Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I think I ruined the screen of my Kindle

Well, today's not been the luckiest of days. My HD is not turning off, my loudspeakers died on me, and now my Kindle's screen seems to be ruined after less than a month.
I did two hard resets of the Kindle, and nothing.
All I did was (maybe) turn the pages a bit too fast, because I used both turn buttons for maybe 100 pages. I then gave up and looked for the page in the search engine and then turned some more pages.

Ever since, my Kindle has been flickering like crazy each time I turn a page. It did *not* do that before.
So, maybe I should have been more gentle, but maybe people turn pages fast when they're looking for a particular chapter.

What should I do? Something tells me the Kindle had a defect to begin with. I didn't drop it, it sits in a protective case all the time, and I didn't put anything heavy on it.
I've been babying it for a month.

Last edited by Beginner-reader; 01-27-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
When you say flickering, do you mean the screen is flashing black with every page turn? If that's the case, then perhaps your kindle is set to refresh the screen every page turn. See the beginning of this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152104

E-ink displays need to be refreshed at least every couple or few pages to prevent ghosting.

If not, describe the flickering in more detail. You might want to call Kindle customer service.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My kindle is set to "refresh every 7 pages" but since I read PDFs it refreshes on every page anyway. It used to flicker a bit with each page turn, but nothing problematic. Now, it goes off like a bad camera flash and words don't really disappear from the page. There's some very minor ghosting which I don't mind (it comes with the territory) but basically the flicker now looks like flashing lights and words blend in while flickering (they did not do that before). The light seems much more violent for some reason, like when one stares at something that's reflecting the sun.

EDIT: Apparently some people who have the same problem call it a double flicker. It's more like a triple flicker in my case...

Last edited by Beginner-reader; 01-26-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I've heard that the 'flicker' effect is much more noticeable when the kindle is doing background tasks such as indexing. I believe after a hard reset that all books will be re-indexed. Not sure about PDFs though.

Is this happening with every book/PDF? More complex books might exacerbate the problem.

If it is indeed re-indexing, perhaps the problem will diminish when it finishes.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd do a factory reset, then load up just one book and see if the problem persists.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You might also want to check your battery charge. Is your battery power getting low? Also how big is the size of the PDF that you are trying to view? Bigger books might give a problem I'd think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast

The problem hasn't disappeared, and it's there even when I try to open mobi books.
My battery was at 25% or so but not low. I did hard resets, a factory reset, and it didn't change anything. Actually, I think it's worse now.
Amazon called me this morning and they're sending me a new one. The CS wasn't able to repair it either despite trying to help me for over 15 minutes. I've never read 8 books in a month in my whole life, and this month I did, but now my Kindle's broken... Oh well. Hopefully the new one will be nicer to me. It should be here by Thursday and it'll be given a lot of love... if it works.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Kindle support to the rescue.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote