Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Has Apple Lost Its Cool To Samsung?

Article here:

Apple certainly did a great job to create the tablet market, but lately it seems to me they have fallen behind and now others, especially Samsung, are the innovators.

The Galaxy Note smart phone and tablets are fantastic tools that bring great handwriting recognition to note taking. And Samsung has tablets of many more sizes than Apple who finally made a 7" tablet after many other manufacturers proved the demand was there.

While they still make a great product, I think they are losing their place as the top innovator in their fields.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
X apple guy. Love my new note 2
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
In Thailand they call it iPhone fatigue:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle7900735/

Quote:
“IPhones are like Louis Vuitton handbags,” said marketing manager Narisara Konglua in Bangkok, who uses a Galaxy SIII. “It’s become so commonplace to see people with iPads and iPhones so you lose your cool edge having one.”

In the Indonesian capital Jakarta, an assistant manager at Coca Cola’s local venture, Gatot Hadipratomo, agrees. The iPhone “used to be a cool gadget, but now more and more people use it.”

There is another influence at play: Hip Korea. Korean pop music, movies and TV are hugely popular around the region and Samsung is riding that wave. And while the impact is more visible in Hong Kong and Singapore, it also translates directly to places like Thailand.

“Thais are not very brand-loyal,” says Akkaradert Bumrungmuang, 24, a student at Mahidol University in Bangkok. “That’s why whatever is hot or the in-thing to have is adopted quickly here. We follow Korea, so whatever is fashionable in Korea will be a big hit.”
Works for them, I guess.
(shrug)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
It doesn't help that their design and OS haven't changed much in several years.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
It doesn't help that their design and OS haven't changed much in several years.
Why change after you find perfection?
Jobs had a closet full of identical turtlenecks and jeans because he never saw a reason to change his look.
Android, like a good fashion victim, changes its look every six months.
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Why change after you find perfection?
Jobs had a closet full of identical turtlenecks and jeans because he never saw a reason to change his look.
Android, like a good fashion victim, changes its look every six months.
Because boring gets old.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Because boring gets old.
I guess that's why they call it iPhone fatigue.
(I *was* being snarky, you know...)

More seriously: If looks or scarcity is the prime consideration in picking a smartphone, there's always this one:
http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-ne...hone-5-on-sale

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
actually quite pretty

wouldn't leave it lying on my desk at work like i do my current phone though
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Still love my iStuff.

It doesn't help that the screen on every Samsung device I have ever owned has failed within two years. Phones and monitors.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Still love my iStuff.

It doesn't help that the screen on every Samsung device I have ever owned has failed within two years. Phones and monitors.
Funny, Samsung was (and still is, though on a smaller scale) a screen supplier for iphone/ipads; did those fail too?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Funny, Samsung was (and still is, though on a smaller scale) a screen supplier for iphone/ipads; did those fail too?
shhh.....

don't upset anyone with (inconvenient) facts
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
(inconvenient) facts
Well, I am sure you have heard of QA. So, you do understand that it is possible to make a crappy device out of solid components. And the other way around, a solid device out of a mishmash of defective and quality parts. Some manufacturers might let inferior quality parts, which would have been rejected by another manufacturer, into the production line. Some assembled products may be tested more exhaustively than others.

Because otherwise I might be thinking that what you were trying to say was that a mere (inconvenient) fact that Apple uses Samsung's parts in its products automatically means that Apple's quality is only as good as Samsung's. And there is a logical flaw there, right?

Didn't mean to get involved in these "Apple is doomed" discussions, as they are really getting pretty boring. Just wanted to point out this little inconsistency.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Well, I am sure you have heard of QA. So, you do understand that it is possible to make a crappy device out of solid components. And the other way around, a solid device out of a mishmash of defective and quality parts. Some manufacturers might let inferior quality parts, which would have been rejected by another manufacturer, into the production line. Some assembled products may be tested more exhaustively than others.

Because otherwise I might be thinking that what you were trying to say was that a mere (inconvenient) fact that Apple uses Samsung's parts in its products automatically means that Apple's quality is only as good as Samsung's. And there is a logical flaw there, right?

Didn't mean to get involved in these "Apple is doomed" discussions, as they are really getting pretty boring. Just wanted to point out this little inconsistency.

Not that this tangent is serious to begin with, but you did read where he stated specifically that his screens failed, right? Implying quite strongly that Samsung screens are inferior to those found on his "iStuff"?
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Not yet.

I am serious though. Three Samsung flip phones in 3 years had total screen failure, and a 17" monitor that got all fuzzy in twelve months. This wasn't recent. I bought the monitor in 2001, I think the phones were a couple of years later.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Not that this tangent is serious to begin with, but you did read where he stated specifically that his screens failed, right? Implying quite strongly that Samsung screens are inferior to those found on his "iStuff"?
I didn't mean the screens were inferior. I meant I hesitate to buy a Samsung product since I've had so many failures. Just my bad luck no doubt.

I've had plenty of Apple failures as well. Two optical drives. Several hard drives. No device is perfect, and hardware fails pretty regularly.