Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-23-2023, 12:23 PM   #61
katydid99
katydid99 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
And Marvin works fine - including highlighting - on iOS 16. Jon just doesn’t like that the highlighting is slightly above and below the existing line height.
Hi Turtle,

How are you able to make highlighting work? I'm on iOS 16 & this is one of my most-used Marvin features, but I haven't been able to use it since upgrading to 16.

I select some text, get the default iOS options in a pop-up (Copy, Select All, etc.). Right-arrowing past share, I get some white-on-white Marvin options (including Deep View), but haven't found any highlight options.

Your help is much appreciated! TIA
katydid99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #62
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You can still use those white on off-white options, they're just a little more difficult to see.

If highlighting is your most used feature (like me) then you can go into Settings/'EPUB book settings' scroll down and click on 'Manage' under TEXT SELECTION MENU. You can arrange the order of the menu commands (tapping on the widget in the top-right corner allows you to enter select mode), or delete all of them except 'Highlight'. However you want to do it just get 'Highlight' to be at the top of the list.

Now, in your book, select whatever word/phrase you want to highlight, right-arrow past the Apple options and the first selection (only selection if you deleted all the others) is highlight...tap in the middle of the bar.

I asked before, but if anyone knows of a way to edit that pop up menu in iOS so the background color is a little darker - that would be VERY helpful!

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:50 PM   #63
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
Just an update for those who want to upgrad to ios 17. I upgraded my iphone 14 pro to ios 17.0.3 yesterday and so far Marvin app is still working fine. I don't use highlighting so I don't really care if it doesn't work. I have another iphone on ios 16 and can sync my books with Dropbox and read where I left off in another device. I can also still download books via Dropbox.

On ios 16, I notice if I "look up" words, Marvin will hang and I would need to restart the app. It's still the same on ios 17.
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 07:54 AM   #64
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That matches my experience as well...except for the "look up" hanging...I don't have any issues with that. And highlighting is working great - I literally use it every day. I'm running iOS 17.03 (iphone 11 pro...I know...just can't seem to find a reason for a newer one ).

I also tried Marvin's "look up in Wikipedia" in addition to Apple's "Look up" option and both seemed to work fine. Perhaps there is some other option/setting that is causing a conflict??
Old 10-06-2023, 08:28 PM   #65
maxyn83
Enthusiast

I tried it again and the book is still freezing after doing a "look up". Are you using the system dictionary? I tried to change the system dictionary to see if it will fix it but it's still the same. Don't really use it much though so I just ignore the "look up" and restart if it freezes. Still like using Marvin coz it's one time payment and using my own cloud. Has anyone else found a good alternative? (Not BookFusion please)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:58 PM   #66
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

For dictionaries I have 3 selected in Apple settings/general/dictionary:

2 English(US) (New Oxford American Dictionary, and Oxford American Writer’s Thesaurus) and the “Apple Dictionary”.

I have Marvin/General Settings/Dictionary set to ‘System’.

It’s strange because I’ve been using the “look up” a lot recently (mostly to prove to my wife that I’m pronouncing the words correctly ) and haven’t had it freeze up at all.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:04 AM   #67
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
@turtle

Do you have many books in Marvin?
Would you mind deleting them all and sending me your backup?
I would like to test my lookup with it.

Edit: easier would be sending me your settings.plist file from diagnostic I think

Last edited by Wiggo; 10-07-2023 at 01:19 AM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 03:10 AM   #68
maxyn83
Enthusiast

Quote:
For dictionaries I have 3 selected in Apple settings/general/dictionary:

2 English(US) (New Oxford American Dictionary, and Oxford American Writer’s Thesaurus) and the “Apple Dictionary”.

I have Marvin/General Settings/Dictionary set to ‘System’.

It’s strange because I’ve been using the “look up” a lot recently (mostly to prove to my wife that I’m pronouncing the words correctly ) and haven’t had it freeze up at all.
I have the same settings with 'System'. Lucky you with the not freezing. Maybe I have some other settings on that's not making nice with the look up. I don't use it much anyways and usually a restart of the app is fast so I don't mind it.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:09 AM   #69
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
@turtle

Do you have many books in Marvin?
Would you mind deleting them all and sending me your backup?
I would like to test my lookup with it.

Edit: easier would be sending me your settings.plist file from diagnostic I think
I’d be happy to send a settings.plist. Is there any way you could describe where to find such a beast and how to coax it out of hiding??
Old 10-07-2023, 07:49 AM   #70
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It’s one of three files in the zip created by „!!!Send diagnostics”.
You can save this zip to your data and unzip it there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	705.9 KB
ID:	204144

Hopefully I will also be able to figure it out
Old 10-13-2023, 01:58 AM   #71
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
FWIW look up works ok for me too on iOS 17.0.3 which may be encouraging that it’s an environmental setting rather than something for all installs.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:19 AM   #72
katydid99
katydid99 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad air
Thanks Turtle for the highlighting tip!

Quote:
You can still use those white on off-white options, they're just a little more difficult to see.

If highlighting is your most used feature (like me) then you can go into Settings/'EPUB book settings' scroll down and click on 'Manage' under TEXT SELECTION MENU. You can arrange the order of the menu commands (tapping on the widget in the top-right corner allows you to enter select mode), or delete all of them except 'Highlight'. However you want to do it just get 'Highlight' to be at the top of the list.

Now, in your book, select whatever word/phrase you want to highlight, right-arrow past the Apple options and the first selection (only selection if you deleted all the others) is highlight...tap in the middle of the bar.
Belated but sincere thanks, Turtle--I somehow missed this when you posted. But it will let me hang onto Marvin a bit longer!
katydid99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 02:43 AM   #73
Wiggo
Leftutti

Or you switch to dark mode, but then the standard icons are hardly visible
Old 12-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #74
Wiggo
Leftutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
FWIW look up works ok for me too on iOS 17.0.3 which may be encouraging that it’s an environmental setting rather than something for all installs.
FWIW I deleted Marvin from my iPhone and did a reinstall with "fresh" settings - look up still freezes Marvin
Old 12-09-2023, 01:19 PM   #75
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

It’s got to be an iPhone/ipad setting then and not a Marvin issue.