Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, I can't reproduce this. I put a kepub on the device with 674 pages. I paged forward a bit and it counted correctly. Then I skipped to the next chapter and it incremented as expected. Page forward some more, close the book and reopened it and the page number was the same as when I closed it.

I also used the page slider to randomly pick a spot in the middle of the book and tried again. I didn't see any problems with the page numbering.

Some weird page numbering can happen if every file in the book isn't in the ToC or there are multiple ToC entries for a file. That might explain what you are seeing. If so, it isn't strictly a bug. This is against what specs Kobo have published for kepubs, so the behaviour is undefined.

In any case, we've wandered off topic for the thread, and we should move to the Kobo forum for any further discussion.
It only seems to happen when I use the Toc; if I use the next chapter button, I don't see the problem. When you say "skip to the next chapter", did you pick the chapter from the ToC?

Edit: And FWIW, I believe I see this behavior for all kepubs.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It only seems to happen when I use the Toc; if I use the next chapter button, I don't see the problem. When you say "skip to the next chapter", did you pick the chapter from the ToC?

Edit: And FWIW, I believe I see this behavior for all kepubs.
Sorry, I misread the steps. And I'm seeing the problem. When I looked, the page number shown after selecting the chapter in the ToC, is the page number of the start of the chapter I as in when I opened the ToC. The page number gets fixed if I page backwards to the previous chapter or any other method other than the ToC to go to a different chapter.

This is with sideloaded kepubs. I'll try a purchased kepub later.

And as it's something that is bugging you, I assume you have reported it to Kobo so they know it is a problem you need fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #18
cubes123
cubes123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
In fairness to the OP (although I can't say I'd ever use it like them), I can completely understand how it might be easier to swipe 5 times to jump ahead 5 chapters than doing 3 taps to get to the same place via the TOC. Less thinking and easier do the taps than finding the right spot in the TOC. This is one of those cases where something that might seem easier/faster (going to TOC) might not actually be easier/faster in real use.
Exactly! I don't have the PW anymore so I can't see how it works for real. But I imagine if I don't remember/know the exact chapter number I want to go to, I'll have to go to ToC > Pick a random chapter. Then when it's not the one I wanted, I need to repeat the steps again a few times until I find the exact one I want.

Well, I guess I will hang on to my Kindle Touch until it dies (hopefully not soon!)
cubes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

And as it's something that is bugging you, I assume you have reported it to Kobo so they know it is a problem you need fixed.
I don't believe I said "it was bugging me"; I just mentioned it in case it matters to the OP.

I gave up on trying to communicate with Kobo unless it is absolutely necessary (and minor bugs, like this one, fall below my threshold for "absolutely necessary").
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubes123 View Post
Exactly! I don't have the PW anymore so I can't see how it works for real. But I imagine if I don't remember/know the exact chapter number I want to go to, I'll have to go to ToC > Pick a random chapter. Then when it's not the one I wanted, I need to repeat the steps again a few times until I find the exact one I want.

Well, I guess I will hang on to my Kindle Touch until it dies (hopefully not soon!)
The Kobo may work well:

1 You click once to bring up the menu
2 You may need to click again to bring up the navigation menu
3 Than you can click on the next chapter button

At this point the chapter is displayed and the navigation menu is still active, so a single click to advance to the next chapter.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The Kobo may work well:

1 You click once to bring up the menu
2 You may need to click again to bring up the navigation menu
3 Than you can click on the next chapter button

At this point the chapter is displayed and the navigation menu is still active, so a single click to advance to the next chapter.
You should be saying if that's ePub or Kepub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #22
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should be saying if that's ePub or Kepub.
It's both
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
It's both
My mistake. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So to get to the bit with a Kobo Reader to skip chapters only takes two taps plus however many to get to the chapter you want from the chapter you are currently on.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So to get to the bit with a Kobo Reader to skip chapters only takes two taps plus however many to get to the chapter you want from the chapter you are currently on.
For kepubs, it is 1 or 2 taps.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 AM   #26
Enthusiast
guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.guest can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Inkbook 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubes123 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on an e-reader that can skip chapters with one move? Or if that's non-existent, any tips on how you skip chapters while reading?
Cool Reader has 9 configurable touch zones. Maybe there are other apps that can do this.
So answering your question: every android based e-reader with touchscreen.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Cool Reader has 9 configurable touch zones. Maybe there are other apps that can do this.
So answering your question: every android based e-reader with touchscreen.
The disadvantage would be that Cool Reader is quite possibly the world's least standards-compliant ePub reader. Avoid like the plague!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The disadvantage would be that Cool Reader is quite possibly the world's least standards-compliant ePub reader. Avoid like the plague!
I agree 100%. Cool Reader is really awful. Stay far away.