Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
Problems with a recycled iPhone

My daughter got an iPhone 4SG and gave me her old iPhone 3G.

In setting up the 3G I have a couple of problems. I hope it isn't too ancient to get help here

First and foremost - my contacts....

I have had a Nokia (from new) for years. It has (had?) my contacts on it. I put the SIM in the iPhone. There was options to restore or save to iCloud etc and set up new phone.

I chose to setup as new phone now I don't have any contacts

I will try in back in my Nokia to check if they are still there but I wondered if this is to be expected or is there a way to transfer my contacts (in the SIM card) to the iPhone?

Then I tried to use the same AppleID that I use in my iPad 3 and got funny errors about wrong password etc and was told to reset the password in iforgot.apple.com which I did but I couldn't get it to accept the iPad ID. It also wouldn't accept my Yahoo address as that was setup in the iPad as a mail address.

I had to use an old little used email address as an ID. It was suggested that I should be able to use the Ipad ID so I don't know if I can reset it etc???

Can someone give me some pointers or is there a link I can go to for help?

TIA
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You aren't going to like the iPhone 3G. It's just way too slow. I have one and will be upgrading it once the new iPhone comes out. I can't dump the 3G soon enough.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I expect so but I would like to get it working before I pass it on down my food chain

Still a few (?) weeks to the new iPhone
Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I expect so but I would like to get it working before I pass it on down my food chain

Still a few (?) weeks to the new iPhone
I'm hoping the new iPhone will be good. I wasn't all that impressed with the iPhone 4s.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have an iPhone 4S, so not sure we're running the same version of iOS. However, I think the following has always applied...

In the Settings app, there's an option for "Mail, Contacts, Calendars". If you go in there and scroll down to the "Contacts" section, just under it there may be an item for "Import SIM Contacts". Is this perhaps what you are after for the first issue?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
louwin
Newbie Nerd

I am on IOS 5.1.1 but I did as you suggested but my contacts still aren't there.

I was hopefull though as it looked like the answer.

I did it twice to be sure but the second time it went quickly but no contacts
Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I am on IOS 5.1.1 but I did as you suggested but my contacts still aren't there.

I was hopefull though as it looked like the answer.

I did it twice to be sure but the second time it went quickly but no contacts
Okay. Sorry that didn't work. I can't think of anything else other than checking the SIM on the Nokia, which you already mentioned.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Maybe the first thing to do would be to make sure the contacts *are* actually still on the sim. I'm running 5.1.1 on my 3GS and it works on mine. It ought to work on yours. I seem to recall way back when switching from a Nokia to iphone, I actually used some utility to import my SIM contacts to Contacts on my Mac, first. Any sync will always use whats on the mac and replace the ones on your iphone so best to do it that way. Importing from SIM came in much later OSes. Now, all I have to do is remember which particular utility. It might even have been "iSync", the Apple Sync utility. Have you looked at that yet?

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-11-2012 at 02:44 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
louwin
Newbie Nerd

I put the SIM back into the Nokia and the contacts are all still there.

Just to prove the point I cleaned them up, deleted a few.

Copied my contacts from the SIM to the phone so I will have a source should my only recourse be to copy everything

Re-imported the SIM Contacts in Settings on the iPhone.

Checked contacts - only the few I manually setup

Any ideas please?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

iOS 5.1.1 does not run on an iPhone 3G. So it is not possible for you to have that version iOS on your 3G.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Sorry to disagree with you but, see attachment....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	90566  
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I don't believe iSync has been around since Lion was released.
It hasnt. But there are ways and means of putting it back, and it even works in Mountain Lion
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry to disagree with you but, see attachment....
Are you sure its not a 3GS?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #15
immapestomaniac
immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPhone
Well, I might be contacting the Nokia / Apple tech support reps if I'm on your situation coz I'm lazy, haha. But really, if there's nothing you can do and you need your contact list urgently then that could be helpful.
Hope your problem gets resolved. Good luck!
immapestomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote