Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
What is the max size allowed for a Sigil plugin ?

I'm hoping someone can answer this.

Some background. I've written a python app(as a Windows exe) that converts a Word filtered HTML file directly to epub. This is a full conversion -- it ports all Word char styles and paragraph styles to the epub's stylesheet. I was hoping to port this python code to a free python plugin. The current app size is about 17 Mb but since I will not be using the mainwindow part(Tk) for the plugin(I envisage using only one metadata dialog and various error popup windows) the plugin should be much smaller in size. Hence the question. By the way, this windows app does a lot more than just convert to epub.

I already use this app for quick, clean and bloodless conversions of Word filtered HTML to epub and it works fairly accurately and well. It gives me a great start point for using Sigil. But it sometimes has mixed encoding problems on html import. Still trying to resolve that one.

To give you a better idea what this app really does -- please read the App Description in the application help doc below. The plugin itself will have somewhat reduced functionality -- for instance it will not be able to convert html to Kindle mobi.

App Help Doc(Word docx)

Last edited by slowsmile; 10-04-2016 at 09:50 AM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:19 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is no limit, but the performance would of course degrade. I wonder why the app is 17 Mb though. My Word add-in is nowhere near that size and also has the functionality to convert a Word document to HTML and export a Word document directly to ePUB (amongst many other functions).
I am currently rewriting the conversion to HTML part, which is around 80% I guess. That can also be used standalone outside of Word. When it is finished it might be fairly easy to create plugin that uses it. It would work on Windows, Linux and OSX then. Also, it is much faster than using Word filtered HTML in between.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:32 AM   #3
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Toxaris...Much thanks for that. The reason the windowing app is so big is because I used Tkinter for all the window components -- but the MainWindow won't be needed for the plugin. I also have a simpler command line version of the same converter app(an earlier version with reduced functionality) and that has an overall py size of only about 1.92Mb.

Last edited by slowsmile; 10-04-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:52 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
Some background. I've written a python app(as a Windows exe) that converts a Word filtered HTML file directly to epub.
I'm a big fan of Sigl plugins, however, before you re-invent the wheel, you might want to consider using (or customizing) existing solutions such as Toxaris's e-PUB Tools word plugin or DiapDealer's DOCXImport plugin. If you're not happy with either solution, you could even run the command line version of Calibre to convert a DOCX file to an epub and then import it to Sigil.

Quote:
The plugin itself will have somewhat reduced functionality -- for instance it will not be able to convert html to Kindle mobi.
You could recycle parts of my KindleGen plugin code for that or use the command line version of the Calibre converter.

Quote:
The reason the windowing app is so big is because I used Tkinter for all the window components -- but the MainWindow won't be needed for the plugin.
BTW, the Sigil plugin runner code has a built-in preferences handler that allows you to automatically read JSON preferences with bk.getPrefs().
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 AM   #5
slowsmile
Witchman

@Doitsu....I don't really think that I am re-inventing the wheel. I've had a good look around all the online converters and most of the Sigil plugins. To be honest, I became fed up with converters that only ever seemed to achieve partial conversions to epub or conversions with errors. When my own app converts the Word html to epub -- it's a full conversion. In other words all Word paragraph styles and char styles are directly ported to the epub stylesheet and html text on conversion. Any in-text html styling is also directly ported to named styles in the epub stylesheet. At the heart of my app is the html to epub function which I developed from scratch. And that's really not the only thing this app does -- it does a heck of alot more than just convert to epub -- for instance it also automatically removes all Word html garbage code, fixes simple punctuation spacing errors, creates a doc TOC and Nav TOC(device TOC), creates and adds the Go To guides to the content.opf file, adds global presets to help avoid LITB problems, etc etc. Best read the App Description in my Help Doc link(top post) if you want all the detail.

Last edited by slowsmile; 10-04-2016 at 08:52 AM.