Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
HannahChimes
HannahChimes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How to Permanently Remove Special Offers?

I finally gave up and just paid Amazon to remove special offers, BUT I STILL GET THIS STUPID THING:
[oversized image deleted by moderator]
I tried the subscribe, unsubscribe again trick, but every time I connect to my school wifi or my PW restarts (which it does often, due to crashes), I get this page, and I have to go through the process again.
I want to have the screensavers hack running, but it doesn't have priority over Special Offers. I know this is because the makers didn't want to anger Amazon, but it still annoys me that there isn't some way to solve this problem.
Does anyone have a PERMANENT fix to this, or a hack with priority?

Proof I'm not just trying to cheat the system:

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-05-2015 at 08:29 PM.
HannahChimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Feel free to edit your post and insert a smaller image, or add it as an attachment.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-05-2015 at 08:37 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you asked Amazon Customer Service what they think is going on?

The fact that it is crashing a lot is odd, though. IME Kindles don't crash like that. Did you try a factory reset?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
HannahChimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Have you asked Amazon Customer Service what they think is going on?

The fact that it is crashing a lot is odd, though. IME Kindles don't crash like that. Did you try a factory reset?
Amazon has no fix for it, they just say to resubscribe, change it back. I have to do that constantly to fix it.

I was unaware the crashing was unusual... I'm pretty peeved to learn that.

I don't want to Factory Reset because I've spent HOURS adding jailbreaks and other mods, and I don't want to have to do it again.
Is there a way to backup my mods so I can just add them all back to my Kindle at once?
I feel like that would either not work, or bring back any problems I have.

PS: No, the crashes weren't caused by the modding.
I've had crashes and wifi problems from day one.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, you can backup the KUAL extensions folder, and anything that requires a .bin install can be bundled in MobileRead Package Installer.

But persistent crashes and WiFi issues suggests a possible hardware issue -- they are known to happen sometimes. You should be able to get it replaced under warranty -- or for that matter even outside warranty, Amazon is known to do that surprisingly often.

Of course, if you have the PW2 not the PW1 you *might* get a replacement already on fw5.6.x which will be un-jailbreakable without serial port access.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
HannahChimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, you can backup the KUAL extensions folder, and anything that requires a .bin install can be bundled in MobileRead Package Installer.

But persistent crashes and WiFi issues suggests a possible hardware issue -- they are known to happen sometimes. You should be able to get it replaced under warranty -- or for that matter even outside warranty, Amazon is known to do that surprisingly often.

Of course, if you have the PW2 not the PW1 you *might* get a replacement already on fw5.6.x which will be un-jailbreakable without serial port access.
I was afraid it was hardware...
Sadly, I have the PW2, and I'm fairly certain with my luck I'd get the newest framework for a replacement.
It's okay though. I can deal with crashes, I just wish I had a better screensaver/fonts hack.

Tags
hack, help needed, paperwhite, screensaver, special offers