Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
nergal11
nergal11 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Smile Kindle DX memory extension

I have a Kindle DXG bought in 2013, international version.

I may want to increase its memory.

I saw in some battery replacement videos, (like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SoQZ0kD5Zk) that only things to replace fast in DX are, battery and, wireless module.

I may want to disable the wireless module, to use its sockets for memory. Any kind of memory, only thing necessary is that it will work.

And what about firmware? How it can be possible to adjust the firmware accordingly?

Last edited by nergal11; 11-10-2014 at 03:18 AM.
nergal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The WAN module is connected via Mini-PCI-E connector, and is a half-size card, I think. It does *not* use the PCI-E bus, since there is no PCI-E bus. The connector standard specifies USB connections via that connector, and that is what is being used, AFAIK (re-check by issuing "lsusb" on the command line on your KDX).

Thus, you should be able to replace it with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Express-Bracke.../dp/B00MTIOF1Q

I'm not aware if it had been done before, but it seems straightforward.

A thing I would check before going on is how the system reacts to the WAN module being missing.

When you have done the installation part, there are some ways I can think of to integrate it with the firmware:

- try to use it instead of the internal eMMC for the user data store. Could prove to be difficult, OTOH might not be too hard - I'd try with just "mount --bind" of the new block device over the user data partition block device. Or change all the references in the scripts. A benefit of doing it this way would be continued USB mass storage access (well, at least I think so).

- just mount it into the user store. Straightforward, needs just one new line in the boot scripts. Or even make it user-triggerable, say, via a launchpad script. Downside: You can not work on the files using USB mass storage. If you're using your device more "hacker-style" anyway, that might not bother you since you could use USB networking plus SCP/SFTP to access the files.

The latter part needs a bit of insight into scripting on Unix/Linux systems. Oh, and you might need to build a USB mass storage host driver for the kernel. The hardware part seems straightforward.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You might want to keep in mind that we have never found the "magic key" on the DX or DXG required to de-brick them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, important hint. So keeping everything in non-permanent storage and working on what has been tested (launchpad, usb networking) is probably the way to go.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle dx, memory, memory extension, sd card