Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-15-2022, 07:02 AM   #1
Unno
Unno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
Popup footnotes only shows first paragraph

I hope someone can see what's wrong here.

I have an ebook with a lot of footnotes. Many of the footnotes are several paragraphs long. I've tried a lot of variations to the HTML, but no matter what I do, my Kindle Paperwhite will only display the first paragraph of each footnote in the popup. Currently, it's set up exactly like the example on on the Amazon Guidelines page (https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/to...4DRT75GWWAGBTU).

If I tap "Go to footnote" I can see the whole thing, but that's a very subpar solution. Not only is it inconvenient, but it's not always clear if the footnote is multiple paragraphs.

In my Googling, not only have I failed to find a solution. I've failed to even find anyone else having this problem. This post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331142) mentions issues with formatting of the multiple paragraphs that are displayed in the popup, but there doesn't seem to be any problem seeing all the paragraphs.

Below is the basic format of my HTML. Does anyone see a problem with this? Am I doing something wrong? Is there some trick to this that I'm missing? I would really appreciate any help that you all could give me.

In the main text of the book (book.html), I have links like this:
<p>The text<a id="1" epub:type="noteref" href="#foot1">1</a></p>

Then, in the footnotes file, I have another link, as well as aside tags:
<aside id="foot1" epub:type="footnote">
<p><a epub:type="noteref" href="#1">1</a>First paragraph of footnote</p>
<p>Second paragraph of footnote</p>
</aside>
Unno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I have seen the same problem and I do not know of a workaround for it other than making each footnote a single paragraph.

It does appear that you can sometimes trick the Kindle into showing more than one paragraph by using undocumented, incorrect HTML coding but it doesn’t work consistently.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
Unno
Unno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 & 3
Thanks for the reply.

Of course, it doesn't fix my problem, but it's good to at least have validation that I'm not alone in dealing with this.

I seems so shortsighted for Amazon to not have such basic functionality on their devices. I guess all we can hope for is that at some point in the distant future, they fix it.
Unno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unno View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Of course, it doesn't fix my problem, but it's good to at least have validation that I'm not alone in dealing with this.

I seems so shortsighted for Amazon to not have such basic functionality on their devices. I guess all we can hope for is that at some point in the distant future, they fix it.
It seems pretty basic functionality to me. They have popups for the first paragraph of the footnote for those who skim footnotes; they have more information, more content, etc. for those that want it, by the simple expedient of clicking through. (shrug).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It does seem a shame. I sometimes get quite discursive in my Notes & Sources, which causes me to start paragraphing.

But I don't bother with pop-ups, so that's okay. Notes & Sources is really intended to be read by the truly valued reader, in whole or in part, sooner or later, the way I read the endnotes in any book. (Easier done in print than in digital, of course.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:17 PM   #6
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I've noticed the same problem with pop-up footnotes. They only show the first paragraph, and they don't indicate whether there are more paragraphs. I'm not familiar enough with the CSS of Kindle books to know if there is anything you can do to fix this. If you can, you should make your book so that it doesn't use pop-up footnotes. The old style of going directly to the footnotes section was better, and it's the main reason I still read heavily footnoted books on my Kindle Touch.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote