Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Dictionary purchase

I was just wondering if buying a dictionary will add it to the dictionary lookup functionality of the Kobo Touch. The one it comes with is okay, but I really like having etymology handy.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have never seen any mention of being able to replace or add new dictionaries on any Kobo model. I think if you could, Kobo would be trumpeting this feature.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I don't understand this whole dictionary thing and why people are so into it.... After reading for years and years aren't you able to decipher what words mean without having to look them up?
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
I'm with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
I don't understand this whole dictionary thing and why people are so into it.... After reading for years and years aren't you able to decipher what words mean without having to look them up?
I guess it depends a bit on what you read. I am mostly into novels and I never in 40 years of reading paper books felt the need to go look a word up. If I read technical content perhaps I would utilize this feature more but for a novel it is not a feature that is critical for me.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
I guess it depends a bit on what you read. I am mostly into novels and I never in 40 years of reading paper books felt the need to go look a word up. If I read technical content perhaps I would utilize this feature more but for a novel it is not a feature that is critical for me.
Same here, even worst for me is that I read mostly English book, which is not even my native language.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
It's also a fallacy that you can figure the rarer words out from context. For example, many people who claim to be able to guess the difference in usage of comprise vs compose get it wrong, which is why it often gets an entry in grammar reference books.

This also means working under an assumption that the author either knows full well what the word means or didn't decide to use a word differently from normal out of a sense of poetic license or prosody (which may or may not mean the same thing depending on what the author decides to play with). Even with editors and professional writers, there could also be mistakes. Everyone is human.

A word could also have multiple meanings and maybe you know or can guess one definition of the word but not the other, making it so you miss the pun (for me, finding these things helps reinforce that authors really care about their writing, and I'm getting my money's worth). I also get a kick out of sometimes knowing how to use a word in its most precise sense. It's like having a really sharp knife versus one that's honed by guess work.

I'm not saying I look up every unfamiliar word I see. I'm probably as lazy as the next person. It is, however, something I enjoy doing.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote