Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Forum restructuring: Device sections

In anticipation of new e-book readers emerging in 2009 (*fingers crossed*), we're considering reorganizing the forum structure for the e-book devices. The suggestion is that we move "out" of the "E-Book Devices" section and sort the device sections by vendor:

Quote:
Sony Devices

* Sony PRS-700
* Sony PRS-505/500 ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Developer Corner

iRex Devices

* iRex Digital Reader
* iRex iLiad ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Software Releases
* Developer Corner

Amazon Devices

* Amazon Kindle ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Developer Corner

Bookeen Devices

* Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Developer Corner

Other Devices

* Apple iPhone
* HanLin eBook
* BeBook ereader
* eREAD STAReBOOK
* Fictionwise eBookwise
* Polymer Vision Readius
* Legacy Devices
* Others
Before we do so, I would like get as much feedback as possible. Thank you.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Great plan. But does it make sense to give each device its own "Accessories" section? Wouldn't a general e-book device accessories section work, too (reasoning: often accessories for one device work also for another)?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Forum Restructuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
In participation of new e-book readers emerging in 2009 (*fingers crossed*), we're considering reorganizing the forum structure for the e-book devices. The suggestion is that we move "out" of the "E-Book Devices" section and sort the device sections by vendor:
Not to many new ones. Ive only just got my Sony PRC505. However as long as the relevant threads remain easy to find, and the structure is fairly flat I dont see an issue with this at all.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
john07961
john07961 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 and Bookeen Gem3
Seems like a good idea to me
john07961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that looks good to me, alex. the only suggestion i have is to give the ebookwise a top-level forum of its own, rather than putting it in the "other devices" forum ; it gets a good bit of activity and people are still buying eb1150 regularly and coming here with lots of questions. a developper corner for the eb1150 might be a good idea as well as nick, ashkultz, et al are quite actively working on new tools and fonctionnalities. i don't think it needs a separate "accessories" forum however an accessories prefix would be a good idea as the question of "where to buy the charger outside the US" comes up regularly ! and there is also the question of where to find smartmedia cards.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Great idea! Although, I would add 'PDA' to the list of 'Other devices'. Also, make sure that the different models from each vendor, is highlighted in bold or something similar, so that noobs like me, wont have a trouble finding the right forum..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we seperate out the 505 from the 500 please in the Sony forum? The 505 does more then the 500 and not discussion of the 505 is appropriate to the 500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Shouldn't the Hanlin/Bebook/EZReader/Walkbook be separate forum section?

And I concur with Zelda. I think the ebookwise has enough activity to stand on it's own.

I'd also like to suggest one section under "Other Devices" for WinCE, PocketPC, WindowsMobile, etc. I think there might be enough activity to justify it. "Windows Handhelds" might be a good name.

EDIT: David just beat me to it. And his suggested name is better, too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
In participation of new e-book readers emerging in 2009 (*fingers crossed*)
It seems to me that word "anticipation" would look better in there - or did you mean "participation", and I just don't understand the expression?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we seperate out the 505 from the 500 please in the Sony forum?
It would be rather difficult. Someone would have to go through the forum and sort the related threads out. Given that the 505 replaced the 500 more than one year ago I am not sure if that work would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It would be rather difficult. Someone would have to go through the forum and sort the related threads out. Given that the 505 replaced the 500 more than one year ago I am not sure if that work would be better spent elsewhere.
I don't think it would be that much work to sort it all out. And it would eventually make things a lot more appropriate in the end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
It seems to me that word "anticipation" would look better in there...
That's right. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
In general, I agree. However, we must be careful to keep the number of forum sections in check, or the sheer amount of sections could intimidate our members. We do not want to add forum sections merely based on "what's out there"; rather, it should be based on where the user interest lies and where most discussions are being held.

In particular in regard to OEM devices, which are more or less identical, we should try to keep the number down.

Quote:
And I concur with Zelda. I think the ebookwise has enough activity to stand on it's own.
When you mean "stand on its own", I assume you mean having its own parent section. This doesn't make sense to me. eBookwise does already have its own section. Adding it to the parent would imply that there are more eBookwise devices out there, now and in the future. I think that would be inappropriate given that its an abandoned product.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Quote:

In general, I agree. However, we must be careful to keep the number of forum sections in check, or the sheer amount of sections could intimidate our members. We do not want to add forum sections merely based on "what's out there"; rather, it should be based on where the user interest lies and where most discussions are being held.

In particular in regard to OEM devices, which are more or less identical, we should try to keep the number down.
I was suggesting that the V3 and its clones be pulled out of Other Devices and share one forum, not each clone have its own forum. I was thinking that 2 of its sub-forums would be Troubleshooting and Firmware.

And even if you don't move the V3 forum, you should merge the Bebook forum into it. It is a V3 clone after all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I was suggesting that the V3 and its clones be pulled out of Other Devices and share one forum, not each clone have its own forum.
There is no doubt that Jinkie will release new devices next year. We already know about the EZ Reader Plus and Pro (V3-like with WiFi and/or touchscreen), and presumably the V9 will finally see the light of day.

So a Jinkie Devices forum makes sense eventually. However, I think it would currently only include Hankin V3 since it isn't clear to me that BeBook should be a separate forum. Presumably it is separate based on volume of threads, but I can't imagine many of us wanting to read just one of BeBook and Hanlin V3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Don't forget to reserve a place for the Plastic Logic reader that's coming in 2009. Pretty sure it's going to be a big thing.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote