Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 04-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
Thistlekitten
Thistlekitten began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung android tablet and Canute 360
Braille Files

Hi folks, I'm a new to braille user and am looking to convert my ebooks into the .brf format. I can go around the houses by converting kindle to epub in Calibre, then shift to a different app to open a single epub at a time to convert to brf, but I was wondering if Calibre might start supporting conversion to brf? I have 900 books to convert and it's going to take me ages. 😅

Any other blind readers here?

Cheers for reading.
Thistlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:01 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlekitten View Post
I've always assumed that most visually impaired readers simply use screen readers or text-to-speech apps for reading books
For example, the free Thorium epub app comes with text-to-speech support.

You could also use the free Tobi app to add text-to-speech generated audio overlays to epub3 books. Unfortunately, very few mobile apps support this particular epub format. IIRC, it's currently only supported by the free Menestrello app.

If you'd rather use a Braille display, you could convert your books to text files with Calibre or use the Send To Braille tool.

EDIT: One of the Canute 360 UI developers, Matt Venn, has already written a PEF converter plugin for Calibre. (The Canute 360 supports both .brf and .pef files.)
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the current Calibre version, because it was written in Python2.

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-29-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I'm a new to braille user and am looking to convert my ebooks into the .brf format. I can go around the houses by converting kindle to epub in Calibre, then shift to a different app to open a single epub at a time to convert to brf, but I was wondering if Calibre might start supporting conversion to brf?
I'm not sure on exact conversion tools like that.

I never heard of the BRF format before... but blind readers are one of the reasons why I love digitizing print books into ebooks!

You may want to check out DAISY Consortium's website: DAISY.org and DAISY's Youtube channel.

They have a lot of resources for (blind) readers + digitizing and making fully Accessible books.

Here's one example Youtube video:

Especially watch:

Side Note: Just last month I ran across this fantastic Reddit post:

where a blind user, coarsing_batch, described the switch over to "Universal English Braille" in 2016.

He also linked over to the AFB (American Foundation for the Blind).

Maybe they will have some other helpful resources for you too.

Quote:
I have 900 books to convert and it's going to take me ages. 😅
What is the name of the tool you're currently using?

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of, but you guys could be secretly lurking everywhere online! :P

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-07-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote