Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I take it back, now I'm not 100% sure. Who is Ganxa? Are they really developing their own stuff or just re-branding? I see eREAD is one of their partners. Isn't eREAD just the manufactuer of all the devices based off the reference design? Companies like HanLin, Bookeen, and many Ganaxa just repackage and customize the reference design and eREAD implements and manufactuers them?

So many companies all using the same basic design. I'm so confused as to who is who.

Philips designed E-Ink which begat PVI for the screens and iRex as a device developer. Where exactly did eREAD come from? Are they a subsidiary or PVI who helps with the OEM customization and contracts manufacturing of the devices based off the PVI reference design? Did they actually develop the reference design for PVI?
According to their info, they support 0 DRM based formats. So for the average person, it's almost useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #47
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Bookeen just put a new video up on their blog. http://bookeen.blogspot.com

This brings up a question I have. The E-Ink panel supports 16-levels of greyscale does it not? Is the only thing limiting things to 4 greyscales the relatively weak hardware and they desire to have faster page turns versus overall color depth?

Bookeen already seems to have a bunch of neat configuration options, such as turning off Global Refresh for those who would rather have ghosting than flickering. Also, the status bar along the bottom is an option that can be toggled.

Can 16 greyscales also be an option? Personally, I'm not into graphic novels at all. But for those who are, could they choose a significant drop in performance in order to gain better clarity? Is there some other hardware limitation preventing 16 levels of greyscale?
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Bookeen just put a new video up on their blog. http://bookeen.blogspot.com

This brings up a question I have. The E-Ink panel supports 16-levels of greyscale does it not? Is the only thing limiting things to 4 greyscales the relatively weak hardware and they desire to have faster page turns versus overall color depth?
My understanding is that the screen supports 16 grey scales, but that the screen controller Bookeen are currently using only supports 4 grey scales. The only 16 grey scale device I'm aware of that's currently on the market is the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I was to buy a Cybook Gen3, I'd wait until it supported 16 shades.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What makes you think that it ever will?

For reading books, I think it's pretty irrevelent, to be honest. Text is just as clear on my 4 grey-scale Sony Reader as on my 16 grey-scale iLiad.

It doesn't even make that much different for displaying pictures, to tell you the truth; the dithering algorithm used by the Reader pretty much makes up for the extra "real" grey scales of the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What makes you think that it ever will?

For reading books, I think it's pretty irrevelent, to be honest. Text is just as clear on my 4 grey-scale Sony Reader as on my 16 grey-scale iLiad.

It doesn't even make that much different for displaying pictures, to tell you the truth; the dithering algorithm used by the Reader pretty much makes up for the extra "real" grey scales of the iLiad.
I think it will go 16 shades once the controller hardware is available to do so. It makes no sense not to. Those that read comics/manga will want it for sure.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #52
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Ganaxa get their ebook readers just like Bookeen, from PVI.

By the way, I don't like the glossy-black of the gen3, don't you prefere this one ?

Last edited by guguy; 09-28-2007 at 01:09 PM.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #53
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
cannot stop thinking about eric cartman pronouncing its name
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #54
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My understanding is that the screen supports 16 grey scales, but that the screen controller Bookeen are currently using only supports 4 grey scales. The only 16 grey scale device I'm aware of that's currently on the market is the iLiad.
HarryT,

I don't know if the Vizplex screen *supports* 16 levels of gray, but the test HTML page someone posted elsewhere showing a series of grayscale bars and different font options *DOES* 'appear' to show those same 16 levels on my Bookeen. Remember it is version 0.91 of the firmware and I *think* I read somewhere that the software has a 'smart-dither' so I may be seeing four levels of gray 'dithered' to give the appearance of 16. Unfortunately, the gray bars are reduced in size so that on my Cybook, it's about 1" wide - hard to tell at that size whether the grays are dithered or native.

Also, the grayscale background for the various text running across the top and right side insist upon showing up clear with standard black text.

*HOWEVER*, the Italics/Emphasis, Underline, Subscript and Superscript work great - Blinking doesn't, nor does Strikeout or the variations in font for 'Quote', 'Citation' and so forth. That's because, while you can choose any of seven font families, the Cybook converts *ALL* text to the chosen font - and to the selected font size!!! It does support Bolding, Italicizing and Underlining on a letter-by-letter basis rather than just for an entire paragraph or book.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #55
tebaldo
Connoisseur
tebaldo doesn't littertebaldo doesn't litter

Device: Ganaxa GeR2, StareRead, Sony PRS505, Librié
Industrial process

To answer some questions (MikeF74) on the relationships between Ganaxa, PVI, Nuut, eREAD Holding Co. and others, I posted on einksource.blogspot.com an article describing the industriel complex process. Vizplex ereader GeR2 shown on the video is ODMed by Ganaxa and based on PVI components.

Last edited by tebaldo; 09-29-2007 at 03:59 AM.
tebaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #56
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
I think the delay comes from Bookeen and not PVI since "les echos" is already selling
a vizplex reader with the same hardware and the same design (except it's white).
See : http://www.ganaxa.com
http://www.lesechos.fr/epaper/inscription.htm

You can even compare the speed of the Bookeen GEN3 / Ganaxa GER2 with the old gen of eink :
http://papierelectronique.blogspot.com/
I like this one. Mainly because I want my next reader to be white. So can you tell me if they are selling this one to customers outside of France. I am in the US. I don't know French, but I could make out very little of the stuff. Also how is this, do you know? Thanks for the links.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #57
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I like this one. Mainly because I want my next reader to be white. So can you tell me if they are selling this one to customers outside of France. I am in the US. I don't know French, but I could make out very little of the stuff. Also how is this, do you know? Thanks for the links.

Ellen
Here's the answer:

Quote:
Ganaxa’s e-paper technologies and display or consultation devices are selected or developed exclusively for specific editorial projects. They cannot be acquired separately.
A subscription to "Les Echos" is the only way you can get this device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #58
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Maybe if you are able to order 10 units it's possible...

Still, remember it's not sure there is support for mobipocket, but maybe you'll
be able to use the firmware of the gen3 with it.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #59
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Maybe if you are able to order 10 units it's possible...

Still, remember it's not sure there is support for mobipocket, but maybe you'll
be able to use the firmware of the gen3 with it.
They're selling Mobipocket books on their website: http://librairie.lesechos.fr/

I guess that these works for both the iLiad and their own reader.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

From their website, Ganaxa does not have support for any DRM format.