Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
bigpete47uk
bigpete47uk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Question What's going on? Charging problems.

Hi folks,
First post so please be gentle:-

Trying to charge PRS-600 for first time via USB,
Charging light comes on for approx 5 minutes then goes off and usb connected message appears on screen and charging stops.
No indication on screen showing that device is charging.
Didn't know what to do so found this site and from reading a few posts decided to try mains charging with PSP charger. Device appears to be charging although now I have a message that reads "Using the stylus tap the centre of the target" Guess what - no target on screen to tap. HELP
Her indoors is now giving me a hard time because I am not using her Xmas present.
Pete.
bigpete47uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Pete,

You ask two questions:

1. Charging - you need to charge using the USB port on a PC; it will not work with a USB mains adapter. The machine may very well have come almost fully charged, so don't worry if the charging light goes off after a few minutes. I would suggest, though, that the first time you use it without charging until you get the low battery warning - this will ensure that the battery gauge is properly calibrated.

2. Calibration. The calibration "target" is a cross on the screen. Tap the centre of it. It will first be displayed in the centre of the screen, and then in each of the four corners. You need to do this in order to calibrate the touch screen.

Hope that's of some help to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
bigpete47uk

Many thanks Harry you saved my sanity and maybe my marriage
Pete
Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome. Happy to help a fellow Mancunian .
Old 12-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Pete: I had many problems with a Sony PRS-505 early last year. On advice here (from Harry, as I recall), I got myself a mains charger. Never had a single hiccup of any kind since. Seems to me that charging via USB to the PC or laptop doesn't hack the job properly, and that no matter what the battery-charge icon on your reader might suggest, you're running on minimal power. I'm in France and got the charger online, so it wasn't as cheap as you'll find it in a local brick and mortar store in Manch. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
bigpete47uk

Angry OK Guys you're gonna have to save my marriage again

Having managed to charge my reader eventually using PSP mains charger I'm well and truly stuck. Couldn't install eBook library by following quick start instructions. Autoplay window only seemed to include my paintshop pro details (nothing to do with Installer for reader) Also couldn't start it manually, clicked Computer (I am running Vista) and didn't have the Installer for reader option. I think I must just be stupid or something because then by fiddling about I managed to format my reader. DON'T ASK !! I am now well and truly scuppered, am thinking about sticking to paperbacks...................
Guess I'm just not suited to new technology - I put it down to my age.
Pete.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Don't worry about it. Everything can be solved .

If the "Autoplay" isn't working for some reason, you can download and install the eBook Library software manually from here:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #8
bigpete47uk

Hello again,
Making progress, managed to load ebook library and succesfully purchase and download a book. Now, because of earlier problems, when I plug in my reader it is not recognised and no drivers are loaded. Can I get the drivers from elsewhere?
Pete.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It doesn't use any drivers - it just mounts as a standard USB "mass storage" device, just like a USB memory stick does. Are you saying that when you plug in the Reader, it doesn't appear as a drive (two drives, in fact) in Windows Explorer?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:35 AM   #10
bigpete47uk

Hi Harry,
Not sure what's going on, when first connected today I got an error message saying something like - device has malfunctioned or not been recognised. So I disconnected and reconnected and now nothing. When I first connected it on Xmas day it was recognised and showed on PC as ready for use but many uninformed clicks later I managed to format the reader and now the factory loaded content has gone along with, I'm guessing, whatever is required for use...............???
Old 12-28-2009, 04:44 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Plug it in and look at the Windows Device Manager. Are you seeing an error there? (a red cross against a device name)
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #12
bigpete47uk

I know I might sound a bit daft but if I just click on computer it does not appear as a drive but I did get the error message again when I reconnected it. Where do I find the device manager?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
bigpete47uk

Found the device manager, can't see any red crosses
Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK. First thing to try is turning off the Reader. Really turn it off - slide and hold the power switch until you get a message asking if you want to shut it down. Say "Yes" and then turn it on again.

Reboot your PC, then try to connect it again.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #15
bigpete47uk

Restarted PC with reader attached and lo and behold it was recognised and ready for use. Opened up library and attempted to transfer book to reader and now get warning message "unable to complete the operation because the destination can no longer be accessed" Also message on reader screen " Do not disconnect" so I am in limbo again. Sorry to be such a nuisance but this is getting me down now.