Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2023, 05:49 AM   #106
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As I understand from another post, you can actually fine-tune margins and line spacing on a Pocketbook, just not as easily as on a Kobo. Good to know that. Now if only they added the weight adjustment, there would be no need for KOReader. I don't get why they have not done it. Even Nooks and Kindles have had the weight adjustment for ages.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:56 AM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yes it does. Three settings. The screenshots I posted above were in the middle line setting. Attached are the three line space settings (using the middle and the narrowest margin settings).

I should mention these are taken from the Basic Lux 3 (212 ppi). I don't know if Touch Lux 3 (300 ppi) would look different or not. Also should mention that you can't change a book from justified to unjustified or vice versa. You can turn hyphenation on or off. The font size in these samples is "12 point."
Can you decrease the line height using line-height in CSS?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:29 AM   #108
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As I understand from another post, you can actually fine-tune margins and line spacing on a Pocketbook, just not as easily as on a Kobo. Good to know that. Now if only they added the weight adjustment, there would be no need for KOReader. I don't get why they have not done it. Even Nooks and Kindles have had the weight adjustment for ages.
I'm more bothered by PocketBook's font size scale (which doesn't fit my preferences and which I haven't found a way to modify), which forces me to modify the font size with external programs to adjust it to my tastes. Here I do see a big advantage in Kobo's patches (or even Kindle's simple FONT_RAMP file).

On the other hand, in my case I doubt very much that the improvements that can be made to PB Reader will put me off using KOReader. If Kobo's patches haven't done it, it's not going to happen in PocketBook. There are too many extra options that KOReader offers me over any other reading program for me to reconsider the change. But I understand that not everyone likes KOReader.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:30 AM   #109
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you decrease the line height using line-height in CSS?
Sorry, I don't know for certain. Looking at the configuration files I found this one — "settings-pref.ini" — this may be where you would change line spacing.

prf.css.eink.bold.font.path STR,EXPL,HID "/mnt/ext1/system/fonts/Constantia-Bold.ttf"
prf.css.eink.bold_italic.font.path STR,EXPL,HID "/mnt/ext1/system/fonts/Constantia-BoldItalic.ttf"
prf.css.eink.font.family STR,EXPL,HID "Constantia"
prf.css.eink.italic.font.path STR,EXPL,HID "/mnt/ext1/system/fonts/Constantia-Italic.ttf"
prf.css.eink.line_spacing.double STR,EXPL,HID "180%"
prf.css.eink.line_spacing.one.and.half STR,EXPL,HID "132%"
prf.css.eink.line_spacing.single STR,EXPL,HID "112%"
prf.css.eink.page.padding-bottom STR,EXPL,HID "0%"
prf.css.eink.page.padding-left STR,EXPL,HID "2%"
prf.css.eink.page.padding-right STR,EXPL,HID "2%"
prf.css.eink.page.padding-top STR,EXPL,HID "1.2%"
prf.css.eink.regular.font.path STR,EXPL,HID "/mnt/ext1/system/fonts/Constantia-Regular.ttf"
prf.css.line_spacing LEN,EXPL,ADV "112%"
prf.css.line_spacing_preset ENUM,EXPL "single"
prf.css.page.margin_preset ENUM,EXPL "none"
prf.css_force_font STR,EXPL,ADV "Constantia"
prf.eink.dictionary.lock INT,EXPL,CREATE 1
prf.eink.hard.page.orientation STR,EXPL,HID "0"
prf.eink.txt.show.pager INT,EXPL,CREATE 0
prf.eink.txt.show.status.panel INT,EXPL,CREATE 0
prf.font_size REAL,EXPL 12.0
prf.hyphenation ENUM,EXPL "max"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:57 AM   #110
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Sorry, I don't know for certain. Looking at the configuration files I found this one — "settings-pref.ini" — this may be where you would change line spacing.
No. @cellaris summarised the way to do it in post #76. I can see why you may have been thrown off track because he/she also mentioned KOReader in the same sentence (because, if you prefer, you could use KOR's built-in text editor without needing a USB connection to do the editing via your PC). Those 2 config files are for the PocketBook native firmware only.

The 3 line spacing options (small, med, large) can be edited to your personal preferences in the /system/reader/linespacing.cfg config file.

Similarly, the 3 left/right page margins (small, med, large) can be edited in /system/reader/margins.cfg
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:26 PM   #111
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The 3 line spacing options (small, med, large) can be edited to your personal preferences in the /system/reader/linespacing.cfg config file.

Similarly, the 3 left/right page margins (small, med, large) can be edited in /system/reader/margins.cfg
Thank you for the correction. You're right about my glossing over this because of the mention of KoReader. It's not that I don't like KoReader (I have no opinion about it), it's just that I'm squeamish about installing it. I always worry that it will use up more battery, and PocketBooks are so good with batteries that I don't want to mess that up.

I'll take a look at the linespacing.cfg and margins.cfg files — although I'm pretty happy with the medium setting with both the line spacing and margins.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:35 PM   #112
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
I'll take a look at the linespacing.cfg and margins.cfg files — although I'm pretty happy with the medium setting with both the line spacing and margins.
If you are comfortable with PocketBook's values, you don't need to change anything. In the end, even if we have multiple options, we all end up using a single value. I always use the same font, the same font size, the same line spacing and the same margins, and I rarely change them. The point is to have options to get what you like. And it doesn't matter whether you have 50 options or just one if that's the one that suits you. I'm not worried about PocketBook (or Kindle or Tolino) having only 3 options, because I'm only going to use one. What worries me is that none of the 3 options fit me. Obviously, the more customisation options I have, the easier it is to fit them, but it's not always necessary. That will depend on the preferences of each user.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote