Old 04-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Accidental Damage Plan, worth it?

Quote:
BooksOnBoard Cybook Accidental Damage Plan

BooksOnBoard now offers an Accidental Damage Plan for all Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 eBook Reader Devices sold through BooksOnBoard

Cybook Accidental Damage Service and Repair Plan Now Available starting at $59.99

The BooksOnBoard Accidental Damage Plan offers peace of mind and additional protection to our customers by addressing situations that may not be covered by the Bookeen Standard Product Warranty for the Cybook Gen 3 eBook Reading Device.

BooksOnBoard Accidental Damage Plan:

* will be in effect for a period of two years from the date of shipment.
* will cover service and repair costs for accidental damage to the Cybook device.
* will cover shipping costs to return the device for repair to Bookeen France, back to BooksOnBoard and the shipping costs to return the device to the customer.
* a limit of one screen replacement is included with each Accidental Damage Plan purchased.
* $25 dollar deductible per incident, customer is responsible for shipping costs to return unit to BooksOnBoard.
* The BooksOnBoard Two Year Accidental Damage Plan is available to purchase for $59.99
* The BooksOnBoard Three Year Accidental Damage Plan is available to purchase for $99.99
Books on Board is now offering an optional Accidental Damage Plan, and I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth it. I can retro-actively buy the plan until midnight tonight, but I don't really feel like I need it. Has anyone else wished they had such a thing?
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
Books on Board is now offering an optional Accidental Damage Plan, and I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth it. I can retro-actively buy the plan until midnight tonight, but I don't really feel like I need it. Has anyone else wished they had such a thing?
Are you planning on mistreating your Cybook? If so, then please buy this plan. Otherwise, it's up to your taste. Me, I figure giving them the money up front for what *might* be an expense I could face in the future seems to be a rather stupid idea. But that's *my* feelings. You may sleep better having shelled out the money only to have never needed the service.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Short answer : Probably not.

Device value - 350 dollars (To you, not the resale value. I am assuming if someone took your device and gave you the money back you'd buy another)

In 2 years time...

Worn buttons that don't always work?
Some of the little charged electronic ink capsules aren't as active as they used to be, meaning less contrast?
Scrapes and damage around the edges?
The case you paid for now, that costs 50 dollars to replace is worn too.

Plus the device will have dropped in price - perhaps it's 200 dollars then?
There will be new devices.
There may even be a revision of the electronic ink screen itself. It may have more contrast.
New devices may do new stuff.

Device value in 2 years time - 100 dollars.

Cost of policy : 60
Excess on policy : 25
Postage costs : 15

Total cost if you have to make a claim 100 dollars.

Average value of product during insurance term : 450/2= 225 dollars.

There's severe limits on the policy as well. You're limited to 1 claim. That's actually not that bad. If you have to make that claim you won't regret the insurance, and it'll have served it's purpose.

The big limit I see is that it makes absolutely zero provision for faults. If the device is faulty outside of a year? You're out of luck.

What's unknown is the devices propensity to get broken. And your own propensity to break it.

There's a poll in the Iliad section of these forums about Iliad screens breaking - and the results are alarming. I was going to create the same poll here, but read your thread first.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
That poll is actually probably a good idea, since that's mainly what I'm wondering. I just got my Cybook, so I'm not sure at this point how likely it is to break.

Also, there's not a limit of one claim, there's a limit of one screen replacement. If I drop it and just break the casing or a button or something, that will be covered multiple times (as far as I can tell).

Anyways, my current feeling is that if it breaks more than a year from now, there's probably going to be something else I'd rather purchase anyways. If lots of people seem to be breaking theirs though, I may be swayed.
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What poll?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This un
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
My take on this is that for technology that changes rapidly (computers, e-ink readers, phones), this type of warranty is REALLY not worth it.

If the item in question broke, I'd just use the manufacturer's warranty (which is typically 1 year - can't recall what Bookeen is), and depending on the e-ink scene at that point in time, simply buy a new device.

The market for e-ink devices is moving fast, and with the exception of the Iliad, all e-ink devices currently on the market will very certainly be obsolete in 2 years, if not less.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For people who live in the UK, at least, damage to the Gen3 will very likely be covered by your home contents insurance policy. This can generally be extended, for a small extra payment, to cover damage outside the home.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For people who live in the UK, at least, damage to the Gen3 will very likely be covered by your home contents insurance policy. This can generally be extended, for a small extra payment, to cover damage outside the home.
I have a $1,000 deductible on my home owners insurance.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mine's only £50 ($100), so it's rather more practical . That's why I mentioned it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
Halk
Fanatic

On a slightly related note, I'm still waiting on a copy of my home insurance to come out to me - so I can find out if my Cybook is covered, and what the policy excess is...

I'm also looking at my mobile phone insurance, and I'm going to do some shopping around for that. While shopping around I've noticed that they also do ipod, laptop, and PDA insurance.

Has anyone in the UK attempted to insure their Cybook?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I think it's worth it... my sister basically dropped her Cybook down 3 flights of stairs in a hotel and they repaired (or replaced, I'm not sure which) it within 3 weeks. The manufacturer's warranty wouldn't have covered that. If you're fairly careful with your things (and not a giant klutz like me) I guess you should be ok, but that's a risk I don't want to take... I bought the BooksOnBoard warranty. Haven't had to use it yet, but I probably will before the 2 years are up.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
Haven't had to use it yet, but I probably will before the 2 years are up.
If they cover accidental damage, aren't they just begging for everyone to use it.

"Looks like my insurance is up in 3 months, and I really want a new reader... OPPPsss... dropped it down the stairs..."
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If they cover accidental damage, aren't they just begging for everyone to use it.

"Looks like my insurance is up in 3 months, and I really want a new reader... OPPPsss... dropped it down the stairs..."
I suspect that accidental damage plans make money for companies. If a lot of people did what you suggest they would not offer them to the consumer.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I suspect that accidental damage plans make money for companies. If a lot of people did what you suggest they would not offer them to the consumer.
Sometimes a shop earns more money on the insurance they sell when you buy a gadget then on the gadget itself. I never buy insurance since the standard guarante cover a lot and I do not have many accidents with gadgets. Even if you have one accident in ten gadgets you will loose money on insurance.

I bought insurance once for a video tape recorder but it was a bad experince since it broke all the time and it took months to fix it each time. If I had not had insurance I would have fixed it myself in a couple of hour but I did not want to void the insurance to do it anyway...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote