Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
War of the Worlds in Plucker format

I caught an early preview of War of the Worlds last night in New York City at Loews in Times Square, and decided to kick of the weekend early for everyone else by making a custom conversion of the original H.G. Wells story to Plucker format for everyone to read.
An early science fiction novel, The War of the Worlds (1898), by H.G. Wells, describes the fictional turn of the twentieth century invasion of Earth by aliens, from Mars, who use laser/maser-like Heat-Rays, chemical weapons (the Black Smoke), and mechanical three-legged "fighting machines" that could potentially be viewed as precursors to the tank. After defeating the resistance the Martians devastate much of eastern England, including London, before being unexpectedly killed by terrestrial diseases, to which they have no immunity.

The book has been viewed as an indictment of European colonial actions in Africa, Asia, Australasia, and the Americas. Justification of the conquest of non-European peoples was usually along the lines of might-makes-right; i.e., the Europeans had vastly superior technology and so must be naturally superior people and so are perfectly justified in taking the lands for themselves. This argument gets flipped on its head with the arrival of comparatively technologically superior Martians who, according to the colonizers' own arguments, must therefore have every right to subjugate Europeans.

Wells seems to have taken great pleasure in the fictional devastation of locations where he had spent an unhappy childhood. The book has been adapted as a famous radio drama, as a movie, and as a bestselling concept album, all of which have played some part in maintaining the public's interest in the original novel.

The majority of the action takes place in the countryside of late 19th century southeast England. The narrator's hometown, Woking, is one of the many towns mentioned that lies on the outskirts of London. Other major action occurs near Southend, where the narrator's brother and his companions gain passage on a steamboat while fleeing to mainland Europe.
If you'd like your own shiny copy, feel free to vist the Plucker War of the Worlds page and download your very own.

If you find this useful, please consider donating to the Plucker project to keep quality works like this coming out.

Spiffy screenshots below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wotw_01.png
Views:	656
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	717   Click image for larger version

Name:	wotw_02.png
Views:	718
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	718   Click image for larger version

Name:	wotw_05.png
Views:	704
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	719  
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
I caught an early preview of War of the Worlds last night in New York City at Loews in Times Square...
Is there a Loews theatre? I lived on 50th street close by and dunno remember a Lowes theatre there... or was it the one in the Marriott Marquis hotel?

Anyways thanks for the e-book! How was the movie? After all the silly press around T. Cruise and his new girl I am not so fond of seeing War of the Worlds anymore.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Is there a Loews theatre? I lived on 50th street close by and dunno remember a Lowes theatre there... or was it the one in the Marriott Marquis hotel?
Yes, right across the street from Applebees on 42nd street. 247 W. 42nd to be exact. Its pretty impressive, the theatres are ENORMOUS inside. The one I was in seated 600. BIG.

Quote:
Anyways thanks for the e-book! How was the movie? After all the silly press around T. Cruise and his new girl I am not so fond of seeing War of the Worlds anymore.
I'm definitely NOT a Tom Cruise fan (mostly because every movie he's in, I always think "Hey, that's Tom Cruise playing <whomever>"). He's always so full of himself, he can't get out of being Tom Cruise and play the role he's been hired to play. Compare that to an actor like Sean Connery or Tom Hanks in recent years (Red October, Castaway, etc.) and you can see the difference.

But, I was actually there to help manage and launch an event (which I can't go into details about here). The movie was pretty good, as long as you ignore Tom Cruise in it. <grin>
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I remember listening to the audio recording taken from what was aired on the radio that scared everyone because they thought it was real. You see I was one of the few goofballs that actually spent time in the library listening rooms of various schools I've been in. That's as embarrassing as admiting that you were in the chess club or audio-visual or something! But back then we didn't have cds or mp3s...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thank you David I just downloaded your Plkr version. Any plans to support the iSilo format as well?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert