Overdrive Listen audiobooks and MP3 audiobooks. I don't see that option when I check out a specific book and I always have the Overdrive app download option. However, it may be possible that Overdrive offers less expensive plans that are limited to the non-MP3 Overdirve Listen. If that's the case, you're dead in the water. If you have any question about this, call your library and explain your situation.

BTW, if you ever need to attach a screenshot from your computer, select the Advanced reply option and click on the microscopic paperclip icon at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overdrive download.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	201029  

Last edited by Riter; 04-14-2023 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Found new info on attaching images from computer