Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Is cover art a big deal?
Yes, it's a necessity for all ebooks. 49 39.84%
It's nice, but not a deal breaker. 60 48.78%
It doesn't matter in the slightest, I just want to read the book. 13 10.57%
As long as it's blue I don't care. 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #31
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Big fan of cover art and good cover artistw-it would be a shame if that profession died off just to make ebooks cheaper (either for publishers or readers), or quicker to download.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #32
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I want my reading experience to be as rich as possible with professional and artistic formatting, fonts, artwork, linking, etc. Instead, I've been getting little of that lately and rather unprofessional editing to boot. I feel as if publishers think that if they throw a bunch of words (many misspelled) into a file and post it on a server, I'll buy it. What happened to publishers that try to sell books by giving buyers all that they want and more? So, yes, I want great cover art on every ebook.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #33
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I enjoy browsing my covers in Calibre like browsing on a bookshelf. But if the book does not include it, I will download the cover myself.

I do think they should include it though. If they are going to charge us the full paper price, they should include everything and not be shoddy. If they want to be shoddy and skimp on the details, they should not charge full price.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I love having cover art. They are definitely a buying point when I buy ebooks. Otherwise if they are free books without cover art, I tend to always go for a search for a suitable picture that may enhance my imagination for the story.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Gah!
[rant]
I hate this nit picky industry.
Nya! Nya! Mr Publisher, You did not sign for publishing on green paper,or red electrons. Your contract is only for white paper. AND only in the USA
Grrrrrr.

Authors and artists should be paid for their work, but all this nit picking will 100% stop me from reading your work. (Note to artists: If you restrict your art, I stop buying EVERYTHING from YOUR authors to wake them up to the fact that they need a different artist)

A book sold is a book sold.
Be it Ink or be it Bits.
PERIOD

Even Audiobooks have cover art.

[/rant]
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #36
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I know I skip ebooks without covers. Only is it if I cannot find a covered version do I bother with the coverless one.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #37
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I like cover art on my ebooks. I also like the cover art on CDs and DVDs, a big reason why I like to buy CDs at the store rather than downloading them online.

Now that I have an iPad, I like my ebook cover art even more because I can look at them all at once on my "bookshelf". Unfortunately, I have a lot of empty and blank covers because I don't know how to add one when it is missing.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #38
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
Book covers are my memory hooks for books that I've previously read and I love the ipad for its ibookshelf
I usually go as far as to edit book covers if they don't match the paper versions I already own using Sigil (there goes that OCD again!).

Edit:Huge props to Valloric btw for creating Sigil
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote