Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Topaz formatted books?
Who cares? If that is what Amazon has I buy it. 12 17.91%
Look around for non-topaz versions (fictionwise, BOB) but if not available, so be it. Topaz it is. 16 23.88%
Avoid altogether. Hello library or paperback version or just wait. 39 58.21%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Do you avoid Topaz formatted books or buy them anyway?

I got a sample of a book that is Topaz...OCR/scanned...readable but not clean...I would like to read the whole book but don't like that it is Topaz format. Apparently St. Martin's Press does this a lot. I checked fictionwise and BOB and even mobipocket.com and it looks like so far it is only available on the Kindle. I'm contemplating whether to buy it even though it is in Topaz format but don't like the thought that so far Topaz drm is not broken. Other options are to: a - wait; b - buy paperback; c - library. I'm thinking c - library is going to be the winner.

Just curious if others avoid Topaz or not.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I got a sample of a book that is Topaz...OCR/scanned...readable but not clean...I would like to read the whole book but don't like that it is Topaz format. Apparently St. Martin's Press does this a lot. I checked fictionwise and BOB and even mobipocket.com and it looks like so far it is only available on the Kindle. I'm contemplating whether to buy it even though it is in Topaz format but don't like the thought that so far Topaz drm is not broken. Other options are to: a - wait; b - buy paperback; c - library. I'm thinking c - library is going to be the winner.

Just curious if others avoid Topaz or not.
Avoid. My one adventure with Topaz from St. Martins Press caused my Kindle to freeze, so I'll use other options (including audiobook versions) for any books I really want.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I just came up with a way right now to tell if a book is topaz or not... get a sample first. Of about 20 books only 1 is topaz, and I hate it. I avoid it like the plague.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hmmm. I don't think I've run into one. What was the St Martin's book? I've been following the Dark Hunter saga, and don't recall anything that looked odd. [But I read most of them on Palm Pilot, and only the latest few on Kindle.] I'll wait to vote, till I see one.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Hate the things, wouldn't ever buy one. Aside from getting a sample chapter in order to determine the formatting, look (it's shown on-line, not via whispernet) at the size of the download. If it's in the 400-700KB range, it's not in Topaz formatting. If they don't give you the size of the download, but only tell you how many pages there are, be very suspicious. And if you do get one by mistake, send it back so Amazon will get the feedback.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Hmmm. I don't think I've run into one. What was the St Martin's book? I've been following the Dark Hunter saga, and don't recall anything that looked odd. [But I read most of them on Palm Pilot, and only the latest few on Kindle.] I'll wait to vote, till I see one.
It came from the Julia Spencer-Flemming freebies this past summer. Here is the thread about it. Starting at post number 8 you can see the complaints begin.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The St. Martin's one I just ran into was: To the Edge by Cindy Gerard. Another one I've run into was 'Scuse Me while I kill this guy by Leslie Langtry.

In both cases, on the web site, they give a page count but not a file size. This is when viewing the book info from a normal browser on a PC, not via the Kindle.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unless there's some problem, and like daffy4u they cause my Kindle to freeze or something, then I really don't care at all.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are advantages to the single font and consistent style of AZW ebooks on the Kindle. TOPAZ allows embedded fonts, but the font technology seems to be very crude and the problem with embedded fonts is that some publishers choose truly terrible fonts. See the enclosed screenshot for one example, note the general raggedness of the font and the very narrow descender on the y's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_topaz1.gif
Views:	783
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	17198  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've had a couple and they haven't been slow but I prefer having .azw/.mobi for the longevity. It won't completely keep me from buying a book but if Amazon starts moving more towards .tpz, I'll find myself shopping at Fictionwise a bit more often.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
If I know the book is in the .TPZ format I won't buy it, and I will return anything that is in the .TPZ format. The reason is because I can strip the DRM from .AMZ formatted books and I want the ability to take my books with me if I ever go to another reader like the upcoming Plastic Logic device.

I absolutely will not buy a .TPZ formatted book.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I won't buy a .tpz either. I halfway considered them for any books that I'd consider throw-away (no chance I'd want to read them a second time or on another device.) I downloaded some sample chapters and found that the pages tend to look awful - even if it's clean OCR, the fonts are often ugly and distracting and the spacing and margins are odd.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Now I see what people meant about the slowness. My previous topaz books have been fairly short. My current one is about 950 pages in print and turning pages is painful. It frequently takes several seconds. Sadly I couldn't find this book anywhere but Amazon.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I've had one Topaz book and one sample...that I am aware of. They didn't freeze but the font/spacing was a dead giveaway.

For me, the big advantage of the Kindle was the ease of reading and not having to adjust to different font sizes and style types (some which are harder to read than others). The Topaz format brings negates this benefit.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Yep, Topaz is just horrible, and I hate it. I just bought two books that I desperately wanted and that are only available on Kindle -- Phil Plait's "Bad Astronomy" and Neil deGrasse Tyson's "Death by Black Hole." Both turn out to be in Topaz format, and "Death by Black Hole" is in a particularly horrible font. I will now be returning both of them. Come on, Amazon! Knock it off with this Topaz crap! Or at the very least I hope the format is cracked soon so we can fix their stupidity and convert it to regular Mobipocket.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote