Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
IsLNdbOi
IsLNdbOi began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Kindle for Android on the Nook?

Once Amazon releases their Kindle app. for the Android OS, will we be able to use that on the Nook?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
what exactly would be the purpose, if you don't mind me asking?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
IsLNdbOi
IsLNdbOi began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Read Kindle ebooks on the Nook "natively"? Or would Kindle on the Nook not be able to access the Nook's epaper screen?

I don't have a Nook so I don't know how the Android apps. on it work.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
Big one is if there's a difference in pricing for the ebook stores. I know that the B&N book store still has some horrible price differences compared to the kindle store. They're not many but they do exist so it opens up nook owners to a choice we didn't have before.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
Big one is if there's a difference in pricing for the ebook stores. I know that the B&N book store still has some horrible price differences compared to the kindle store. They're not many but they do exist so it opens up nook owners to a choice we didn't have before.

do you have any examples of the horrible price difference between BN and Amazon. That was maybe true about 10 months ago but today I don't see it.

I spent over a half an hour choosing books and found that almost all of them had the same price and each one might have beat the other in price on a few different occasions but even then the difference was rather minimal.

The huge price advantage Amazon once had is basically gone.

here is an example of the NY Times bestseller lists on both, they are identicle in price

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks...linkid=1570676

http://www.amazon.com/National-Bests...d_i=1286228011

Last edited by boswd; 06-28-2010 at 03:09 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
If that is the case and all books on Amazon are available on B&N than there's really no point. I personally like epub better and my entire collection is in that format.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
do you have any examples of the horrible price difference between BN and Amazon. That was maybe true about 10 months ago but today I don't see it.
Here's is an example of a big price difference on a book I recently purchased. In this case BN has it for $9.99 and Amazon for $14.55:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...=9780393077117

http://www.amazon.com/How-Pleasure-W...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
FYI, Kindle for Android is out now in the Android Marketplace now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88702
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
If Kindle for Android works well on the Nook then Geographic restrictions migh be fewer. If B&N won't sell it to me when I am in Mexico during winter, perhaps Amazon will.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Once Amazon releases their Kindle app. for the Android OS, will we be able to use that on the Nook?
I can't say that I've tried it, but the major hurdles would be the application not using the e-ink display (already mentioned) and that it requires Android 1.6 to run (I believe the nook is still at 1.5).

I wouldn't look for it anytime soon, especially with motivation to hack it in being so low.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
Here's is an example of a big price difference on a book I recently purchased. In this case BN has it for $9.99 and Amazon for $14.55:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...=9780393077117

http://www.amazon.com/How-Pleasure-W...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
Hi, bearymore, this book looks interesting, do you know which file format is that one from B&N, is it epub?
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #12
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I imagine the nook and the application would need some hacks in order to get it working in a decent fashion. But if you're willing to go through all that trouble, why wouldn't you just download Kindle for PC, strip the DRM from purchased books, and then convert to ePub? This has proven to be a very simple solution for me in the past.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
zsmomma
zsmomma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, Pandigital Novel, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
what exactly would be the purpose, if you don't mind me asking?
I'll respond as to why I'd like to have this feature.

I have a bunch of Kindle books on Kindle on PC (w/o an ereader yet). I was all set to purchase a Kindle, but with the EPub support, Nook is looking like the winner. If there's a way for me to read both types, I'd be a happy camper.

Then again, maybe Kindle will come out w/ EPub support...
zsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsmomma View Post
I'll respond as to why I'd like to have this feature.

I have a bunch of Kindle books on Kindle on PC (w/o an ereader yet). I was all set to purchase a Kindle, but with the EPub support, Nook is looking like the winner. If there's a way for me to read both types, I'd be a happy camper.

Then again, maybe Kindle will come out w/ EPub support...
This is the only reason I'd like some sort of app, as well. I was using the Kindle iPhone app, and bought two books on it when I thought I was going to get a Kindle. Then I discovered the Nook . I would really prefer to read them on my Nook (I've read one, am halfway through the second). It's too tough on my eyes to read on the iPhone for very long.
Spatulachic is offline   Reply With Quote