Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
cantaro
cantaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Smile Bypass registration with latest firmware

Yesterday I found that, after a very long time, Kobo has once again released new firmware for my ancient Kobo Touch (the original N905). So I upgraded, and—shockingly—the fake registration I had been using for years no longer worked, the device threw a 'Critical error' message.

All the usual tips for bypassing the registration no longer seem to work with the newest firmware (3.19.5761). But today I found a website in German (http://allesebook.de/anleitung/anlei...erwenden-67990) with instructions that do work!

To sum it up, after connecting the Kobo to my Linux system, I ran the following command to update the SQLite database:

Code:
sqlite3 /media/cu/KOBOeReader/.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite "INSERT INTO user(UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');"
After unmounting and disconnecting, the Kobo was fully usable.

If you have a working reader with progress saved and all, and want to avoid logging off the reader, surely the above instruction has to be modified to change the existing database row instead of adding a new one. I leave that as an exercise to someone else.
cantaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does the device still crash for you when going Settings -> Accounts?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
cantaro
cantaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Does the device still crash for you when going Settings -> Accounts?
No, it does not, although I read that it might if WiFi is enabled. I have it disabled because I rarely need it.
cantaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Thovthe
Thovthe began at the beginning.

Device: none
I could kiss you. Worked excellently on 4.4.9298
Thovthe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, registration