Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
jessematthew
jessematthew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
cannot register new (secondhand) kindle

While in China, my Kindle Keyboard broke. So I purchased a new one while there, and it came with Duokan already installed. Duokan's OK, but since it doesn't save my clippings in a file like Kindle does, I prefer the Kindle software. I can switch back to the original software, but I have 2 main problems:

1) I can't register my Kindle to my Amazon account. I have full Wi-Fi, but the Kindle tells me that I'm not connected, so I can't register. How can I register my Kindle so I can get my purchases sent directly to my Kindle through my @free.kindle.com e-mail? Is there a backdoor way view the serial number?

2) I can't create new collections on the Kindle software. I can't even click on it to try. I used Calibre to set up some collections, but then after I put the books into the collections, they now exist both in the collection and in the front page of my Kindle. What's the deal and how do I create collections another way?

Thanks.
jessematthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
If it came preloaded with Duokan its either second hand or not a genuine Amazon kindle (even if its using 100% identical hardware).

1) You can register a kindle offline by entering the serial number on the Amazon site. Your serial number is displayed in the device info section of the settings screen (find it from the home menu). *NEVER* disclose the whole serial number to anyone except Amazon as it could let someone else hack your kindle account. You'd still need an active WiFi connection (or 3G whispernet) to email books to your kindle, but at least you could transfer copy-protected books to it by USB.

2) Collections are only enabled on registered kindles that have synced with the Amazon servers - no connectivity ever == no collections.

If your Kindle cant be registered it may be blacklisted. If so you are S.O.L. Amazon wont help you and forum policy here prohibits discussion of any way of technically defeating the blacklist as blacklisted kindles are fairly likely to have been stolen at some point in their history + its actually illegal in many countries. Your only hope is if you have your faulty kindle and it has a good main board as then you can make a 'frankenKindle' with the good board which has its old serial number + everything else from the other Kindle.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why on earth did you title your post with your user name and not the actual question?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why on earth did you title your post with your user name and not the actual question?
Possibly because this is a new member who is unfamiliar with how forums work. Or he or she simply made a mistake.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Anyway, title fixed.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why on Eath Susan are You making such a Big deal out of it?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Because explanatory thread titles tell pople which threads to pay attention to. Not everyone reads every thread.

Considering this thread has been more about the title than the issue, I strongly recommend we all let the matter die. Now.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duokan, kindle collections, kindle keyboard, registration