Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
Given that you can jump directly to any author in the list, I honestly don't see what benefit that would bring. If I want to look at my Agatha Christie books I can go straight there. What would be the benefit of a folder?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Compression of the home pages. I turned each author into a collection. When I'm browsing for something to read instead of 100 plus pages of books I have 11 pages of authors. When I see an author that appeals at the moment I can open the collection and pick one of his books. The thought of paging through 100 pages every time I want to choose a book does not appeal. Click, click, click, Gah!
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6
We all have different preferences of course, but currently I see I have 1876 books on my Voyage, and I don't experience the slightest difficulty or inconvenience in finding the one I wish to read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do you KNOW the one you want to read before you see it? Mostly I don't.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Do you KNOW the one you want to read before you see it? Mostly I don't.
Nor I. I'm most likely to think, "I'm in the mood for a book about Ireland." Or, the Great War. Or, a classic. Or, colonial America. Or, humor. Or.... Then I go to that shelf on my reader and see what's there. Having the books on my reader categorized by subject/type is highly useful to me.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; SonyPRS65; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8; Kobo H2O; Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's perhaps worth noting that if, as many people do, your use for collections is to arrange books in series, this can be entirely satisfactorily done without the use of collections by appending the series name and number to the book's title using a Calibre metadata plugboard. This can be done on any device.
I used to do that. I had a huge (literaly) problem with that though:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 01 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 02 - The Restaurant at the end of the universe
etc.

Those titles became way too long. So long that I could barely see the name of the book.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
I use a plugboard that uses a short form of the series name; THGttG - 02 - The Restaurant at the end of the universe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: AVTN8; SonyPRS65; Onyx Boox T68; SGN8; Kobo H2O; Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I use a plugboard that uses a short form of the series name; THGttG - 02 - The Restaurant at the end of the universe
Yes, that's what I did too, but it required another column in my library which I had to keep up to date too. Because automatically generating one based on spaces wasn't going to work.
"Rama - 01 - Rendevous with Rama" would become "R - 01 - Rendevous with Rama" and be in the same series as "R - 01 - Ringworld".

This was actually one reason I didn't want a Kindle.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #24
Pajamaman
Guru
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Onyx T68, Boyue T62
As I understand it, Amazon limits the ability to organize books on the device. They prefer users to do book organizing at their server-end.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone 6, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
As I understand it, Amazon limits the ability to organize books on the device.
The basic on-device organization (collection/shelf creation) for Kobo and Kindle are much the same (more or less identical) and I'd venture the only thing most users know about. Where the Kobo shines is the fact that it's open to using a tool like Calibre in conjunction with it which would be especially nice with any need for bulk organization and for being able to automate the organization process.

For myself other than having a single collection on my Kobo where I add books for the year once I've finished them I prefer to just use the on device search and search by author, title or series which suits me about 99% of the time. If I'm doing more in depth searching than that I'll use Calibre on a PC or Calibre Companion on a tablet to look through my library.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote