Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Python Gutenberg E-text Project: PyGE

[from ePublishing Blog]

PyGE (Python Gutenberg E-text Project) is an exciting SourceForge project to make it easier to use Project Gutenberg books. It consists of three component desktop programs:
  • PyGETS (PyGE Transfer and Search): searches through Gutenberg archives and downloads selected texts
  • PyGEMZ (PyGE Make Ztxt): compiles texts into zTXT for reading on Palm devices and on:
  • PyGERS (PyGE Read and Speak): a desktop ebook viewer that can also read the books to you
Being python based, this software can run on Windows and Linux, but there is no Mac-native version as yet. This is pretty exciting stuff, since Project Gutenberg is a cornerstone of modern ebooks. I'm curious to see where this technology can go.

My only disappointment is that I cannot find any ebook readers for the PPC that support zTXT. Not that you need it. You can just use PyGETS and then either read the raw txt book, zip it up (µbook supports zipped files), or convert it to iSilo and read it that way.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Thanks for the link, ignatz. I am going to use this one!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
It appears to be a GUI and a fetcher on top of GUTINDEX.ALL (which has been deprecated now in favor of the RDF output) and Pyrite, written by Rob Tillotson (n9mtb).

Hopefully they can update it to handle the current format of the Gutenberg archives. It looks like an up-and-coming promising tool, for those using text-only readers like zTXT and TombRaider.

I wish they would set up some mailing lists on their SourceForge project page however, I have several fixes for the 0.6.1 version, and some features I've quickly added to the local code here to make it a bit more "flexible", and it would be useful to discuss it with other users and developers.

Its a new project, so hopefully they'll enrich their project tools to cover these deficiencies in the near future.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote