Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
ftrooper93
Edge User

new Pocket eDGe battery will not charge

Just got a pocket eDGe in hand, ordered via Woot!. Plugged it in for 2 hours to charge fully before turning it on.

Upon turn on and registration, the device will not hold a charge at all. If its plugged into the wall via AC adapter its usable. However, if I unplug it, it shuts down almost instantly. The indicator in the upper right seesm to indicate there is NO battery present. it indicates that its charging, but at 0%.

Is this an error? Is there a way to resent the battery so that the device will charge it?

I called entourage, and the tech support was underwhelming and disappointing. The only offered solution was to "take it back and get a new one". No offer to fix, no solutions, not even an attemtp to fix or reset or anything. Just "take it back".

I contacted Woot! but have not heard back yet.

I was very excited to get this, I've enjoyed my kindle and my droid 2 phone. So I'd really like to use this device but can't.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

If you paid with a credit card and Woot will not exchange dispute the purchase. At least you will have your cash back.

Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Filark
Edge User

That's terrible, ftrooper! Something definitely is not right.

I wish I had a "just jiggle it" solution, but I don't. Maybe someone else has had this problem and can help. If it works, I think you'll like it! Page numbers and a percentage slider!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
rvcullen
Edge User

If you are tech savvy, you can remove the 4 rubber feet on the back of the LCD (tablet side), unscrew the 4 screws and pop the cover off. The battery inside has a small connector on it which may have just come unplugged during shipping. Of course, you would have to be careful with the unit if you still need to return it. It does not have any warranty sticker to worry about, mostly just being careful not to scratch stuff.
I have another post with some pictures of the inside to help a little.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
mdac
Edge User

ftrooper93: I have the same issue. I've had mine plugged in for at least two hours now and the battery doesn't seem to be charging. Also shuts down almost as soon as I unplug. I'll be checking this thread for updates.

Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
Filark
Edge User

mdac, does yours run while plugged in? Several people in the past have plugged their charger into the headphone jack. They are close enough in size, shape, and location that it happens! So if yours is not charging and doesn't run -- oh, never mind. I bet you're doing it right!

Another thing that has thrown people in the past is that the Screen Timeout is set very short at first. You can check this by pushing the Menu button, then tapping Settings, then Sound & display, then Screen timeout. The options range from 15 seconds to 5 minutes.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
mdac
Edge User

Hi Filark,

Yes, it runs while plugged in. When plugged in near the "spine" of the PE, the little green light blinks. I can use the PE while it's plugged in, but when I pull the plug out the light stops blinking and the PE turns off in less than 10 seconds. I confirm that it's actually off by clicking the menu button and there's no response.

I'll keep it plugged in overnight and see if anything happens. Thanks for checking in, Filark!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Filark
Edge User

You are most welcome! Just wish I had something useful to suggest. I think rvcullen is on the right track, if you don't mind starting your new relationship with your PE by taking it apart! (eek!)

Here's the post with pictures: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...light=rvcullen.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
mdac
Edge User

Well, I have a fully charged battery!

I left it charging all night and found it this morning with a filled up little green battery! I hope it works for you, ftrooper93. I'm glad I didn't have to resort to opening it, but thanks for the info, Filark and rvcullen!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Filark
Edge User

Woohoo!!

<Does a happy dance that no-one can see>

ftrooper, any luck??

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
B1gDr3w
Edge User

I also have the battery issue. Was all excited to have this new toy to show off, and now I can't move more than 3 feet from the wall and keep it on. The charging light is blinking just like mdac, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it resolves itself overnight.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrooper93 View Post
Just got a pocket eDGe in hand, ordered via Woot!. Plugged it in for 2 hours to charge fully before turning it on.

Upon turn on and registration, the device will not hold a charge at all. If its plugged into the wall via AC adapter its usable. However, if I unplug it, it shuts down almost instantly. The indicator in the upper right seesm to indicate there is NO battery present. it indicates that its charging, but at 0%.

Is this an error? Is there a way to resent the battery so that the device will charge it?

I called entourage, and the tech support was underwhelming and disappointing. The only offered solution was to "take it back and get a new one". No offer to fix, no solutions, not even an attemtp to fix or reset or anything. Just "take it back".

I contacted Woot! but have not heard back yet.

I was very excited to get this, I've enjoyed my kindle and my droid 2 phone. So I'd really like to use this device but can't.

Plug it in over night like Filark and rvcullen suggested. I bought two PEs less than a month ago and both of them were fully charged in about 5 hours. If you have a multimeter or know someone who has a multimeter you can also check the voltage coming out of the charger. It may be just enough to run the PE but not enough to charge the battery. You can hold or clip the ground (black) lead to the outer part of the plug and put a paper clip inside the tip and hold or clip the positive (red) lead to the paper clip and have someone plug it in real quick while you check it. A good charger should indicate between 13 and 13.5 volts DC. Mine read 13.38 volts DC.

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-11-2011 at 09:40 PM.