Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Satviewer2000
Satviewer2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook 505
Sony 505 Cannot read EPUB?

I have the Sony PRS-505 (Canada) and it works fine if I purchase from Sony's online bookstore.

However, I recently created a text file, which I then edited using "Sigil 0.1.8" and saved it as an EPUB file. When I use Calibre to transfer this file to the PRS-505 as a LRF file, it will show up title and all, and I can read it although the formatting is a bit screwy.

However, if I try to transfer the file as an EPUB file and then try to read the book on the PRS-505 I get an error saying "Page Error" (inside a large triangle).

I thought the PRS-505 was able to directly read EPUB files? Since I can still purchase and read EPUB books from Sony's bookstore, I assume it's not because I lack authorization or something of that sort.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!
Satviewer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Sounds more likely that the problem is a bad ePub. When you open it up in ADE what does it say?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Satviewer2000
Satviewer2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eBook 505
Thanks for the reply. ADE opens the file without any problems, and appears to preserve all or most of the formatting of the EPUB file. Could the problem be with "Sigil", does it somehow create non-standard EPUB files that the Sony reader cannot access?
Satviewer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Is this a file you can post here? Also what happens if you run epubcheck on the file?

If you don't want to install epubcheck on your own, you can use Liz Daly's web based tool at http://www.threepress.org/document/epub-validate/
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
rbeltene
rbeltene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have purchased an ebook in epub format directly from the Sony/Borders store - the file works fine on the library software on my laptop (Win XP) but when I transfer it to my reader, it lists the file but when you try to open it, it shows 1 page and won't open it at all.

Any ideas?

I did try downloading the file a second time, but same issue.

Thanks
rbeltene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
rbeltene
rbeltene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fixed - turns out I had a multitude of issues, one of which was a very early copy of ADE. A reinstall of the library software (necessary for other issues and definately not a thing to do without backuping up your books!), new install of the latest version of ADE and all was working again.
rbeltene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Jop
Jop began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeltene View Post
I have purchased an ebook in epub format directly from the Sony/Borders store - the file works fine on the library software on my laptop (Win XP) but when I transfer it to my reader, it lists the file but when you try to open it, it shows 1 page and won't open it at all.
I am experiencing this same problem - However, I have the most recent version of ADE and Reader software. I tried contacting the online Sony help centre (BTW - is that an automated service? It sure seemed like it) who directed me to return my borrowed epub books (I have none, they're all purchased from Sony). Does anyone have any suggestions?

One sort of related problem (which nobody here will be able to fix) I'm somewhat computer stupid (as opposed to computer illiterate).

Thank you!

Last edited by Jop; 02-17-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Jop is offline   Reply With Quote