Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I'm not getting enough money - it's official!

Just finished the IQ/salary index test over at The Guardian and it's official guys: I am not getting enough money for what I'm worth! Do you think I could make this clear to my employer by sending him attached screenshot?

It's official. Your IQ is significantly more powerful than the average for your salary bracket. Demand a pay rise while you still have your faculties.

What's kinda interesting is that in the highest salary bands, IQ appears to drop again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moremoney.gif
Views:	475
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	798  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I can attest to that. The managers at Linuxcare when I was there were making $250k/USD and working 4 days a week, mostly coming in at 10am/11am, logging in, taking an hour lunch and leaving at 4pm, spending most of the time in meetings or on the phone.

Disgusting, when you consider we were making 2-3x less than them, had to pay for our own parking, and were putting in 12-20 hour days, and of course, mandatory weekends to meet crazy deadlines agreed to by these same managers.

But at least we could bulk shop at the local Costco to save money.

I now work for a company run by grown-ups, so this is no longer an issue.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
had to pay for our own parking
You actually had your own car? In Switzerland and Germany, most employees, unless from top management, take public transportation to work because they cannot afford the parking nor the high gas prices.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Public transportation in the US absolutely SUCKS.

The problem is that most places don't want trains or subways going through their towns, so they halt the work with city ordinances. So you end up taking a train through a few towns, hopping on a bus to go through another town, and then back on a train again (or a cab). Its really putrid.

There was a story that I read about how a town allowed a train station to be built in their town, and everyone started using public transportation... which is good. The town the realized that they were losing money because people weren't paying for city parking fees (parking meters) and a lot less cars were being towed, so they shut the train station down.

Excuse me, but WHAT THE HELL?! You build a train station to solve a transportation problem, and realize that you're not making enough anymore by towing cars, so you shut the station down? Sounds like a budgeting problem, not a transportation problem.

Sometimes I really want to shake the stupid right out of people.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
Please don't get me started. It took 2 hours (with one transfer) to get from Pac Hts to the Richmond Dist (about 5km) on Tues evening and not a cab seen in Pac Hts. And when the public transit came it did not resemble bananas, it bunched like grapes.

Last edited by Dick Tracy; 08-14-2005 at 09:58 PM. Reason: clarity
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
When I lived in San Francisco I got spoiled by the public transit. I didn't have a car for all 5 years I lived there. I move to Georgia and there are no buses, except to go to the malls. You have to drive to get to the train (note that I live 15 miles north of Atlanta). You just can not live in Georgia without having a car unless you never need to leave your house.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
My result:

Quote:
Wow. Your IQ is as far above the average for your salary level as the scale permits. What are you doing with your life?
Clearly I need a high paying job spotting patterns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
You actually had your own car? In Switzerland and Germany, most employees, unless from top management, take public transportation to work because they cannot afford the parking nor the high gas prices.
Same here - certainly for central London - plus we have the congestion charge. The yeti drives to work though as, bizarrely, the fuel costs work out cheaper than public transport
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
It's official. Your IQ is significantly more powerful than the average for your salary bracket. Demand a pay rise while you still have your faculties.
I don't think that makes sense - it's not your IQ that should determine your salary; it's what you actually produce.

Many people choose jobs for which they are over-qualified. Wittgenstein spent time as a gardener, but his superior intellect didn't make him more productive than other gardeners - so he'd have been wrong to use that as a basis for a raise.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My brother installs skylights in houses. His IQ is through the roof!
(Just a little joke. Feel free to chuckle politely then change the subject)

Cheers,
Your fellow zombie-thread reanimator
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
wonderful how we can breathe new life into the old threads ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I read once that people with higher IQs make less money, on average. Why? Less practical perhaps, or fewer "people-skills" and political savvy.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I can't play office politics for toffee, although I do observe and comment on it. I have some people skills, but not the right ones required to get me a raise or a higher paying job. They seem to be the right ones to let me get a fair deal of gossip, I just don't have teh requisite skills to do anything with it. Nor would I want to, to be honest. Practical? Yes, mostly. Although as this has been known to manifest itself by grabbing the nearest available person to get something done, whoever they are, it may not always be my most endearing quality (it seems some would-be high-ups think they're above some things... )
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Won't do the test at this time of night... Can hardly type, let alone answer questions

Quote:
Don't complain! The last time we went to Switzerland by car, we made sure we filled her up just before the border because it was so much cheaper!

Oh, forgot to mention, I'm glad the public transport system in Switzerland is so fantastic, I love going by train there
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mine showed that I'm making exactly what my IQ shows. I'm either dumb and poor or rich and smart, but either way, I'm sort of feeling insulted for some reason. ??
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
wonderful how we can breathe new life into the old threads ....
I know, it's stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Mine showed that I'm making exactly what my IQ shows. I'm either dumb and poor or rich and smart, but either way, I'm sort of feeling insulted for some reason. ??
I wanted to console you and tell you those IQ tests are bogus, but I just did it and it told me the same as Am:

Quote:
Wow. Your IQ is as far above the average for your salary level as the scale permits. What are you doing with your life?
So, I'm not about to say that is a lie! (Sorry, I just quit my job and am in the "I deserve better" phase)

You're rich and smart, be happy and live the life we all want!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote