Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your level of fitness?
I work out almost eveyrday and consider myself "in-shape." 15 18.07%
I work out a few times a week. 28 33.73%
I don't work out but feel pretty "in-shape" 10 12.05%
Working out? Surely you jest. 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #31
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I used to be an obsessive jogger, I ran almost every day for 45 minutes up to an hour and a half. But than I graduated, got a job, moved out of my parents house and I stopped running because I didn't have enough time to run on a daily basis. I would start running again for a couple of weeks, but then stop once again. But now I'm back on track

I'm currently doing a start to run program, 5 km to 10 km in 9 weeks. I like that it gives me a goal: in ... weeks time you'll be able to run 10 km. I run 3 days in a row and then take a day off. I'm hoping to get into shape fast enough to be able to run the Antwerp 10 miles in April. I would say I'm in good shape right now. Not great, but good.

Tried Insanity a while ago, and I actually liked it. At one point I did almost throw up, but it really is very intense. Made it to the fourth week but then stopped. I don't know why. Maybe I'll give it another go in the summer.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
378 Views and 36 votes... Shy people out there it seems...
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #33
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you don't have my answer; "work out to my limits and do not feel in shape"
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #34
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I regularly check in this thread to see what other people are capable of, in order to keep healthy. Could be instructive for me.

Edit: no, I try to keep fit by cycling one hour a day. I tried sportschool, but that's not for me, though I like working with weights..which seems to be very good for one's figure. I busted my knees and hips with running, and I really loved the freedom of running miles and miles.

Last edited by desertblues; 01-25-2011 at 05:41 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #35
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Meh @ exercising with a partner. I love exercising with DH, but lately I've been thinking that we need to do separate workouts. We tend to either walk together or do weights together. When we walk it's a couple of miles per day, a few days per week, and when we work out together it's about every other day. Walking is fine, we can do the same distance at the same rate at the same time. The problem with weight training with DH is that I get frustrated. Not only can he lift a lot more than me, he can do more reps than I can. He's all, "Well, your body isn't built the way mine is, you just can't do the same things I can do." He's convinced that no matter how I train I'll never be "stronger" than him unless I take steroids, which obviously I'm not ever going to do, but I think he was just trying to make a point and he's all matter of fact about it and not mocking at all; men are just "stronger." Maybe I need a female PT; that might be my next step because I spend way too much workout time pissed that I can't do what he can do. Yeah, I'm unrealistic but it's still frustrating.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #36
Killing Floor
Newbie E-Reader
Killing Floor is on a distinguished road

Device: Velocity Cruz ((r101)
I used to be a real fitness nut for over 35 years. Gym, martial arts, boxing. Having kids started the slowdown in my workout program. Then a divorce pretty much brought things to an almost total halt. Just as I was getting back to the gym, I needed rotator cuff surgery last May, and I'm still not fully rehabilitated. What bothers me most is my cardio, and lack of flexibility. I'm in my early 50's, but still look 15 years younger. I'm still slim, and haven't gained any weight. But I feel like hell. I'm going to slowly work myself back into shape. I was thinking of joining a yoga class to start.
Killing Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
He's all, "Well, your body isn't built the way mine is, you just can't do the same things I can do." He's convinced that no matter how I train I'll never be "stronger" than him unless I take steroids, which obviously I'm not ever going to do, but I think he was just trying to make a point and he's all matter of fact about it and not mocking at all; men are just "stronger."
That's is life.
Should he be driven nuts because even without any additional training your flexibility is a lot better than his? or your orgasm is a lot stronger? or you can have them in far greater numbers than him?
Think about it and show some mercy to the poor chap
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #38
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I voted "Working out? Surely you jest". I'm 5'2" and on average between 95-100lbs. I don't excercise regularly but I do like going for walks occasionally. I have arthritis and WPW (Wolf Parkinsons White Syndrome) which makes my heart pound out of my chest sometimes. I haven't taken the best care of myself but would like to start. My husband has diabetes so I've been learning to cook better, but still can't manage to eat much throughout the day (today I've had half a bowl of cheerios and half of a grilled-chicken wrap, and I just had a fudge bar which was only 100 calories, it's 4:11pm).

I'd love to gain 20lbs.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #39
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Is lifting my eBook exercise? Yeah it is. Otherwise I walk as I don't have a car (unless i can pinch MOTH's). I consider exercise a reduction in my reading time (can't have that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
That's why my StairMaster has a reading rack, silly!
I was going to say the same thing SolRaven. I use our treadmill (not as often as I like) but I can walk on it and crank up the font size and read while I walk. I have to walk since my knees are shot (thanks Marine Corps), but I dont think I could read if I were jogging

On a completely different note:
Katti's Cat, it is so awesome to see you posting again and taking part in the threads!! I'm (and I'm sure everyone else) so happy to see you back!!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #40
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I was never going to cover the full range of how people feel. mea culpa.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #41
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Ah... my dear, that's because you are probably already in great shape, internally. For your body to start changing externally, you'll have to workout harder than you ever have, but... I know you already know that.

It's like needing to lose 5lbs and needing to lose 105. The 5lb person may take a year to lose those 5 and the 105 person loses 85 in that same year.

I remember years ago, I stopped working out due to some crap going on in my life, and I remember going up the stairs, and my legs were in so much pain from not working out. They weren't fatiqued, it's as if they were pissed at me, then after a while, they gave up being pissed at me and stopped hurting. Of course, I also lost some muscle.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #42
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
The problem with weight training with DH is that I get frustrated. Not only can he lift a lot more than me, he can do more reps than I can. ...

...Yeah, I'm unrealistic but it's still frustrating.
My brother got me over that when we were kids. At the breakfast table, my father would regularly check our strength to see if we're eating enough so that we can grow bigger and stronger. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how my brother was getting so much stronger, plus he could eat so much more. I just couldn't take another bite, and he could munch away.

Of course, looking back, I'm sure it was my dad's sneaky way of getting us to finish the food on our plate, or at least, to eat enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I was going to say the same thing SolRaven. I use our treadmill (not as often as I like) but I can walk on it and crank up the font size and read while I walk. I have to walk since my knees are shot (thanks Marine Corps), but I dont think I could read if I were jogging
The StairMonster is great for that because you don't have any bounce like you would on a lot of cardio equipment. For the most part it's just your legs moving up and down, so controlling your head bob easily managed.

Lately I've been watching movies via bluetooth. I go through phases of reading, movies, music, reading, movies, music, etc.

Last edited by SolRaven; 01-25-2011 at 07:51 PM.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #43
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I was sedentary for nearly all of the past 25 years but last April began using my elliptical trainer. I now usually "run" 1 to 3 hours at a time 3 to 5 days a week. I like pushing it hard and would really like to try for a 5 or 6 hour marathon but am just too busy to destroy a whole weekend just to accomplish that. Hopefully, I'll lose another 10 pounds over the next couple of months and I can back off on the cardio and add some strength and flexibility exercises which I have never ever done and badly need.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #44
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Ah... my dear, that's because you are probably already in great shape, internally. For your body to start changing externally, you'll have to workout harder than you ever have, but... I know you already know that.

It's like needing to lose 5lbs and needing to lose 105. The 5lb person may take a year to lose those 5 and the 105 person loses 85 in that same year.

I remember years ago, I stopped working out due to some crap going on in my life, and I remember going up the stairs, and my legs were in so much pain from not working out. They weren't fatiqued, it's as if they were pissed at me, then after a while, they gave up being pissed at me and stopped hurting. Of course, I also lost some muscle.
unfortunately I am still walking around with an un-healing fractured femur as well as recovering from the knee surgery. a gentle walk through the puppy park puts me in the position where I need to come home and slam a vicodin with a chardonnay chaser. fortunately I DO have good core strength, having spent my adult life in a very physical job installing telecommunications equipment, which meant typically about 5 miles a day of just walking for the job, carrying a 25-50 pound tool belt. that's not counting the pole climbing, ladder, climbing etc. I used to look at friends who wanted me to go to the gym with them and say; "you have GOT to be F*cking kidding me!" and of course, I was always skiing, hiking and the like. the picture in my avatar is Basic Training weight plus about 15 pounds, I am up an additional 35 now, and just worried with the injuries I won't be able to knock them off. probably the best exercise for me at this time would be swimming which is simply not convenient location wise at the moment. the only place that has open adult swim would be at 5 a.m. and is about 15 miles from here. if I can ever get my lack of sleep under control, perhaps I can work on it.

yeah... frustration reigns
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #45
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Walking my dog didn't give me enough exercise--he's a real slowpoke--so I got a video and started with a kettle bell. It's the only weight training I've ever enjoyed. I started with a lower weight because I didn't know how it would affect my arthritis (I'm a card-carrying old guy). I want to work up to a pood (12 KG or about 36 pounds) when I can afford another kettle bell.

I am not in good shape.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote