Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Manisphere
Manisphere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Buying ebooks in Canada

I have a question but I'm not sure I'm posting it in the right place so bear with me.

I have a Sony T-1 and I'm shopping around for epub books here in Canada. I've been dying to try Diesel books as they seem to charge the American price for ebooks. Compared with Kobo or the Sony.ca store this is too good to be true. Is it? Is there some tax slapped on the credit card after the fact because I'm buying from an American store within Canada? Cause the books are literally several dollars cheaper at Diesel.

Ever been Canadian and bought from Diesel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Manisphere; 08-03-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Manisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
I imagine your credit card company would charge you a conversion fee and convert your purchase from usd to cdn unless your credit card is in us funds already.
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Just ask the company?
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Manisphere

I did ask the company and from their end they don't add any additional fees. I just wondered if Canada does. If you're a Canadian who's ever received a package from the US you might know what I mean.

As for our dollar, we're kind of at par with the US. I wasn't worried about that. Just those odd surprise charges our government likes to tack on things bought straight from the US.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manisphere View Post
I did ask the company and from their end they don't add any additional fees. I just wondered if Canada does. If you're a Canadian who's ever received a package from the US you might know what I mean.

As for our dollar, we're kind of at par with the US. I wasn't worried about that. Just those odd surprise charges our government likes to tack on things bought straight from the US.
I've often bought from Diesel and booksonboard, no taxes charged for Canadians... Was a few months ago from Diesel so it could have changed (I doubt it though) and for sure BoB is still no tax (they are based in Texas).
So if the price is a little lower than our Canadian sources, and it often is, they are cheaper even with the exchange because no tax...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Manisphere

Awesome! Thank you so much!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you buy anything for USD with a CAD card there is a fee and exchange rate even if at par. Fee is usually 2-2.5% and exchange rate about 1% over current exchange rate. Slightly more than changing money at the bank.

Should be pretty trivial amount, ( 30-50 cents for a $10 book) but if concerned contact your credit card issuer.

You can get a USD visa, but would have to use it a lot to make up for the anual fee, plus still pay conversion rate.

Helen
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If you buy anything for USD with a CAD card there is a fee and exchange rate even if at par. Fee is usually 2-2.5% and exchange rate about 1% over current exchange rate. Slightly more than changing money at the bank.

Should be pretty trivial amount, ( 30-50 cents for a $10 book) but if concerned contact your credit card issuer.

You can get a USD visa, but would have to use it a lot to make up for the anual fee, plus still pay conversion rate.

Helen
My Capitol One card doesn't charge a fee, just the exchange rate. My TD visa Infinite card also charges only the exchange rate; that's for online transactions...certain products can get charged duty when shipped however ebooks only cost me the exchange which has been minimal for some time now.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 08-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
My Capitol One card doesn't charge a fee, just the exchange rate. My TD visa Infinite card also charges only the exchange rate; that's for online transactions...certain products can get charged duty when shipped however ebooks only cost me the exchange which has been minimal for some time now.
Wow you are getting quite a deal.

AFAIK Visa itself (and Mastercard) sets the fee (sometimes called premium)at 2.5% and it is lumped in with exchange rate on the statement and not on a seperate line by itself, making the exchange on a $10 item 35 cents instead of under 10 cents typically if the exchange rate is 1%.

So lucky you if your card issuers have managed to get around this. Mine, TD MC, CIBC Visa, Capital One Platinum MC, Presidents Choice MC, etc. haven't as yet, according to my statements when I check on the exchange rate on the day of a USD purchase. Oh well.

Helen
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Wow you are getting quite a deal.

AFAIK Visa itself (and Mastercard) sets the fee (sometimes called premium)at 2.5% and it is lumped in with exchange rate on the statement and not on a seperate line by itself, making the exchange on a $10 item 35 cents instead of under 10 cents typically if the exchange rate is 1%.

So lucky you if your card issuers have managed to get around this. Mine, TD MC, CIBC Visa, Capital One Platinum MC, Presidents Choice MC, etc. haven't as yet, according to my statements when I check on the exchange rate on the day of a USD purchase. Oh well.

Helen
I guess the $120/yr fee for the Infinite card should have some perks to lessen the pain... Capitol One doesn't charge either for their US or their Canadian customers, it's one of their "selling points". My TD does charge a fee for purchases physically made in the US however (just not the online ones).